• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Never seen such a bumper crop like we have here. Last week a bald eagle had one in talons with a red tail hawk giving chase. Neatest wildlife battle I've ever seen. Get a Pa. license and come on up BUT they are the smallest tree rats I've ever seen. Shotgun only, no .22.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    some of the MD public hunting areas where they offer deer hunting will allow shotgun for squirrels. I took my son to Hugg Thomas 2 years ago. I went after school (he drove and met me there) so I had the guns and he did not of course. Walk the trail and be ready cause they will pop our or run pretty quickly. Or you can camp the acorns up on the hill where the rail road track goes under the hill.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Check DNR. Most of the public land you can hunt small game on. Just ensure you know what the restrictions are, central Maryland it is going to pretty much be shotgun only on public land (air guns are treated as rifles FYI, so they are also banned in most of central Maryland). So we are clear, yes, it is a blanket DNR restriction on hunting deer with a rifle in Central Maryland, but if you look at pretty much all public WMAs and parks, they are bow, ML or shotgun only (and some are bow only). All that means if you've got some private land in central Maryland that you can hunt and your county or town doesn't restrict you, you can use a rifle for small game on that private land.

Anyway, I'd check out some of your local WMAs. Especially early and late in the squirrel season you aren't going to see many other hunters out there. Get in to ML or gun season for deer and you'll probably be tripping over other hunters.

This September I am going to try to take my 10yr old out to Greenridge to go camping and squirrel hunting (watching, next year I am hoping to get him his apprentice license).

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I hunted the turkey opener in Western Md(no luck).I saw more squirrels on this trip than the last 4 years put together.With the number of acorn caps and chewed shells,I think they had their way with nuts last fall and winter.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I love me some squirrels. ..

But be careful of the early season...warbles are still active....they will get your attention..

I don't usually eat squirrel till after first frost....

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I had to look that up, never seen it before.
    That's nasty looking, I think I'd get rid of anything infested like that.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’ve tasked my oldest son with shooting the squirrels off the corn pile from the tree stand.

He got 3 tonight but couldnt find one of them

ETA, damn picture is blurry

Attachments

• E20C4998-61C7-4A2B-9875-E22904E7A157.jpg
      E20C4998-61C7-4A2B-9875-E22904E7A157.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 643
    Last edited:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Brian, my boy did the same thing last year, we would see 10-12 at a time. This year I haven't seen them where the corn pile is and I think the reason is last year we had beans in the fields this year it's corn. I see them run to the field then back to the woods with an ear in their mouth.

He needs to get back out n shoot more this yr, that squirrel pot pie we made last yr was deeelish.

What rifle is he using?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Brian, my boy did the same thing last year, we would see 10-12 at a time. This year I haven't seen them where the corn pile is and I think the reason is last year we had beans in the fields this year it's corn. I see them run to the field then back to the woods with an ear in their mouth.

He needs to get back out n shoot more this yr, that squirrel pot pie we made last yr was deeelish.

What rifle is he using?

Its a Marlin model 80, and it will shoot the bullseye out out of a target with CCI ammo

We are overrun with squirrels this year, i may put a $2 bounty on their heads to keep him motivated :)

I also have an awesome recipe for squirrel stew, i’ll post it when i find it.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Its a Marlin model 80, and it will shoot the bullseye out out of a target with CCI ammo

We are overrun with squirrels this year, i may put a $2 bounty on their heads to keep him motivated :)

I also have an awesome recipe for squirrel stew, i’ll post it when i find it.

I Love the look of a wood stocked rifle. The Ruger American I gave to my boy, while accurate, (4 of 5 he got last year were headshots @30 yds with regular bulk box ammo) just doesn't have that same look.

A squirrel stew sounds great for these cold days we got coming.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ironically my recipe calls for 3 squirrels.

Here is my sons haul from tonight

Attachments

• E42F483C-A53B-455D-AFB1-CF4FBC390962.jpg
      E42F483C-A53B-455D-AFB1-CF4FBC390962.jpg
      190.3 KB · Views: 276

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Looking for places to squirrel hunt this year and a hunting partner in the Pasadena area

Elk Neck is a little far but is open to small game with rifle and shotgun, Ive gotten quite a few there with 22. Also Frederick Municipal forest and Cunningham falls are both open to rifle and Shotgun All around Baltimore is pretty much BOW only and many places restrict it to only DEER. Which doesn't make much sense, but be sure to thoroughly check through DNR

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had called 2 years ago and Hugg Thomas was OK for Squirrel with shotgun. I waited to go with my teenage son until after deer season though. We went in the afternoon on a warmish day. Shot a couple I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom