• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I impulse ordered one Saturday night from Cabela’s and it was in store for pick up this morning. I made the hour trip to the store this afternoon and after 40 minutes to complete a 4473 I walked out of the store with a Remington 870 Express, 12 gauge, 28” barrel with hardwood furniture, and a case of Remington target shells since it was in the aisle on my way to checkout. I looked at the super mag version but didn’t think it was necessary, plus the money saved went towards the shells.

I’m planning on putting this shotgun to use mostly for clays and home defense if needed. A 28” barrel isn’t exactly maneuverable for home defense purposes but it’s better than nothing if it’s all I can get to for some reason. I ordered some Hornady Critical Defense and some Federal Power-Shok buckshot to try from TargetSportsUSA since it was $9/box and $2.75/box respectively with Ammo Prime. If anyone has any other home defense ammo suggestions I’m open to suggestions… as long as it’s not get an AR. :D I’m already working on that.

The 4473 took so long because it’s on an iPad and once I was done (5 minutes) the rest was the sales associate going slow on his iPad portion and stopping to talk every five seconds. The guy was nice but this very easily should have been a 20 minute process max. There were a bunch of other people at the firearm counters being helped that were all gone by the time he got the final check done on it. He explained why they do all of the checks with such gems as “to make sure we aren’t in cahoots” and “we’re not terrorists”. The paper 4473 is so simple I don’t know why Cabela’s had to add technology to the process.

Also Cabela’s is now sending all firearms out the door with installed trigger locks, two weeks ago when I bought my Marlin Model 60 they were taking them off before final boxing. They didn’t charge me for a trigger lock, but it’s a change worth mentioning since he almost forgot to put the key in the box.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Congrats, Rural (Multiple Long Guns) Guy. For HD, you can’t go wrong with 00 buckshot. Wish you much success with that 870. The only real thing that you won’t be able to do with the pump, is a quick pair in sporting clays, especially when they go opposite directions. Other than that, trap, skeet, clays, upland hunting, waterfowl, deer, bear, home defense, door breaching, uh.... you get the picture, are no problem with the Remmy. Good luck.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Cabela's automates the 4473 because some of the staff are idiots. This way it keeps errors to a minimum and reduces training time.

Extra barrels are available for the 870 if you want something shorter. A slug barrel would work for deer as well as home defense.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Attachments

• 20180915_080233.jpg
      20180915_080233.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 550

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Congrats, Rural (Multiple Long Guns) Guy. For HD, you can’t go wrong with 00 buckshot. Wish you much success with that 870. The only real thing that you won’t be able to do with the pump, is a quick pair in sporting clays, especially when they go opposite directions. Other than that, trap, skeet, clays, upland hunting, waterfowl, deer, bear, home defense, door breaching, uh.... you get the picture, are no problem with the Remmy. Good luck.

I haven't tried sporting clays yet even though its what most places around me offer, when I get around to it I'll probably try the 870 and see how it does. If I enjoy them I'll probably end up with another shotgun just for it.

With an 870, you will never need another shotgun. CDNN has cheap home defense barrels.

Extra barrels are available for the 870 if you want something shorter. A slug barrel would work for deer as well as home defense.

Shorter barrel is a good idea, leave it installed unless I'm going somewhere for clays or hunting.

Well, maybe a few more.

It might be the only one I need, but I do have my eye on a over under in the future. I also bought tickets to that Ducktoberfest raffle that was posted this morning which has a lot of shotguns as prizes.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I decided to order a 18” cylinder bore barrel with a bead sight for my HD barrel. Brownells happened to have a 10% off and free shipping coupon going so it was $127 instead of $141. Figured I’d jump on it while it was in stock and had the discount.

Anything special I should do to store a barrel when not in use?

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I impulse ordered one Saturday night from Cabela’s and it was in store for pick up this morning. I made the hour trip to the store this afternoon and after 40 minutes to complete a 4473 I walked out of the store with a Remington 870 Express, 12 gauge, 28” barrel with hardwood furniture, and a case of Remington target shells since it was in the aisle on my way to checkout. I looked at the super mag version but didn’t think it was necessary, plus the money saved went towards the shells.

I’m planning on putting this shotgun to use mostly for clays and home defense if needed. A 28” barrel isn’t exactly maneuverable for home defense purposes but it’s better than nothing if it’s all I can get to for some reason. I ordered some Hornady Critical Defense and some Federal Power-Shok buckshot to try from TargetSportsUSA since it was $9/box and $2.75/box respectively with Ammo Prime. If anyone has any other home defense ammo suggestions I’m open to suggestions… as long as it’s not get an AR. :D I’m already working on that.

The 4473 took so long because it’s on an iPad and once I was done (5 minutes) the rest was the sales associate going slow on his iPad portion and stopping to talk every five seconds. The guy was nice but this very easily should have been a 20 minute process max. There were a bunch of other people at the firearm counters being helped that were all gone by the time he got the final check done on it. He explained why they do all of the checks with such gems as “to make sure we aren’t in cahoots” and “we’re not terrorists”. The paper 4473 is so simple I don’t know why Cabela’s had to add technology to the process.

Also Cabela’s is now sending all firearms out the door with installed trigger locks, two weeks ago when I bought my Marlin Model 60 they were taking them off before final boxing. They didn’t charge me for a trigger lock, but it’s a change worth mentioning since he almost forgot to put the key in the box.

I bought a new shotgun at Joel Etchins a couple of weeks ago, did the 4473 on paper and in less than five minutes the entire transaction (including credit card payment) was complete.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I bought a new shotgun at Joel Etchins a couple of weeks ago, did the 4473 on paper and in less than five minutes the entire transaction (including credit card payment) was complete.

Having done the 4473 via iPad twice now and once by paper and pen, the paper is so much more convenient. I write faster than I can type and jump through the screens on an iPad and I don’t have to worry about auto-correct. I think I’ll be sticking with my local FFL on future purchases unless I happen across a great deal, have gift cards, or something jumps out from the Cabela’s gun library while in store.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Congrats. I personally found Shotguns to be incredibly fun and versatile. I've also found that they are pretty non-intimidating for getting new people into shooting.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I decided to order a 18” cylinder bore barrel with a bead sight for my HD barrel. Brownells happened to have a 10% off and free shipping coupon going so it was $127 instead of $141. Figured I’d jump on it while it was in stock and had the discount.

Anything special I should do to store a barrel when not in use?

Oil it down with a good oil like CLP or one of the many other ones on the market and keep it in one of those Silicone gun socks. If its in a safe with a Golden rod it will be fine, but check it every couple of months.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

Joel Etchen is top notch. He must be doing something right because he sells a boat load of Berettas. I was with my friend when he bought 2 guns on the same day from him for $10,000.00+

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    I made the plunge of getting the synthetic stock Remington 870 with the shorter magazine tube for HD purposes. I’m still deciding whether I like the original stock, or if I want to put on a “tactical” stock with the pistol grip.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Wish treated mine better in hind site but I have had it forever never had an issue with it . Used hard on the farm , clays and hunting . Have a nice Beretta but still find myself grabbing 870 ,just something about a pump.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Congrats. Now you can put a cantilever rifled barrel on it and turn it into a hard-hitting hunting rifle. Mine is a 20 gauge but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20180921_193112.jpg
      20180921_193112.jpg
      100.3 KB · Views: 98

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If you have a family at home, you ought to get an 18" Mossberg 500 to fill the HD role while you have the Remington is out playing.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom