• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Well, Elk Neck State Park has a shooting range. Not sure if that's what you're looking for. It's still a range, but is on public land. I haven't gone there (too far to drive for me), but have heard it's decent. 100 yard rifle/shotgun range, 50 yard pistol range, plus archery range and a sheet range (but no thrower provided).

From the photos, the range facilities look well maintained. Annual pass runs you $50 ($25 if you're 62 or older), or $10 for a day pass. Cheaper than any private shooting facility.

On the website I linked above, scroll down to "Shooting Range" near the bottom of the page for details.

The OP asked for some place that was not a range and Elk Neck Range has some strict range rules, target placement and allowed positions, etc, and you will get hassled for violating them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Monongahela Nat'l Forrest in WV allows for informal target shooting outside of formal shooting range facilities . Must be done safely , proper back stop, etc . But its a hike to get there .

phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Is there any place one can go to shoot outdoors that isn't an outdoor shooting range, that won't get you arrested or harassed by people or police?

I know your looking for that "great white buffalo" in terms of an outdoor, non-range spot to shoot, but I thought I would offer a recco on a nice range anway. For a couple years I was a member of the Maryland Rifle Club and shot out of the Associated Gun Clubs near Marriottsville. I really enjoyed the facility. It had a great 200 yard range, and was well run. LOL, I do remember a range officer there who was quite the ball buster (in a good way....he called out guys who needed to be called out). He kinda looked like a real life, Yosemite Sam.

I hear that you can now practice from a holster with certification. I might have to join again...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Is there any place one can go to shoot outdoors that isn't an outdoor shooting range, that won't get you arrested or harassed by people or police?

Are you, like me, looking for a genuine NON RANGE place to shoot, where you can take a garbage bag full of empty soda cans or box of clay pigeons, cast them on the ground, or sand or dirt pile, and plink away? Or chase after one of those bright orange rubber targets once your first shot gets it tumbling and scooting along the ground? That's what I am talking about. I am not looking for a place to shoot paper targets stapled to a frame. We all have something like that somewhere around us. A friend of mine in Wisconsin is a member of just such an interesting place. It's a club, but it's a 750 mile drive for you and me.

Anything like that around the Delmarva?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Are you, like me, looking for a genuine NON RANGE place to shoot, where you can take a garbage bag full of empty soda cans or box of clay pigeons, cast them on the ground, or sand or dirt pile, and plink away? Or chase after one of those bright orange rubber targets once your first shot gets it tumbling and scooting along the ground? That's what I am talking about. I am not looking for a place to shoot paper targets stapled to a frame. We all have something like that somewhere around us. A friend of mine in Wisconsin is a member of just such an interesting place. It's a club, but it's a 750 mile drive for you and me.

Anything like that around the Delmarva?

No, other than the national forests that have been mentioned.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Call Delmarva sporting clays. They used to, and I believe still do, allow you to shoot at crap on their range so long as it was safe and you cleaned up after yourself. So they’ll probably veto you shooting your 300 win mag at brake rotors at a dozen paces, but will probably be fine if you want to pop soda cans at the 100yd berm or toss a rolling target out near the 50yd berm if you are shooting it with a Rimfire.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

Downtown Baltimore...

The Police will never find you there...

And the neighbors are used to the noise...

Win, Win...

(GRIN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom