• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The only fire starting methods that they covered that weren't covered here were a couple of "instant" tinder sources that you can buy from most survival supply companies. They were big fans of the Titan matches.

Some DIY stuff they covered was the use of duct tape as emergency tinder. twist strands of it into "sticks" with the adhesive side out and it's supposed to burn pretty well and slow enough to get a fire going. They also said you could ball it up and use a knife to cut rips into it to increase surface area and airflow to produce a reliable tinder ball that will burn hot and long enough to dry out marginally wet kindling to get a heat source going.

The nice thing is that they covered about 5 or 6 types of atypical fires for specific situations. Proper signal fire building, pit/trench fires for high wind scenarios, long-log fires for long term heat output, platform fires for surviving in heavy snow pack, etc. They included step by step instructions and even diagrams with the more esoteric types. When I'm done with the issue, I'll cut out the pertinent pages and scan them as PDFs and attach them here.

Very nice, thanks for that.

Since duct tape is a common and critical item, good to hear of its potential as a fire aid - new concept for me.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Here's the paracord that UST calls Paratinder, it has an inner cord that is exceptionally easy to light (i.e. tinder):

ParaTinder-Bracelet-Orange-768x768.jpg

https://www.ustbrands.com/product/paratinder-bracelet-w-flint-firestarter/

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Okay, better late than never right? Here's the recent F&S "fire" article scan on how to build different types of fires. It also suggests keeping a small plastic and metal pencil sharpener (like you used at your desk as a kid) in your kit to use on small sticks to create wood shavings for tender. I'll likely try this at home in the near future. Attachment is .pdf for ease of download for you guys.

With all the spring-like weather we've had recently, I'm ready to go hiking and camping!

Attachments

• F&S Fire Article.pdf
      5.2 MB · Views: 100

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Okay, better late than never right? Here's the recent F&S "fire" article scan on how to build different types of fires. It also suggests keeping a small plastic and metal pencil sharpener (like you used at your desk as a kid) in your kit to use on small sticks to create wood shavings for tender. I'll likely try this at home in the near future. Attachment is .pdf for ease of download for you guys.

With all the spring-like weather we've had recently, I'm ready to go hiking and camping!

The pencil sharpener works and if you get the kind that has a little container to catch the shavings you can hike along making tinder as you go. When the container is full dump it in a plastic baggy and by fire making time you have plenty of makings.:thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Excellent reference, thx!

Noticed there was no mention of chemical fire, using a magnifying glass (water bottle), using a battery & wire, nor any primitively methods. All good in any case.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    What are two (or three) of the most easily found, and practical chemicals for one to have in a camping/hiking/backpacking kit that when combined together start a chemical fire?
    I would not recommend any such kit. All of the common and most of the uncommon chemicals can be hazardous, some alone, others when combined. Most combinations create a nasty noxious smoke while reacting, and could leave.toxic residue. Better to learn and practice primitive techniques that have been working for thousands of years.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    I would not recommend any such kit. All of the common and most of the uncommon chemicals can be hazardous, some alone, others when combined. Most combinations create a nasty noxious smoke while reacting, and could leave.toxic residue. Better to learn and practice primitive techniques that have been working for thousands of years.

It looks as though you prefer the hand drill technique.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    It looks as though you prefer the hand drill technique.

Hand drill, bow drill, fire plough, fire piston, flint and steel, etc. Takes time to become really proficient to drill a fire in 2 minutes or less, but I have never been at a loss for fire starting ideas and materials in the dripping wet woods since I did so.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    Hand drill, bow drill, fire plough, fire piston, flint and steel, etc. Takes time to become really proficient to drill a fire in 2 minutes or less, but I have never been at a loss for fire starting ideas and materials in the dripping wet woods since I did so.

certainly very cool skills to have!:)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I went camping with the boy scouts and cub scouts recently. One of the tasks the boy scouts had was to go over fire starting with the cubs. Face palm central. I had to take over and show them, took me 2 tries with a flint and steal. I got tinder started originally, but my kindling didn't catch. I was amazed how they didn't know the basics and they wanted to use matches to start their fires. I simply said no and you have 3 options; friction, sun, or flint and steal.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I went camping with the boy scouts and cub scouts recently. One of the tasks the boy scouts had was to go over fire starting with the cubs. Face palm central. I had to take over and show them, took me 2 tries with a flint and steal. I got tinder started originally, but my kindling didn't catch. I was amazed how they didn't know the basics and they wanted to use matches to start their fires. I simply said no and you have 3 options; friction, sun, or flint and steal.

Great lesson.

100% of every certified survivor competitor that participated in the tv show Alone took a firesteel.

Probably the #1 item.

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    Great lesson.

100% of every certified survivor competitor that participated in the tv show Alone took a firesteel.

Probably the #1 item.

That is pretty funny because with just basic practicing, you can get this skill and keep it. My choice would have been a good knife!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Thanks, and I hear you; no fun in noxious smoke.

The point of this thread is to explore other fire starting options, beyond lighters and matches (always carry a lighter, and another means of starting a fire).

I've been quite impressed, and now have some practice with a ferro rod. I'm interested now it actually practicing with (1) flint/steel, (2) chemicals (just to know what works, but agreed last resort), and a more (3) primitive method.

Currently thinking the pump drill is the most effective, although it is a bit more engineering; but once its learned and I have some experience/confidence with it, is far superior to other primitive methods, I think.

This video is the most simplistic version of it I've found, and the drill, can be used not only to start fires, but also as a drill to make holes in wood:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom