~Maryland Shooters Forum Knife: Benchmade Griptilian AXIS —NEWEST THREAD w/ UPDATES!—

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If we did the forum knife with the listed models & prices, will you participate???

• YES---I would like 1 (ONE) Mini-Griptilian (model 556)

Votes: 51 44.3%
    • YES---I would like 2 (TWO) Mini-Griptilians (model 556)

Votes: 4 3.5%
    • YES---I would like 3 or more (THREE & +) Mini-Griptilians (model 556)

Votes: 1 0.9%
    • YES---I would like 1 (ONE) Full-Sized Griptilian (model 551)

Votes: 60 52.2%
    • YES---I would like 2 (TWO) Full-Sized Griptilians (model 551)

Votes: 2 1.7%
    • YES---I would like 3 or more (THREE & +) Full-Sized Griptilians (model 551)

• NO---I am NOT interested in a forum knife with the proposed models/options

• NO---I am NOT interested in a forum knife with the proposed prices

Votes: 2 1.7%
    • NO---I am NOT interested in a forum knife AT ALL (not interested regardless of the details)

Votes: 3 2.6%
    • UNDECIDED---I am not sure

Votes: 8 7.0%
    • OTHER---Please Specify

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Maryland Shooters Official Forum Knife: CURRENT STATUS

OK…bear with me! This will get kind of long, but my goal is to put all of the information in here to explain the status, the proposed future, the processes, any updates, and what still needs to be decided upon to allow the ensuing discussion to finalize the course of action to what will hopefully become the “Benchmade-Maryland Shooters 2014 LE Forum Knife”!!! Woot woot!

KnifeWorks, the company that handles most of the limited edition Benchmade runs, is the company that has the most experience with forum knives and fantastic pricing. Their pricing was the lowest option by a significant margin. They will engrave the knives for free however we desire. And so the below pricing includes the engraving, however it may be.

Benchmade and their AXIS (click HERE to learn about this system) was, by a landslide, the most mentioned maker & operating system in the first thread...the Benchmade Griptilian is one of the least expensive AXIS knives, and it is one hell of a nice knife capable of damned near anything. For those who like USA products, this knife is a 100% USA-designed & made product. The Grip line is also 100% ambidextrous, one of the easiest knives to open, uses a manual opening to avoid any legal issues with automatic or assisted, and uses one of the best locking mechanisms on the plant (AXIS). It is one of the most liked folding knives ever made. It can compete with knives costing over twice its MSRP. The Griptilian is a high performance cutting tool and I dare promise you that you will fall in love with it.

KnifeWorks can do a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian in various configurations for us.

The knives I got the most specific quotes on are the Benchmade 556 Mini Griptilian and Benchmade 551 Griptilian (full-sized) because they are Benchmade's most popular models, and they will be the best value for this sort of group buy. Essentially, the more basic the run is, the cheaper each knife will be, and the easier the logistics. Based on pricing, I would advise we do one or both of the knives below in the standard drop point with thumb stud, plain-edged, 154CM blade, with a handle color of either black, tan, dark green, or dark blue (rather than something more exotic). Keeping the configuration uniform is partly what will allow the price to be so low, and the standard options are the most common configurations because they are arguably the best for general purpose usage (EDC or every day carry, which is what the Grip is built for.)

If the run is varied, then I would advise we make the ONLY variation be a Mini and Full-sized model. The more variation, the more complicated, the longer the time, and the more expensive it gets...complicated forum knives rarely succeed. As this is the first go (and there can always be more if this is successful), I think that is even more reason to avoid significant variation/unusual options. Something like just the standard model with the black handles & satin engraved blade would look and perform great, and keep this much easier to do.

For most people, I would argue that the Mini is going to be the best EDC of the two (and it is less expensive.) At 2.9 inches of blade, it is not "mini" at all and a better choice for usage around non-knife people or in areas that may have length limits maxing at 3 inches. The Full-Sized is a big knife. Both are capable of heavy tasks.

Engraving-wise, based on the previous thread, it sounds like most people would like to see "Maryland Shooters" and "2014". I would also advise we add "# of 100" as it makes each knife unique and makes the run more special. The engraving specifics can be debated later tho...first the knife as there isn't anything to engrave without...

So here is a hypothetical on two proposed base knives, and an explanation of the process, which will follow the core question which will determine what comes next...your take and your interest in doing this...

If this isn't a good proposal, feel free to say something as I am just throwing things out and trying to use the previous thread as a general basis. While it is hard to pick one knife everyone will like, I dare say the Griptilian can fill this role as well or better than any other single model as it has the value, ease of operation, blade steel, ergonomics, and performance that will please.
    ====================================================================

The Specs on the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian 556 AXIS & Benchmade Griptilian 551 AXIS

Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian AXIS
    (smaller-sized, standard drop point blade)
    TOTAL PRICE: $71.50 each, includes engraving (shipping TBD)
    Benchmade's Page for the 556
    KnifeWorks Page for the standard 556

Specifications:
    • Blade Length: 2.91 in., plain edged
    • Blade Thickness: 0.12"
    • Blade Material: 154CM
    • Blade Hardness: 56-61
    • Overall Length: 6.78 in
    • Closed Length: 3.87 in.
    • Blade Style: Modified Drop Point
    • Clip: LH/RH Reversible, tip up
    • Lock Mechanism: AXIS
    • Weight: 2.56oz.

BM556H41.1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benchmade 551 Griptilian AXIS
    (full-sized, standard drop point blade)
    TOTAL PRICE: $78.50 each, includes engraving (shipping TBD)
    Benchmade's Page for the 551
    KnifeWorks' Page for the standard 551

Specifications:
    • Blade Length: 3.4in., plain edged
    • Blade Thickness: 0.115
    • Blade Material: 154CM
    • Blade Hardness: 59-61
    • Overall Length: 8.02in.
    • Closed Length: 4.62 in.
    • Blade Style: Modified Drop Point
    • Clip: LH/RH Reversible, tip up
    • Lock Mechanism: AXIS
    • Weight: 3.75oz.

551.jpg

Details on How This Would Work

Quantity: We will need a minimum of 100 based on the previous thread and a discussion of how many needed in order to get the best pricing...you will never find these knives for so low again so they can make the most awesomest gifts you have ever given!!! :innocent0
    (you can order as many as you like as there are no quantity limits!!!)

Payment: two possible ways:
    1) The traditional method is one person (usually site owner or staff) collects the money from those in the Group Buy. They give KnifeWorks their personal or company credit card number. That credit card is charged when the knives arrive for engraving. If MD Shooters handled this transaction and had this ability, we could do something like a “round up” so that a few bucks can be donated to MD Shooters in appreciation of the Forum Knife and to help keep the site running.
    ...OR...
    2) We come to an arrangement with KnifeWorks in which each person can pay them individually using a Credit Card. They rarely do this, but would be willing to despite this being a much more complicated route. This WILL be a logistical nightmare, however…

Note that because engraving means a knife cannot be resold else-wise as a new knife once it is engraved, payment IN FULL is required before delivery. KnifeWorks does not places charges for these types of orders until the knives ship from Benchmade, at which point they charge the card.

Turnaround: It will take two-to-four weeks for KnifeWorks to get the order from Benchmade, and around a week to engrave 100-200 quantity...so 4-5 weeks for the entire process of placing the order to having the knives ready.

Shipping: two possible ways:
    1) Have them all shipped as a single package to one person where they can be distributed in-person and mailed to those not able to pickup (KnifeWorks would not charge to send them all in this fashion as a single shipment)
    ...OR...
    2) Have KnifeWorks ship each item individually to each buyer (this will cost more money per-knife and is arguably money that need not be spent)
    (option 1 strongly advised because we can save a lot on shipping this way as we are all so close...those further away can work something where I or the site owners can ship via USPS First Class to them for a lot less than if KnifeWorks ships 100+ knives individually)

Meeting In-Person: a few people suggested perhaps a meet and great in-person. In addition to sounding like a hell of a lot of fun, doing this would allow to hand out knives to those who can attend (which avoids individual shipping)...those who cannot then could have the option to pick up from whoever holds the knives, or just have it shipped USPS First Class to them for a lost less than having KnifeWorks do this.

Colors: we can do a specific color handle if it is one KnifeWorks carries...a black, tan, or dark green handle is probably going to make the most sense over the more wild of colors.

Specifics on Color Variation

HERE ARE IMAGES OF THE COMMON COLORS:
    (note that a black blade will increase price and the finish is not as durable as satin nor is the engraving, so I suggest staying with a satin blade as it is cheaper and more durable)
    (the black looks really good in person, hides dirt and marks the best of all, and goes with any occasion…so it’s not a bad color by any means so I’d be cool with any color including black!)

Base/Standard 556 Mini with satin blade and black handle (pictured above)
    BM556H41.1.jpg

Base/Standard 551 Full-Sized with satin blade and black handle (pictured above)
    551.jpg

556 Mini with black-coated blade and dark green handle
    BM556BKODD2.jpg

556 Mini with black-coated blade and tan/sand handle
    BM556BKSN.1.jpg

556 Mini with satin, partially-serrated blade and blue handle
    BM556SBLUH141.jpg

MD Shooters is cool with the run, SO NOW THE BIGGEST QUESTION...
    Based on the given information, if we did a run of Benchmade Griptilians in which you could choose one or both of the size options (no quantity limit), are you going to participate?
    Please specify your response in the poll…it allows multiple answers to help gauge quantity, so PLEASE CHECK ALL OPTIONS THAT APPLY TO YOU!!! and THANK YOU!!! :D
    (I realize with not all details completely finalized, you may not be able to commit 100% but if you are mostly sure, that is what I need to know…plus quantity because this cannot happen if not enough interests exists)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    First Note

Based on how fast the responses are adding up, I dare say this is going to work! :D

I may not have said this well in my first post and want to note...color/configuration will have to be consistent in order to get these prices...if we start doing multiple configurations, the price will go up and the entire project will be much more difficult (actually, it would be a logistical nightmare.) These prices are significantly under retail and so the markup on them is quite low. By doing them in consistent bulk, we are saving a lot of money (these are $100+ knives in stores!!!)

We can likely do a variation between large and small though, perhaps do the Minis in black and the Full Sizes in dark green or tan, or vice versa, but all Minis and all Full Sizes would have to be the same color and blade configuration for the stated prices.

Blade-wise, I would suggest we do satin on both regardless of color. That saves like $10 a knife as black-bladed Benchmades are generally $10-20 more than their satin counters.

As many people noted price was important in the first thread, staying with a satin blade and a single color handle ensures the best prices.

I'd be game for a full sized OD grip black blade. Or whatever. Any chance to get the MDS shield on the blade?

I figure the final vote before actually doing the ordering would be on the engraving.

Moving this to the Group Buy section might bring some traffic which might not frequent the Edged Weapon section or use the new posts function... Or at least a post (and in the Water Cooler) there pointing here... just an idea.

I will make threads there provided it is OK with the Mods here...good idea! :D

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I will be watching for final options. IF I am in, it would be for one full sized model. I might also be interested in one without engraving for daily carry, but that's frankly a BIG might.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I would buy one of each regardless of size if a ComboEdge was offered...even if the length option went away.

I will keep an eye on this to see the final decision.

Thank you for putting this together.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm definitely down for the mini and I love the tan grip. Might be down for a full size as well. Thanks again for your efforts and detailed information.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I clicked the mini, but I would be in for one of either. I would like the black blade with tan grips, but would be cool with any color scheme as long as it isn't crazy.

As for shipping - I would be happy to pick it up in the central MD area, or a meet-n-greet. If I were you I would definitely collect the money before the order is finalized and sent to production, takes the issue of payment to KW off the table for you.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I would buy two. Full size. Would prefer Tanto with partial serration. They do make one. Stronger blade design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom