• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hope this is ok please delete if not allowed.

One of my subscribers put together this piece. I thought he put together a really easy reading article.

One thing Id like to point out. His photography is really interesting (mainly because it doesn’t require a studio).

Just uses a white tablecloth, $50 light box set and an iPhone. Kinda cool how far technology has progressed you don’t need thousands of to dollars in lighting, cameras, lens to do decent pics. (You can but that’s takes away money from guns).

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/forgotten-u-s-infantry-rifles-of-world-war-i/

Jul 1, 2012
    Agree, great photos!
    I'll have to sort through the text, it's not in my wheelhouse and it takes a while nowadays for new info to assimilate :)

bhumbertson

MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2013
    Clear Spring, MD
    Thank you

Thank you for sharing. I'm currently on a mission to own all the main rifles US military from 1775 through today, or at least semi auto versions. The only one I'm going to have trouble with for sure is the M1A due to Maryland laws.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thank for sharing, a well written article. Had no previous knowledge of Trapdoors and Krags being dusted off for second line and training duties.
    On the Ross front it's a challenge to find a MKII that isn't one of the US purchased examples here in the US. They're that "plentiful". And as a Ross fan it's a wonderful thing. Imagine how difficult it would be to add a Ross to your collection if these roughly 20k examples had never been imported (loved the tidbit about NY State having to deal with a very stiff tariff, shades of the recent Trump tariff).
    On the Three Line Rifle front you can learn even more in Luke Mercaldo's Allied Rifle Contracts in America. Goes into wonderful detail about the realities of the small arms business during WWI. Not all rainbows and lollipops.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Very cool. I know next to nothing about WWI hardware other than the 1903 & bayonets. I am afraid to learn anymore - WWII rifles have already set back my retirement a year or so.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Very cool ! Stuff like this I look forward to popping up on here . Very interesting and I picked up some new knowledge. Thanks for putting this up!

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Anyone interested in similar stories should check out C&Rsenal on youtube. Othais and Mae have hours of video footage on most, if not all, small arms that saw a sniff of duty in WWI.

The 1903 development timeline is fascinating and caused huge problems. Which led to Krags, Trapdoor Springfields and the like getting retrofitted and used by rear echelon and non-combat troops overseas.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Thank for sharing, a well written article. Had no previous knowledge of Trapdoors and Krags being dusted off for second line and training duties.
    On the Ross front it's a challenge to find a MKII that isn't one of the US purchased examples here in the US. They're that "plentiful". And as a Ross fan it's a wonderful thing. Imagine how difficult it would be to add a Ross to your collection if these roughly 20k examples had never been imported (loved the tidbit about NY State having to deal with a very stiff tariff, shades of the recent Trump tariff).
    On the Three Line Rifle front you can learn even more in Luke Mercaldo's Allied Rifle Contracts in America. Goes into wonderful detail about the realities of the small arms business during WWI. Not all rainbows and lollipops.

I have a picture of my wife's Grandfather holding a Krag rilfe when he served in WWI. He operated narrow gage trains to the front.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I knew about most of these being used but not trap doors and Mosins being used by US troops.Makes sense cause Gew88/05 were used by rear line and and some regiments in Germany. Make use of what ya got

If you think about it, 15-25 year old guns being used should not sound unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom