Over-sized Bolt Action Handles - Do You Like Them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm not sure if I have an objection to them unless its because additional weight at the rear of the bolt sleeve. But no I really don't go out for my way for them.
    For anything built personal for myself I have used, butter-knife, Lenard Brownell, cut off plumb shaped ones from jap rifles, some three panel Montana models then re-welded home made junk made form drill rifle bolt handles or anything else I could find that could be ground and polished out nicely.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Just curious if any of you use over-sized bolt handles on your bolt-action rifles.
    A few of my rifles have them, most don't.

If it comes on the gun, fine, but I'd never send a rifle out for one. I actually prefer the OEM Remington bolt handle and have never had any issues with them. Not sure what problem the big knobs are solving and the oversize handles on some of my rifles rap my index finger finger during recoil.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes? No? Not sure?

I guess I don't have enough experience. I've maybe shot a dozen non-surplus bolt guns in my days, a couple had them, most didn't. I can't off the top of my head think of any bolt handles I particularly disliked or particularly liked the most out of them. Now actions, yes some stood out as great and some not. All I can say is the two bolt guns I currently own, a Howa 1500 and Sako Forester, I really like the bolt handles and actions on both. Not oversized. My Forester the bolt handle does get kind of close to the scope, which if I am working it the wrong way my hand will smack the scope cover. Never had that issue in the field and rarely do on the range. More when I am being lazy and working the bolt in some particularly careless way I'll rake my pinky along it. Which usually isn't a big deal as I typically wear light gloves when shooting, but I've managed to skin my pinky knuckle once doing it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Depends on application, even then shape/angle/placement is more important than outright size. Some small standard knobs are easy to work, and stay out of the way, some big tacticool knobs slap my knuckle, and are too cumbersome to work fast. Funny thing is the huge ones tend to be on rifles shot slow fire off of benches, where you don't need a big handle to work quick from various support positions while wearing gloves.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think it was a military thing - the large bolt handled made it easier to acquire for fast repeat shots, especially when wearing gloves. IMO unless you really want to be tacti-cool or are actually using it in a forward military setting, it's kind of superfluous. Then again, I've never actually used one - seen them, messed with them on other guns I've handled, but never actually fired one and worked the bolt. The normal bolt handles on the guns I own all seem to be adequate.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have a larger bolt handle for my Ruger American Predator from Anarchy Outdoors that my brother bought me for Christmas. I love the thing. It's so much nicer and easier to manipulate than the factory one from Ruger. I will say I have bigger hands so that may be the reason I like it so much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put a Kampfeld Kampfire knob on my rifle that started as a Rem 700 PS-1 (PSS with PC name and detachable box mag).

I like it is round and smooth, so if there is any rotation between the knob and my fingers, it just slides. The Campfire is a smaller knob. I thing mine is perfectly smooth.

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_007.htm

Short Action Customs did the work. They mill off the factory knob, then drill and tap the shaft for piece of threaded rod for reinforcing. It seems the Rem bolt handle is investment cast and there have been a few that broke off. Not common, but if you are going to take the knob of, not a bit deal to reinforce the shaft.

https://www.shortactioncustoms.com/factory-bolt-knob

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Don't really care for larger diameter bolt knobs but, a little extra length is good. Not much, I only added 2 bb's inside the knob of my Tubb gun to get what I prefer. On my model 70 match rifles, a 3/8 cap bolt added to the bolt knob gets it done.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This guy likes his bolt knob size and is all into it with his kit.
    He does a good job I think with reasonable hits and expectations.
    Carefully fitting the extractor at the bottom for slightly more clearance helps out too on a LE, just breaking any sharp edges off itself makes loading a little more smooth.
    Anyone ever try this with a LE ? I'm too clumsy to do it very well and low on shooter ammo to try anymore.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I feel that they are good for shooting while wearing gloves but otherwise unnecessary. They MAY provide a slight advantage in speed for follow up shots, but that is debatable.

Basically I see them as a tactical/tactical thing that has little practical advantage for civilians or people who don't hunt in freezing weather

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My TacOps rifles came with oversized smooth knobs. I like them. These things don’t go tramping through the woods for hunting.

I would not go out of my way to add a larger knob to a rifle. I do like oversized trigger guards though as they give more room for a gloved finger.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    You don’t rack em like a regular bolt handle, and in that way it is nicer. You won’t like it if you grab the knob and try to operate it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Location of the knob and angle of the handle matters more but some of my rigs have them. I find them less necessary on sako's, browning's, and other 60deg three lug actions. With gloves, I typically cut away the first two fingers and thumb if I will be shooting anyway.

On the subject of long bolt handles (and, often, big knobs) for bench guns, one of the smiths I know who was a long time benchrest shooter explained to me that it is for smoother cocking operation (opening the bolt) so as not to disturb the stock in the bags.

To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom