• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I was going to wait until I had the rifle in hand next week but was excited to share this historical piece with everyone. I've been eyeing this rifle for 6 months now and finally decided to get it. I think it belongs in a USMC museum but for now will reside in my collection! I also purchased a few vintage pictures of the General and will post them along with better pictures then what the dealer provided.

Presentation rifle issued to USMC Brigadier General Fredrick J. Karch for his part in the landing of the Marines at Beach Red, Danang, South Vietnam an March 8, 1965. An event highly publicized in the American press at the time including an article in the March 19th, 1965 issue of Life Magazine. This historically significant United States Marine Corps Vietnam War artifact was sold by his daughter to a shop in the general’s hometown along with other of his items. A letter from General Karch’s daughter was provided with the grouping attesting to the rifles authenticity. The General had a hell of a military career. The following was his obituary in 2009: Born August 9, 1917 in Carmi, Illinois as Frederick Joseph, Fred was the first of three sons and one daughter of Henry J. and Flora C. Karch. His early childhood was spent on the family farm in Southern Illinois, until Henry became Principal of Carmi Township High School, where Fred graduated with an ingrained regard for the critical importance of formal education. After a year at the University of Illinois in preparation, he received an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, from which he graduated in June 1940 and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps, and attended Basic School at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Trained as a Basic Artillery Officer 0802, Fred served successively with the 10th Marines, 2nd Marine Division and the 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, as World War II broke out. Then Captain Karch joined the 14th Marines, 4th Marine Division, serving a Battery Commander, and Operations Officer through the Pacific Campaigns of Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima. Returning in 1945 as a Lieutenant Colonel, Fred was awarded the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star, both with combat "V" for meritorious service. After various duties and attendance of artillery and amphibious warfare schools, he attended and served as a staff member of the Canadian Army Staff College in Kingston, Ontario. Transferred to Camp Lejeune, in 1951 he again served with the 10th Marines as Battalion Commander, Regimental Executive Officer and 2nd Marine Division G-1 and Secretary of the Joint Landing Force Board. Transferred to the United Nations/Far East Command in Tokyo, Japan as Chief of the Intelligence Plans Section, he was promoted to Colonel in 1957. On completion of the Senior School at Quantico, Virginia, Colonel Karch returned to Camp Lejeune to command the 10th Marines, and serve as Assistant Chief of Staff (G-3) of the 2nd Marine Division. After completion of the Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania he served at Headquarters Marine Corps in Arlington, Virginia, where he also attained his Masters Degree from George Washington University. He was promoted to Brigadier General on July 1, 1964. Transferred to Okinawa in 1964 he served as Assistant Division Commander of the 3rd Marine Division, and as Commanding General of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade directed the landing of American forces at Beach Red, Danang, South Vietnam an March 8, 1965. He was awarded a second Legion of Merit with combat "V" for his meritorious service. In the few days preceding the landing, Karch commented that the weather was the worst that he had experienced. When inhabitants of the friendly beach greeted the arriving Marines and photographs were taken, Karch was never seen to smile. When this was queried, he replied "... if I had to do it over, that picture would have been the same. When you have a son in Vietnam and he gets killed, you don't want a smiling general with flowers around his neck as leader at that point." He returned to Quantico as Director of the Command and Staff College, from which he retired on June 30, 1967 after devoting 31 years to the military.(Washington Times).

His medals include: Legion of Merit w/ 2 award stars & valor device, Bronze Star w/ valor device, Army Commendation Medal, Navy Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Commendation, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ 4 service stars, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal w/ 1 service star, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross unit citation, and Vietnam Campaign Medal.

Attachments

• Fred3.jpg
      Fred3.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 472
    • Fred1.jpg
      Fred1.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 461
    • Fred2.jpg
      Fred2.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 463
    • canvas.jpg
      canvas.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 466
    • p012.jpg
      p012.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 465
    • 48767462_1395421265.jpg
      48767462_1395421265.jpg
      196.2 KB · Views: 465

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on the find! USMC connected firearms are in great demand and this one is museum grade. In the back of my cobweb filled mind I've seen either this particular rifle or one similar with a presentation plaque from Vietnam. Not something you see every day!

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks Guys!

Ukrainian Might its a Chinese 1960 dated B block Type 53. The rifle is coming tomorrow so I'll post a bunch of pics.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Got the carbine yesterday and I'm very pleased!

Attachments

• K1.jpg
      K1.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 136
    • K3.jpg
      K3.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 124
    • K6a.jpg
      K6a.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 124
    • K8.jpg
      K8.jpg