LE Spyderco Delica4 to Benefit The National Law Enforcement Officer Museum Foundation

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I just ordered myself one. The Delica is an awesome knife; blue handled Delicas are very rare, and this turquoise handle is the only Spyderco to ever utilize this color. The Spyderco Delica and Endura series changed the entire game of folding knives when they delivered a light, strong, and capable one-handed folder that anyone and everyone could afford. Over the past quarter-century, the Delica has seen four major generation revisions, with over one-hundred different versions and Sprint Runs using different steels, blade grinds, handles, opening mechanisms, labels, and limited-edition runs for organizations they partner with. This is definitely one of their coolest to date as the handle color is just beautiful.

Every sale results in Spyderco making a contribution to the National Law Enforcement Officer Museum Foundation (NLEOMF)...plus the knife itself is a great tool to spread the word of the foundation and its mission. It seems almost natural for this to be done by Spyderco given how popular their products are within first-responder communities, and their work with numerous law-enforcement, military, and emergency service agencies is well-known and highly-respected. So if anyone is interested, it's a really great knife for a really great cause (and IMHO one of the best-looking and most unique Delicas ever made).

C11FBLM_L.jpg

Large Photo Showing Engraving (Click-to-View)

About the Spyderco Delica4 Blue NLEOMF (model C11FBLM)
    In the year 2000, the United States Congress and President Bill Clinton authorized the establishment of a National Law Enforcement Museum in Washington, D.C. The goal of this museum is to tell the story of American law enforcement through exhibits, collections, research and education. Designed as a natural extension of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, it will be the largest and most comprehensive museum to honor the duty and sacrifice of America's law enforcement officers. Building and exhibit designs for the museum are currently in progress and countless artifacts are being collected and catalogued to document the contributions and accomplishments of our nation's law enforcement officers.

To support this worthy cause and to continue to do our part to honor our country's law enforcement personnel, Spyderco is proud to offer a special edition of our popular Delica knife. The Commemorative National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Foundation Delica features a blue handle and a laser-engraved logo of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Foundation (NLEOMF), the organization responsible for both the memorial and museum projects.

Spyderco will donate a portion of the sales of every commemorative Delica to the NLEOMF to support the museum project. The museum is currently scheduled to open in late 2013. For more information on this project, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial and related programs and events, please visit the NLEOMF web site at www.nleomf.org.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=715

About the National Law Enforcement Officer Museum Foundation
    The mission of the National Law Enforcement Museum is to tell the story of American law enforcement through exhibits, collections, research and education. The Museum dynamically engages the broadest possible audience in this story in an effort to build mutual respect and foster cooperation between the public and the law enforcement profession. By doing so, the Museum contributes to a safer society and serves to uphold the democratic ideals of the U.S. Constitution
    http://www.nleomf.org/museum/

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Very cool and very good review. I think I need to make another contribution to an organization who carries the name a former co-worker and friend who is missed.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks cool.

Think there is a quality (American) knife maker that might entertain doing a special MSI or MDS promo knife?

Yes.

Benchmade is a likely candidate here...especially with their Griptilian series which they often do laser-engraved LE runs. The large presence of LEOs on this forum is also a benefit as BM is a very involved company with LE and they do a TON of LE-LE (Limited Edition-Law Enforcement) runs (Spyderco too although Benchmade probably does more LE runs in regards to forum knives). Both companies also give tremendous discounts to LE (if you are LE, military, or a first responder, DON'T buy a Benchmade or Spyderco without checking into LE discounts...even more so Rick Hinderer as active LE can purchase Hinderers for about 75% less than what they sell for).

Chris Reeve is a possibility as well, but the viability of a LE MD Shooters CRK Sebenza is more complicated given a $350-$500 knife isn't going to get as much interest (as much as I love my Sebenzas). Rick Hinderer is the same situation. ZT may be possible, but KAI (parent company Kershaw) doesn't do much of these sort of runs to my understanding.

I've got contacts with a few companies and am close to a few knife nuts whom have far more contacts than I. It's definitely a possibility. An absolute minimum of 25 knives would be a guess...a run of 100-200 becomes much, much, much more viable, will attract more interest, and will open a lot of options. Having formal retailers on this forum is also a major plus as a BM or Spydie run could then be coordinated through one of our local authorized retailers.

For knife choice, I'd advise staying for a 3-3.5 inch blade with a good quality but non-exotic steel, a handle that is something basic (perhaps in an unusual but likable color like dark green, gray, desert tan, digital camo, etc.), and a locking/opening mechanism that most people tend to like. Anything overly exotic or unusual or expensive will limit who is interested. And preferably, a MSRP of under $100 and street price of under $80. The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian or Spyderco Delica are IMO some of the best choices...good prices, top-notched quality, and both companies have major laser-engraving capabilities. Also, the full-sized Grip and Endura provide the possibility of a 'parallel' run of almost identical knives but of two sizes giving members more options. The Grip/Mini-Grip are IMHO the most viable option set for a limited run (check the BM tool for options on the Grip http://www.benchmade.com/customize/).

I've helped coordinate a few limited runs. Feel free to shoot me an email if this is something people want to do and I'll shoot a few emails to people in companies that could make it happen. A thread to gauge interest would be useful as being sure interest exists is the first step.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Yes.

Benchmade is a likely candidate here...especially with their Griptilian series which they often do laser-engraved LE runs. The large presence of LEOs on this forum is also a benefit as BM is a very involved company with LE and they do a TON of LE-LE (Limited Edition-Law Enforcement) runs (Spyderco too although Benchmade probably does more LE runs in regards to forum knives). Both companies also give tremendous discounts to LE (if you are LE, military, or a first responder, DON'T buy a Benchmade or Spyderco without checking into LE discounts...even more so Rick Hinderer as active LE can purchase Hinderers for about 75% less than what they sell for).

Chris Reeve is a possibility as well, but the viability of a LE MD Shooters CRK Sebenza is more complicated given a $350-$500 knife isn't going to get as much interest (as much as I love my Sebenzas). Rick Hinderer is the same situation. ZT may be possible, but KAI (parent company Kershaw) doesn't do much of these sort of runs to my understanding.

I've got contacts with a few companies and am close to a few knife nuts whom have far more contacts than I. It's definitely a possibility. An absolute minimum of 25 knives would be a guess...a run of 100-200 becomes much, much, much more viable, will attract more interest, and will open a lot of options. Having formal retailers on this forum is also a major plus as a BM or Spydie run could then be coordinated through one of our local authorized retailers.

For knife choice, I'd advise staying for a 3-3.5 inch blade with a good quality but non-exotic steel, a handle that is something basic (perhaps in an unusual but likable color like dark green, gray, desert tan, digital camo, etc.), and a locking/opening mechanism that most people tend to like. Anything overly exotic or unusual or expensive will limit who is interested. And preferably, a MSRP of under $100 and street price of under $80. The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian or Spyderco Delica are IMO some of the best choices...good prices, top-notched quality, and both companies have major laser-engraving capabilities. Also, the full-sized Grip and Endura provide the possibility of a 'parallel' run of almost identical knives but of two sizes giving members more options. The Grip/Mini-Grip are IMHO the most viable option set for a limited run (check the BM tool for options on the Grip http://www.benchmade.com/customize/).

I've helped coordinate a few limited runs. Feel free to shoot me an email if this is something people want to do and I'll shoot a few emails to people in companies that could make it happen. A thread to gauge interest would be useful as being sure interest exists is the first step.

Love that griptilian in tan. I'd be down if this comes to fruition :)

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    NickZac what about having a run done outside of the parent company? Have a local business procure the knives and then have them engraved by a local engraver. Keep the extra cost in state and in the community. This allows more choices and has a slightly better chance of higher sales.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    They have arrived.
    tu7aby2e.jpg
    pu7e7a6y.jpg

Your's came faster than mine...it looks GREAT! I absolutely LOVE the blue. I've been buying Delicas since about 2001...IMO it is the neatest color to ever be released! I really wish they would also do it in an Endura as I've noticed a lot of LEOs here strongly prefer the Endura likely due to the extra size.

NickZac what about having a run done outside of the parent company? Have a local business procure the knives and then have them engraved by a local engraver. Keep the extra cost in state and in the community. This allows more choices and has a slightly better chance of higher sales.

It's possible although laser-engraving is pretty expensive equipment wise. Hard-engraving may be an option too, but I am not sure what limitations would apply. With laser-engraving, we could probably get a logo on there. With Benchmade's facility, they have substantial laser-engraving abilities and I believe Spyderco does too. But if it were done locally that would def give it more of a special touch.

Either way, we will need a local dealer to handle the run. Someone like Gus at Accurate Pawn (one of our IPs) I know for a fact is a premier Benchmade and Spyderco dealer (as in he is a premium authorized-retailer which is beyond just the basic dealer because he purchases more quantity further in advance and gets a better price due to volume discounts). I've done a lot of business with him over the years with knives and he would be a great guy to do something like this through. Also, he's an AD for virtually every major knife maker...

Anodizing is another possibility, but that would mean choosing a base knife with an aluminum or titanium handle, which would drive up costs. FRN (reinforced fiberglass-nylon) like on the Spyderco Delica/Endura or Benchmade Grip is a big bang-for-buck because it is as easy to machine as most plastics, almost as durable as G10 (which is more durable than most metals), has a low base-cost, and is generally grippier than a metal or wooden handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom