• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've been searching for shooting related software and apps. Basically anything that related in any way to firearms or shooting. The problem with apps is that most of them are not rated on the various app stores. Perhaps because they are targeted to a limited such a limited audience.

Anyway I'm going to post here the ones that I've found first then follow up with some individual post with specific software or apps. I figure it would be useful to have one general thread to collect and share information.

Here is the list if what I have discovered so far. I'll post as much information that I know and edit/modify this list as others post corrections or suggestions.

The List:[/SIZE=6]

Ballistic AE [/SIZE=4]
    http://ballisticapp.com/
    Uses: Ballistic Calculator, Range Finding Tool, Record Target Data, HUD Correction Calculator
    Features: Extensive load library, Saves data to cloud, sharable across multiple devices.
    Operating System: iPhone Only
    Cost: $13 Standard Edition, $30 Advanced (sometimes on sale for $15)
    Notes: I currently use this as my range and to workup custom hand loads. Has a ton of features but once you learn them it's a useful tool.

Strelok[/SIZE=4]
    http://www.borisov.mobi/
    Uses: Ballistic Calculator, HUD Reticle simulator showing holdovers.
    Features: Extensive library of scope reticle images. Large Bullet and Cartridge library. Save data to dropbox and transfer between operating systems.
    Operating System: iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 8, MAC.
    Cost: Standard free on Android and $5 iOS, Pro version $10
    Notes: I met a bunch of engineers from JPL at their club shoot at AGC. A few of them were using this instead of slide-rules. I figure if it's rocket scientist approved it should be more than good enough for a dumb-ass like me.

Nikon Spot On[/SIZE=4]
    http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:1
    Uses: Allows users of Nikon scopes to calculate range for their specific reticle styles.
    Features: Includes Ballistic table and field chart creator.
    Operating System: iOS, Android, Web
    Cost: Free
    Notes: Quicker and Simpler to use than the two apps noted above when using a Nikon scope.

Shoot Yes![/SIZE=4]
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoot-yes!/id915061352?mt=8
    Uses: Primary use is to record and store shots on targets. Has extensive tools for reloaders including inventory tracking of reloading components as well as ammunition.
    Features:
    Operating System: iOS only
    Cost: Free trial, $10 for all features
    Notes: Just discovered this today seems useful but I'll edit this later once I learn more.

Target Scan[/SIZE=4]
    http://www.targetshootingapp.com/wiki/TargetScan_App
    Uses: Primary use is to record and store shots on Match targets by using the camera on your phone to snap a photo of the target the software calculates the target score.
    Features: Ability to generate statistical analysis reports of shooting sessions and export reports.
    Operating System: iOS and Android
    Cost: $8-18 depending on version
    Notes: I purchased this last thinking that I could manually touch the target to place shots. It does Not work that way. It is still a very powerfull tool. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFdcyrpstY

***added 10/17/17***

GeoBallistic[/SIZE=4]
    https://geoballistics.com
    Uses: This is a basic ballistic calculator but with a few additional useful features.
    Features: Map mode where the user can pinpoint their location via GPS and draw on a map overlay to range targets. Also interfaces with the Weatherflow meter to record current weather conditions that impact the ballistic firing solution.
    Operating System: iOS and Android
    Cost: Limited Free version $15 full version
    Notes: I discovered this app after purchasing the Weatherflow device. Overall its not as comprehensive as Strelock or Ballistic AE but the map ranging tool is unique and usefull. I tested various landmarks that I could see from my house and compared the readings against my laser range finder and I was surprised that the results were +/- 2yd. Not bad. Add the integration with the Wetherflow device which provides density altitude data and you have a very functional device similar to a high end Kestrel for $95. Thats not bad.

Here is a screen shot of the map view.
    18aba95a3577fbc666a01a3f9aa82d2f.jpg

Here is the link to the Weatherflow devices. http://weatherflow.com/wind-weather-meters/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I recently installed several apps to try them out and so far Ballistic AE is getting most of my attention. This past weekend I watched their training videos to get up to speed. It is a complex app and can be a bit intimidating, but the video's help to get you up to speed quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuFmyaoTNFQN-lrC9U1TtA

Here are some other apps to explore:

Lapua Ballistics App http://www.lapua.com/en/resources/lapua-ballistics-app.html
    Uses: Specifically tailored app for all of the Lapua branded loads.
    Features: Simple interface to give you elevation and windage based on Lapua branded loads
    Operating System: iOS, Android
    Cost: Free
    Notes: Simple interface, it does allow the creation of custom loads but is best meant for Lapua loads.

I have been using the Lapua branded app for several months for my Precision Rimfire rifle. It works well since I primarily use Lapua Center X. The app has been spot on for ranges from 50-300 yards. At 300 yards I'm using 53 MOA.

I also installed Trasol based on another sites recommendation. I haven't had a chance to dig too deeply into this one yet.
    https://deserttech.com/trasol.php

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Great thread! Is there a way to use these apps in the field without a smart phone?

Possibly buy using Iphone or android developer tools on a pc laptop. But you can purchase a used ipad or old phone pretty cheap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I run Ballistic AE on my iPhone. The iPad version is just Ballistic.

Both use the same calculating engine as JBM Ballistics.

I don't need anything else.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I run Ballistic AE on my iPhone. The iPad version is just Ballistic.

Both use the same calculating engine as JBM Ballistics.

I don't need anything else.

To demonstrate the usefulness of Ballistic AE I want to describe a real life experience. I was shooting at Ft Meade this past Saturday with a fellow member. We were there to test out my new Stealth BA creedmoor.

We had assumed that we would be able setup at 50 or 100 yds and sight the rifle. That was wrong. The group leader said we were shooting at 600yds first before the wind picked up.

Here is where things get interesting.

Since the scope had not been zeroed the only thing I could was boresight on an orange traffic cone that I had "Eyeballed" at about 50yds away. I punched in the factory 120gr A-Max load and set the Zero in the software to 50yds. Changed the ballistic profile to G7. Entered in all other known variables and adjusted elevation 31 clicks per the chart data. Then pointed to a 12" steel target 600yds down range.

First shot was about 4" to the left 2nd and 3rd shots hit steel. Made a slight elevation and windage adjustment. 4th shot was on paper 3" from the bullseye.

We couldn't believe it worked so well. I also realized in the excitement I had forgotten to change the scope magnification from 6x. I mean I was shocked. Neither of us had fired that far.

At $1.50 per round if 6.5cm I'm certain that I've recovered at least half the cost in ammo saved on Saturday.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Here's a few that I know of...CMP Match Tracker, Where To Shoot by NSSF, NSSF News, Arms Rack - Find and Compare Guns & Firearms, Ammo Seek. These are on IOS.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here's a few that I know of...CMP Match Tracker, Where To Shoot by NSSF, NSSF News, Arms Rack - Find and Compare Guns & Firearms, Ammo Seek. These are on IOS.

Thanks for posting these. I just downloaded CMP Match Tracker and I'm competing in some High Power matches this year so it looks useful at least for practice. I will check out the others too and add links to the main post.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used Ballistic AE at the range to help hunters sight in and set their rifles for max point blank range.

We can do it in 3 - 5 rounds.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Nikon's Spot On will work with Nikoplex scopes as well. Hopefully soon we will have Mil adjustments in Spot On as well. Go into the program and check it out, lots of info to be gathered. I have saved a lot of ammo using it to sight in at 50 yards while wanting a 100 or 200 yard zero. Remember, the results you will get are only as good as the data you enter. I encourage guy's to get their load chronographed and measure the scope height mid bore to mid scope for the best possible accuracy. If you are strictly a MRad or MOA type of guy Nikon now has it's new BLACK Series of scope's hitting the market. Illuminated reticle and a great price, top scope goes for $650. A while ago I asked you guy's what you wanted in a longrange scope and the answer's I got help make the Black line possible. Now if we can just get mil adjutment's added it will be a nice addition to Spot On.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-11%20at%209.52.57%20AM.png

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Wasn't there a game where you could dissemble firearms?

Gun Disassembly - Allows complete disassembly and reassembly of firearms, and operation of firearms. Costs money to get most firearms.

Ammo Seek - Ammo, Firearm, Magazine, and Reloading search engine.

Gun Bot - Ammunition and component search tool

+1 for Strelok, Boris will add reticles if you contact him.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom