• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Okay, now I'm familiar with the Browning A5 (the old long recoil model) and Remington and Savage being licensed to make the as the Model 11 and Model 720 respectively. I also knew of the Remington 11-48 (brought out in 1948 using cheaper stamped steel parts and having the hump removed thus looking more like the 1100 to follow) but what I wasn't aware of was the Savage 755A and 775 which look an awful lot like the 11-48. What are the differences between these two models or are they basically the same gun? Both are long recoil Browning style semi-auto shotguns.
    The Savage 775 uses an aluminum receiver and was said to suffer cracking with use over time. Might or might not be true, I don't know.
    Thanks for any enlightenment.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    They’re all of the same ilk as I understand it. My (dads) 755A hasn’t been shot in decades, and I should take some low and medium rounds out and remedy that. It’s a little bit if a jammer, from what I remember. Not something I’d shoot steel in.

Iirc, They’re all JMB designs. I’d guess that each brand made some small changes over the years. But still similar overall.

No hump on the savage. Smooth, rounded.

As far as exact differences, I’ll follow along for more detail.

Shotgunworld dot com has some knowledgeable folks if you don’t get enough information here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , the 11-48 can probably be described as using * Browning Principle * , but is decades too late to be a JMB Design . The 1100, 11-87, M760, M742, etc could be described as have 11-48 recievers .

FWIW , my Dad's favorite shotgun on purpose was the Savage 725 , because he prefered the balance w/ the alloy reciever over that of the Browning or M11 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom