• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Ok, I'm sure it's on there somewhere, but I can't find it. I searched Makarov & P64 and came up empty. Anyone know how it's listed?

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I have a slightly different issue since I'm a DC resident. DC has a roster, but also recognizes MD, CA, and MA. I'm trying to figure out if the P64 is on any of them (it's not on DC's small list). I figured it was on MD's roster since I know some folks here own them. I'll search under Radom and see if it's there. If not, I'll check CA & MA.

Edit: P83 is on the MD roster, but no P64

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As already said, the roster is for 1985 and newer handguns. All pre-1985 handguns are exempt from the roster.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Did a little more research and was finally able to find an answer (reminder, we're talking about DC, not MD). There is a note on DC's roster that exempts "Curios and relics", so the P64 is good to go.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's the awesome part of the P64 they are all C&R. Bought 2, thinking of snagging another one.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I have one but really get no satisfaction from shooting it. Single handed it's just fine but using two hands it downright painful! They are really very nicely made and finished pistols though:

ExTexan

Oct 14, 2018
    Can you please explain something to me? Guns manufactured before 1985 are not on the roster. Does that mean you cannot *own* one (that you bought before that date), or that you don't *have* to *register* one? I still have the bill of sale for mine, which is clearly dated 1978. (Besides, it's a Bauer, which went out of business in 1984.)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I have one but really get no satisfaction from shooting it. Single handed it's just fine but using two hands it downright painful! They are really very nicely made and finished pistols though...

Put a Polish Iron grip on it. You'll be pleased with the difference.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To clarify : Pre 1985 handguns , don't have to be on the Roster . Unless specifically banned , all pre 1985 handguns are good to go .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To clarify : Pre 1985 handguns , don't have to be on the Roster . Unless specifically banned , all pre 1985 handguns are good to go .

Yeah, you just tell them (barracks) or the FFL inputs it is pre-1985 when doing their inputs on the 77r.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, you just tell them (barracks) or the FFL inputs it is pre-1985 when doing their inputs on the 77r.

Put a Polish Iron grip on it. You'll be pleased with the difference.

Or wear gloves. A number of my handguns will rub my shooting hand the wrong way after a bit. Especially the little ones.

Also you can try a higher weight recoil spring. Using a #20 spring in mind (stock is 18#) tamed the recoil a bit. Still snappy and I don’t think I’d want to dump several boxes through it. Quite fun though to put a box down range with it. Especially fun to take my Cz82 along with. One of these days I am going to take both my P64s to the range and shoot them akimbo just to be stupid (obviously practicing safe handling, etc. etc.)

Though for “favorite walther PPK clone” handgun, I do like my Cz50 more. Only slightly larger, but .32acp combined with those fractions of an inch makes a platform you can really shoot all day long. P64 would be easier to conceal and I’d probably want 6 rounds of 9Mak JHP (my P64s have never had a hiccup with JHP) than 8 rounds of ball .32acp (my Cz50 can’t feed JHP properly, I get a number of unsafe FTF nose dives, like it’ll shove the bullet back a few hundredths of an inch in to the case!!!)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Polish Iron grips are nice. Only drawback is they're pretty rubbery, which might slow the draw.

The guy also makes an extended mag release. A weaker hammer spring will make the absurdly heavy DA trigger pull into something manageable - you will no longer have to use both hands to overcome a 30 pound trigger pull!

https://www.polishirongrips.com/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Polish Iron grips are nice. Only drawback is they're pretty rubbery, which might slow the draw.

The guy also makes an extended mag release. A weaker hammer spring will make the absurdly heavy DA trigger pull into something manageable - you will no longer have to use both hands to overcome a 30 pound trigger pull!

https://www.polishirongrips.com/

I did find with mine and an 18# hammer spring that there appears to be a slight hesitation somewhere in the sear when carefully pulling in SA. If I don’t pull the trigger “confidently” (no, not mashing it) and instead just barely give it enough pressure to break it, the hammer doesn’t fall with sufficient energy to set off the cartridge. DA works 100% and if I give the trigger a good pull in SA it works fine also. In 36 odd rounds I had 3 light primer strikes in SA. I am torn between trying a 19# and/or a 20# spring and just learning not to caress the trigger in SA mode.

I will probably try both.

Gun feels like a totally different animal with the lighter hammer spring and heavier recoil spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom