• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Am I missing something here?

These things have been around for 40 years, probably longer. I've got 2-3 around here from silver-soldering high-pressure refrigeration lines in the '80s and it would be hard to find a real plumber's truck without one...

Millineals...some people dont even know what a timing gun is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-212408_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      Screenshot_20220118-212408_DuckDuckGo.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 143

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Am I missing something here?

These things have been around for 40 years, probably longer. I've got 2-3 around here from silver-soldering high-pressure refrigeration lines in the '80s and it would be hard to find a real plumber's truck without one...

I think the only thing you're missing is that people don't think of this as a tool for survival situations.

I've seen these since I was a kid (also > 40 years ago), and I've got at least one in a toolbox downstairs, but if someone started talking about finding something to start a fire in a survival or camping/hiking situation, this never would have entered my mind.

I would have thought of the knives that come with a piece of flint, or specially made tools, or waterproof matches, etc, that are marketed for that purpose.

Yet here we have something most us have seen many times, that works better than the stuff sold in camping & outdoor stores for 2x or 3x the cost.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=mobotap&iax=images&ia=images&q=fire+starting+tool

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    "Another"
    That is funny cause we learned in CUB SCOUTS in the 70's to use one from our den leader (plumber). Keep dryer vent lint in a zip lock and one of those propane torch starters.
    He also showed us how to cut up a dry cotton t-shirt or cotton flannel in small strips to start the fire.
    That spun us to ask about what clothes was flammable so he had us bring in an old article of clothes and we tested them on sticks at a later bonfire.
    Pretty much all we had burnt up pretty good.

I don't know where he got it, but he had also a smaller version that was about half as long.

OMG... flashback. We would make flaming arrows by ripping up an old piece of rayon clothing and tying it around the shaft. The thing would be "dripping fire" as we tried to pull back the bow and not burst into flames ourselves. I had a good childhood :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When i watched it I thought if he stuck that under a pile of Fritos instead of the sticks he used he would have had a fire much quicker.

For those new to prepping:
    Yes Fritos will burn, try it yourself.
    The dollar store brand of corn chips also works.

Alcohol moistened eyeglass or hand wipes will work as tinder just takes a spark to ignite them. Now I need to find my spark lighter and try lighting an eyeglasses wipe. Good thing I don't know how to make videos or I might be rich.

The funny thing is, those things would not light my refillable propane flooring torches. I could never seem to get the gas flow feathered right.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Millenials...some don't know whether to shake it or wipe it. :shrug:

:lol: good one. and unfortunately true.

Honestly didn't cross my mind to use a torch sparker as a firestarting tool, that's a legit good idea; kinda bulky for camping/emergency kit. But for part of a dedicated camping/orienteering kit, its better than most of those commercial products sold in the last few years for the purpose.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I like ferro rod better. It is small enough to put in the pocket of a backpack and waterproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom