• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revwood

Cynical Optimist
    Feb 2, 2012
    Kent Island
    My Sig Sauer Mosquito (.22LR) jams or misfires almost every time I try to fire it. We're talking an 80 - 90% failure rate!

The gun is so unreliable that it just sits in the safe. The only reason I haven't sold it is that I don't want to pass my problem on to some other unsuspecting soul. I bought the gun used, so I suspect this is what happened to me.

I have tried several different brands of .22LR and it doesn't seem to like any of them. Is it possible that it's the gun and not the ammo? I'm thinking maybe the firing pin isn't hitting the round hard enough or something similar.

The gun only cost around $250. Is it worth having a gunsmith investigate? Anyone have a recommendation on a gunsmith?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    This is a known problem with the skeeters.
    Easy non gunsmith fix is to load mags one round at a time.
    Polish the feed ramp.
    Lube the snot out of it.

Mine workes like a charm now.

Cut and paste from SigForum:

Advice...make sure there is a thin coat of oil inside the rail grooves on the slide. Make sure you lubricate the extractor through the little hole on the slide (not too much, but a drop will do). Make sure there is a thin coat of oil on the face of the hammer.

These steps ensure all friction areas are properly lubricated. The gun does not like low velocity bargain basement ammo. But, high velocity rounds are perfect.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Finally fixed mine. Oil it all you want and it will make no difference. The thing is a POS from the factory.

Feed problems can be fixed by grinding a wider, deeper slope on the feed ramp with a dremel. Polish it up real good and that problem will be solved.

The second issue with the Mosquito is the light firing pin strikes. Sometimes you have to pull the hammer back 2 or 3 times to set off a round. This is because the pin is not allowed to go far enough forward because it is being stopped by a cross bar the runs over the top of the bolt. If you grind a notch in the bar where the firing pin hits, it will work like a charm. You can find Ytube videos of this fix.

To remove the bolt from the slide, loosen the rear sight screw which holds a tab on top of the bolt. The bolt will then drop down with a little help. Be careful to note where the springs go. There is also a very, very, very small detent ball and spring in the left thumb lever of the safety. Cover the area with your hand or a cloth when you remove this as you will never find it should it take flight. Hint: This little bastard is a bear to reassemble.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    One other thing to consider, which happened to me, is that without knowing it, my right thumb was just barely touching the slide which impeded it just enough for it to fail to eject rounds reliably. I've not experienced the light strikes on mine. Not wanting to tempt fate with known issues, however, I only run CCI MiniMags through it and it has been a fun range gun for a change of pace.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lube properly.

Shoot CCI Minimags.

I picked mine up from a MDS member who was frustrated with it. Wear marks indicated a lack of lube. Cleaned, lubed and ran 100 out of 100 Minimags.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    They are my feelings also. The Sig is such a POS that I would not even consider selling it to another unsuspecting fool.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My sentiment exactly. I wouldn't sell mine to anyone I know.

It's a
    POS Jammomatic!!!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A while ago I wanted a .22 semi, mainly to introduce new shooters. I had my mind on a Mosquito or a Walther P22. My FFL told me that he stocks neither and that he wouldn't sell me a Mosquito and the Walther only if I promise not to bug him if it doesn't work. He pulled a Ruger SR22 from the display case told me 'buy this and you will be happy'. I bought it and I am happy.

DYI01

Jan 8, 2015
    He pulled a Ruger SR22 from the display case told me 'buy this and you will be happy'. I bought it and I am happy.

I agree, I bought an early SR22 Pistol and it's been flawless. I easily have over 10k rounds of federal and winchester bulk pack through it. The only time I have issues with it, is when it's extremely dirty I get an occasional failure to feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom