• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Howdy everyone,

Are there any good tier lists for shotguns and the various manufacturers that make them?

I am thinking something divided up by use (sporting, hunting, tactical, etc.), maybe action/style (pump, semi, O/U, SxS, etc.), and maybe price (budget, middle, premium, and super premium).

I have seen tier lists for ARs, CCW handguns, and I think I've seen some for revolvers, but never shotguns. I don't know enough about them to judge appropriately myself, so I wanted to ask the community. I'd be happy to edit this top post to include the list for the next guy to find.

Here is the general ranking system:

S - Over A-tier, collector, custom, or otherwise ridiculous. Often non-production models

A - Top-of-the-line tier, premium quality production guns

B - Great quality, better than average, probably more affordable than A-tier

C - Average quality, the benchmark, great starting guns

D - Budget quality, passable

F - Avoid at all costs

------------------------------------------------

Category: Sporting Over/Under Shotguns (thanks to dontpanic)

S -

A - Blaser F6, Beretta DT11, Caeser Guerini Invictus, Perrazzi, and other customs

B - Blaser F16, Caesar Guerini Summit, Beretta 690 series, Zoli

C - Beretta Silver Pigeon, Browning Citori

D - Rizonni, FAIR, CZ

F - anything under about $800.

Category: Tactical Semi-autos (thanks to erwos)

S -

A - Beretta 1301, Benelli M4

B - Benelli M1/M2, Remington Versa-Max, FN SLP

C - Stoeger M3000, Mossberg 930 SPX, Remington 1100

D - Mossberg 930 non-SPX (I know this is a controversial take)

F - All those < $300 budget shotguns from Turkey

Category: Tactical Pump-action for defense (thanks to mopar92)

S -

A - Mossberg 500-series, Benelli Supernova

B - Remington 870, Kel Tec KSG, Winchester SXP,

C - Ithaca, S&W, High Standard, RIA (copy of High Standard)

D - Turkish guns with old English trademarks

F - Pancor Jackhammer

Category: 3-Gun/Sporting Semi-autos (thanks to erwos)

S - ?

A - Benelli M2 3gun, Beretta 1301 Comp (Pro)

B - Franchi Affinity 3, FN SLP Competition, Remington Versa Max 3gun

C - Stoeger M3K Freedom, Mossberg 940 JM Pro

D - Mossberg 930 JM Pro (and this is generous)

F - Pretty much anything else

Category: Side-by-sides (thanks to Viewers like you!)

S - ?

A - ?

B - ?

C - ?

D - ?

F - ?

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've never seen anything that was objectively ranked by people who really knew the topic. Plenty of us are happy to offer opinions though...

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Browning A5 top tier! Huge rabbit hole you're looking into there.

Are you interested in something?

Nothing specific... right now. I have a lot of respect for the versatility of shotguns, and even more respect for my own guns, and not only wanted an at-a-glance guide to some of the reputable brands and models for my own use, but also to provide for anyone else interested.

I'd like to crowdsource it here, and put the guide together and update it as needed.

How about best brands (overall quality) first, following this guide:

A - Top tier, high quality, heirloom

B - Great quality, better than average, probably more affordable than A-tier

C - Average quality, the benchmark, great starting guns

D - Budget quality, passable

F - Avoid at all costs

And if a brand has lots of offerings and would fall in many tiers, how about ranking them to their average, or most common tier.

Off the top of my head, these are some shotgun brands I can name: Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, Stoeger, Stevens, Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Franchi, Ithaca, Henry, aaaaand thats all I got. Anyone want to take a swing at ranking them? I'll update the top post with the results

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There are so many shotgun manufacturers out there. Prices can get into the stratosphere. It's a huge undertaking.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    There are so many shotgun manufacturers out there. Prices can get into the stratosphere. It's a huge undertaking.

Yeah the range is so wide. The super high end fancy Beretta ones are $10k+, and I have seen some super custom ones a few times more than that. Hopefully I can focus on the most reputable ones for later lists. Starting with the brand/manufacturer list is a good place to start.

The AR lists I have seen are also pretty big, but it still comes down to the same dozen or so "usual suspects" of what is and is not reputable.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I'm kind of partial to Perazzi. Several of my range friends really like theirs. You probably won't see too many used as a spare trunk gun, or in the value bin at the local gun shop.... Having shot a few - uhh... they are really nice.

Attachments

• p3.jpg
      p3.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 1,098
    • p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      127.1 KB · Views: 1,105
    • p5.jpg
      p5.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 1,087

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah the range is so wide. The super high end fancy Beretta ones are $10k+, and I have seen some super custom ones a few times more than that. Hopefully I can focus on the most reputable ones for later lists. Starting with the brand/manufacturer list is a good place to start.

The AR lists I have seen are also pretty big, but it still comes down to the same dozen or so "usual suspects" of what is and is not reputable.

For shotguns, $10,000 is mid-range.

I love Holland and Holland's offerings. Purdey & Sons are gorgeous.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Krieghoff K-80 is top tier idolized by a few skeet shooters I know, in the O/U category

Browning A5 top tier! Huge rabbit hole you're looking into there.

****I'm kind of partial to Perazzi. Several of my range friends really like theirs. You probably won't see too many used as a spare trunk gun, or in the value bin at the local gun shop.... Having shot a few - uhh... they are really nice.

I love Holland and Holland's offerings. Purdey & Sons are gorgeous.

How would you all rank those using the letter system? I can start putting this list together.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Krieghoff K-80 is top tier idolized by a few skeet shooters I know, in the O/U category

Add to the top tier, Blaser F6, Beretta DT11, Caeser Guerini Invictus, Perrazzi there are other customs but those are the big players

Most of them offer a cheaper alternative that fits into the great quality tier.
    Blaser F16, Caesar Guerini Summit, Beretta 690 series, Zoli are all in the great category. These start at about $4,000

Beretta Silver Pigeon and Browning Citori are in the good quality, great starting guns. So much so that most people don't go past this. At about $2,000 these guns are great value.

Budget and quality is becoming an ever bigger class. Rizonni, FAIR, CZ all make respectable guns.

As far as crap goes, you will have a hard time finding anything worthwhile for under about $800.

This is not an exhaustive list and only includes Sporting O/US because that's what I've been researching lately.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You know what? Tactical semi-autos:
    A. Beretta 1301, Benelli M4
    B. Benelli M1/M2, Remington Versa-Max, FN SLP
    C. Stoeger M3000, Mossberg 930 SPX, Remington 1100
    D. Mossberg 930 non-SPX (I know this is a controversial take)
    E. All those < $300 budget shotguns from Turkey

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Top tier is Boss Purdey Holland and from there Cosmi Greener Beesley Rigby
    Kreighoff Berretta Perratzi come after

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I was about to tell you what Teratos told you. $10,000 for a shotgun is mid range, maybe slightly in the B category. When you start looking at high end Berettas with all the engraving, etc., you are talking about $30,000+. I keep debating which Beretta I want next. Thought I was going to get the DT11 EELL for my 50th, or the SL3, but neither of them are exactly what I want. IF the DT11 EELL had game scene options, that is the one I would opt for.

Here are some pics from a Beretta gun that I adored and could not afford. Still cannot afford it.

Attachments

• _SO6eell_dett2.jpg
      _SO6eell_dett2.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 275
    • _SO6eell_dett3.jpg
      _SO6eell_dett3.jpg
      10.5 KB · Views: 274
    • SO6EELL_maxi_a.jpg
      SO6EELL_maxi_a.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 278

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Got to shoot some clays with a friends Holland & Holland, #1 of a 2 gun set, did not break any more clays but I sure looked good not breaking them, definitely a top tier shotgun.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
      IMG_0319.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 271
    • IMG_0312.jpg
      IMG_0312.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 270

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You're really going to have to break it out by action. Break actions range anywhere from $300 to six figures. Semi-autos don't hit six figures, but I have not seen one that costs over $3000. Pump shotguns don't really hit past $1500. And that's for new ones. Then it breaks down by model, because some brands put their names on guns made by somebody else (Weatherby, CZ). I don't shoot enough clays to warrant anything more than $1200, but I did drop $2400 on a Benelli M2 3-gun edition. Funny thing is it cost me more than the Benelli M4. But it shoots clays and steel targets, so it's a little more versatile versus the two OUs I have. Just putting down my thoughts here, because there are individuals who only shoot trap/skeet/sporting clays and don't really shoot tactical/3-gun shotguns.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Pump guns for defensive use
    A: Mossberg
    B:Remington, Kel Tec, Winchester, Benelli
    C: Ithaca, S&W, High Standard, RIA (copy of High Standard
    D: Turkish guns with old English trademarks
    Z: Pancor Jackhammer

Mossberg is on top because for defensive use they're the only brand i would trust to walk into a gunstore plunk down cash and then use within 5 minutes.

Old Remmys are good but from 07 to recent QC/QA was on vacation and the new ones have no track record yet.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Mossberg is on top because for defensive use they're the only brand i would trust to walk into a gunstore plunk down cash and then use within 5 minutes.

Old Remmys are good but from 07 to recent QC/QA was on vacation and the new ones have no track record yet.

I will never own a Mossberg... I did but I chopped it down and then sold it. My 80/90s Remingtons are my favorite.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Personal opinion, but the Benelli Supernova beats the stuffing out of everything Mossberg makes, excepting maybe the genuine milspec 590A1s. Only real beef with the SuperNova is no Aridus and Magpul accessories. But out of the box... hard to beat.

I do have a kitted-out old 870, but while it's a decent enough serious use gun, I simply don't use it very much. Might buy a quick open long gun safe for the bedroom and permanently home it in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom