• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Someone just let me know about a new Browning A5 with a bulged barrel just before the choke tube that happened yesterday. Just before I sat down and read this. A little while ago as a matter of fact.
    Ive seen it before on Browning Sg's with both fixed chokes and screw in tubes. On a Benelli with screw in tubes and turkey loads once before too.
    In two cases aftermarket choke tubes were involved. The one from yesterday and the Benelli.
    I always found patterning was better with steel reducing constriction not conversely.
    Sometimes a bulge is very slight and even concentric to the point where you can hardly tell by eye.
    Cracked ribs, scored barrel walls sometimes rib separated at muzzle or loss of bead unexpectedly could be tell tale indicators.
    Ill see if I can get a picture and should have got it when they guy told me about it.
    3 shells of one variety and a visual is not a very good test for longevity. But then again I know some old time gunners (FUdds) who run fixed chokes and never reported a problem so you may be gtg. They dont worry about none of that stuff.
    Gary White would have been the man to talk to but he just retired and closed his shop up about a year ago.
    I've seen several if not more over the years, full chokes with a bulge just ahead of the choke. And yes the owners have all said the same thing, "I shoot steel and it didn't bother anything!"
    Them I tell them run their fingers over the barrel, you can feel it.
    "Damn?"

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I've seen several if not more over the years, full chokes with a bulge just ahead of the choke. And yes the owners have all said the same thing, "I shoot steel and it didn't bother anything!"
    Them I tell them run their fingers over the barrel, you can feel it.
    "Damn?"

Yeah really, join the Fudd lore camp.
    I looked at the pictures of the A5 I was describing. New 16 gauge, black cloud. Full choke.
    Not so sweet anymore. Muzzle looks like a discounted Ace hardware galvanized gas furnace second rate vent pipe cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom