• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    SCOTUS, if petitioned for certiorari

No it goes back to the District Court. The issue decided by the Circuit Court was about a preliminary injunction. The next step is to resolve the case on its merits if they choose to.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Keep in my folks, this case will be decided over Chevron Defference. NOT on the 2A of Bump Stocks.

Even if we win based on Chevron Defference, if a state bans bump stocks, or congress comes back and bans bump stocks, a whole new fight will begin again on other factors. Chevron Defference will have little to no effect on a state banning bump stocks.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Chevron Deference will have little to no effect on a state banning bump stocks.

Even if it doesn't have a direct effect, reigning in Chevron and Auer Deference will have a wide-ranging effect on a variety of legal issues, and hopefully reign in the Regulatory State from unilaterally extended executive authority. If SCOTUS eventually takes up the deference issue and puts significant limits on it, the effects will be very consequential across almost every aspect of regulatory law, possibly the most consequential decision in the decade. If SCOTUS eventually takes it on, anyway.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hopefully the OSHA vax mandate will help this case.

Practically the same principle. A government agency makes a new regulation, treating it as if was a law passed by congress.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    P.Z. v. New Jersey was denied without comment today (21-175) so clearly something is up with this case.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Hopefully the OSHA vax mandate will help this case.

Practically the same principle. A government agency makes a new regulation, treating it as if was a law passed by congress.

And at direction of the President when he might not have been able to get his agenda through Congress.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Even if it doesn't have a direct effect, reigning in Chevron and Auer Deference will have a wide-ranging effect on a variety of legal issues, and hopefully reign in the Regulatory State from unilaterally extended executive authority. If SCOTUS eventually takes up the deference issue and puts significant limits on it, the effects will be very consequential across almost every aspect of regulatory law, possibly the most consequential decision in the decade. If SCOTUS eventually takes it on, anyway.

Well there are several cases pending with SCOTUS that have allready been argued that touch to some degree on the questions of Chevron Defference. How those cases are decided may also have an impact on these Bumb Stock cases, as well as Ghost Guns, and few others.

You are correct, it will have an effect on all governmental agencies overreach on criminal regulation for sure.

I am just point out though, that if a state or our federal congress were to pass actual laws banning bump stocks, litigation would have to be restarted.

At least on a state level, I see if the ATF looses due to Chevron Defference, we will have a few stats attempt to ban using state law.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    IIRC "rescheduled" means a Justice pulled the case from consideration before that week's conference, usually because they're not ready to discuss or they're still working on getting the votes for cert.

Cases marked rescheduled multiple times aren't an indicator for dissent from denial of cert like normal multiple distributed for conference notices are.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I am guessing Gorsuch is working hard to get this granted. It is rescheduled again. The next conference is not until 18 Feb so it is unlikely to be distributed for another conference until Valentines day.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Another reschedule.

For shits and giggles, I searched, I only found one other case this term that has been "rescheduled."

My first guess would be a Per Curiam Opinion, held for the opinion in another case, or a dissent from the denial of cert. None of those are usually marked "rescheduled." Usually. It is clearly being held for something.

In past terms, I found a few cases marked rescheduled that eventually got granted. Also at least one denial.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The DC Circuit arguments on bump stocks are now 17 February.
    The SC would either deny this case or hold it pending NYSRPA rather than wait for a ruling from the DC Circuit, unless a Justice wanted a sneak preview of the current administration's latest position under fire by rescheduling this case yet once more and reading that argument transcript.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom