• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am not on the CMP Forums, what is the status of the CMP 1911's, has anyone heard of the prices they will be asking?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Go to the CMP website under sales. Select 1911s and you will see a link for updates to be emailed. I haven’t had any updates either.

Attachments

• 67EF8FE0-DD83-4503-BA33-96732EE1A75E.jpg
      67EF8FE0-DD83-4503-BA33-96732EE1A75E.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 5,895

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Go to the CMP website under sales. Select 1911s and you will see a link for updates to be emailed. I haven’t had any updates either.

I saw that update a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone had heard any rumblings or rumors of price or timeline. I know the CMP forums usually have some good information but I am not on there and I believe some of the members here are.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Just glancing thru the CMP forum, I see nothing new about the 1911’s. The sticky post in the ask CMP thread hasn’t had a new post since January.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I saw a while ago that they were selling 1911 magazines, but those have been absent from the CMP store for a while now. I wonder if they pulled them until they have the 1911s ready to go?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    At the 2018 NRA Annual Meeting there was a session on CMP. Part if it was a discussion of the 1911 distribution. According to the speaker, the early models (WWI/II vintage) will go to auction. The remaining are mostly 1970-1980 models that have been refurbished by the U.S. Army Anniston Depot. The pictures of the 1911A1s appeared to be in excellent condition. Most of the ones he saw were Ithaca. CMP will be accepting requests for the lottery in June or July (I forgot the date) for 8000 (legislation stated this was the minimum amount to be released for this year). The big fear is that if a Democratic majority wins in Congress, the current legislation can be amended and rather than ordering the release of the surplus 1911s, any new legislation will require that they be destroyed. Alternatively, new legislation could order the U.S. Army to release all of the remaining 1911 surplus to CMP or throttle it like this year.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    At the 2018 NRA Annual Meeting there was a session on CMP. Part if it was a discussion of the 1911 distribution. According to the speaker, the early models (WWI/II vintage) will go to auction. The remaining are mostly 1970-1980 models that have been refurbished by the U.S. Army Anniston Depot. The pictures of the 1911A1s appeared to be in excellent condition. Most of the ones he saw were Ithaca. CMP will be accepting requests for the lottery in June or July (I forgot the date) for 8000 (legislation stated this was the minimum amount to be released for this year). The big fear is that if a Democratic majority wins in Congress, the current legislation can be amended and rather than ordering the release of the surplus 1911s, any new legislation will require that they be destroyed. Alternatively, new legislation could order the U.S. Army to release all of the remaining 1911 surplus to CMP or throttle it like this year.

Considering that no major purchases of 1911's were made subsequent to WWII and that most have been rebuilt at some time, I have to wonder if the speaker had his facts straight. I would not hold my breath waiting for any kind of really good deals to be had from CMP. Still, one can hope for dreams to come true!

Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah, I would think he meant refurbished in the 1970's and 1980's using the frames from military procurement of WW2 and earlier, maybe with later slides & parts?
    The chances of there being any all-correct guns are pretty slim. The chances they'll go to the general lottery vice auction are non-existent.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Considering that no major purchases of 1911's were made subsequent to WWII and that most have been rebuilt at some time, I have to wonder if the speaker had his facts straight. I would not hold my breath waiting for any kind of really good deals to be had from CMP.

Really good, no. Comparable to a CMP Garand, priced about 10% below gun show prices? Quite possible.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I might be willing to bet a paycheck that you can buy a nice 1911A1 today cheaper than you can buy a nice 1911A1 from the CMP tomorrow. It matters to collectors whether a pistol has correct parts.

And I would not even bet a ham sammich against your paycheck :party29:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d bet a wet willy, because screw it, why not?

That said I’d be shocked if rack grade 1911s are sold by CMP for under $600 and service grade for under $800.

I’d LOVE to be wrong. I’d stretch a couple hundred more to get something with some history behind it. Especially if you were talking WWII era. But I am not going to pay $1000+ for a worn out 1911 when I can get an otherwise fine RIA for $399. And I can get a nice sr1911 for around $700.

Which reminds me that is one of my next handgun acquisitions is a 1911. Easier to get past my wife if it is “historical”. Dang. It would be nice to have some news from CMP about them. I was under the impression they’ve had them for a few months now. Though maybe it is taking longer to hire and/or train up armorers and inspection programs for them.

Also hoping it becomes a flood of them. They get a couple hundred thousand of them would be nice.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I’d bet a wet willy, because screw it, why not?

That said I’d be shocked if rack grade 1911s are sold by CMP for under $600 and service grade for under $800.

I’d LOVE to be wrong. I’d stretch a couple hundred more to get something with some history behind it. Especially if you were talking WWII era. But I am not going to pay $1000+ for a worn out 1911 when I can get an otherwise fine RIA for $399. And I can get a nice sr1911 for around $700.

Which reminds me that is one of my next handgun acquisitions is a 1911. Easier to get past my wife if it is “historical”. Dang. It would be nice to have some news from CMP about them. I was under the impression they’ve had them for a few months now. Though maybe it is taking longer to hire and/or train up armorers and inspection programs for them.

Also hoping it becomes a flood of them. They get a couple hundred thousand of them would be nice.

$600?? $800?? Lol. You are in red flags territory

Jul 1, 2012
    It'll be twice that I bet... and as mentioned any decent ones will go to auction.
    It will be worth a "fire and forget" application I guess, on the off chance you'd win the option to buy one.

Wongler

Nov 6, 2013
    Carlisle, PA
    I think the CMP 1911 page just crashed, but I saw
    Rack $850 -will need work to be serviceable
    Field $950 - may have minor rust and pitting
    Service $1050 - may have minor pitting

Order packets posting June 4th but orders not taken till September 4th.
    Hopefully the website will be back up soon.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So they're basically offering rusty and pitted junk, at inflated prices, to the bitter clinger masses while taking the cream of the crop vintage pieces and selling those at auction for top dollar.

PS: I think they meant to say: The remaining garbage will be sold based on.......

SVD686

Jan 25, 2016
    Annapolis
    CMP 1911 Information - May 9, 2018

Just got the CMP 1911 email with a link for info which appears to have already crashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom