• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Finally decided to get a Aero precision M4E1 pistol complete lower receiver w/ MOE grip & SBA4 brace. In FDE/FDE. Now I need to figure out what upper to get. I think 10.5 or 11.5 would be the best size, should I look for a Aero upper or mix another brand in? Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
    Mike

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    Wouldn't recommend 10.5 barrel, I can't find the article now but there was a whole discussion about the 10.5/10.3 barrel being too short to be potent unless you are shooting mk262, which for civilians are quite expensive. The trade off of bullet velocity and the extra little shortness isn't quite worth it. Ofc, if you just want to look cool, then by all means go for it! We all know looking cool is the most important part of this hobby

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    also depends on what caliber you intend to shoot. That will help you decide pistol barrel length.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    I was thinking about the 11.5 but if I find the money to get a silencer in the future the 10.5 might be better.
    Going to be a 556 barrel so I can use 223 or 556 which ever ammo I can find.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wouldn't recommend 10.5 barrel, I can't find the article now but there was a whole discussion about the 10.5/10.3 barrel being too short to be potent unless you are shooting mk262, which for civilians are quite expensive. The trade off of bullet velocity and the extra little shortness isn't quite worth it. Ofc, if you just want to look cool, then by all means go for it! We all know looking cool is the most important part of this hobby

For 5.56, agreed. Go with 11.5 or even 12.5.

300 black is a different story.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Nothing wrong with a 10.3 inch barrel. Special forces have been laying down bad guys for a long time with it.

It also still gives ballistics that are above the reliable effectiveness for the m193 cartridge at close range. So no, you aren’t limited to the mk262 for it to perform.

That said, if you aren’t set on a specific length, 11.5 is a good way to go and offers a decent velocity advantage over a 10.3/10.5 without much added length.

Any quality mil spec upper will fit just fine to your lower. There is zero advantage with going with an Aero upper vs another quality upper.

My home defense set up is a 10.3 run with a Saker556 suppressor, it is roughly the same length as my 14.5 with flash hider in this configuration.

No reason an 11.5 couldn’t also be a compact package with a suppressor. If I had an 11.5 with the Saker556k (the shorter version), it would be roughly the same size.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I bought an M4E1 threaded upper and found that, to me, it looked a bit "off'" on a regular lower but looks great on an M4E1 lower. The M4E1 upper is more stylized than a standard upper. The continuation of the raised area (vertical stripe) on the upper on the left side of the mag well of the lower is also slightly narrower on an M4E1 upper than on a more standard (e.g Anchor Harvey) upper but matches an M4E1 lower.

I'm currently looking for another M4E1 threaded upper. Aero uppers and lowers are scarce right now.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any other brands that are quality? I see palmetto has some of their brand but read they can be hit or miss on quality.
    Thanks

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Stag Arms is now owned by the same company that owns Aero, and after having just received a few barrels, handguards, and other bits from Stag, it’s pretty obvious they are now made by Aero.

Their handguards use the exact same barrel nut lockup method as aero and BA handguards.

So I’d put them as another solid, high value option as well.

The PSA uppers that have the Geissele rails and Cold hammer forged barrels also now have the Geissele pinned gas blocks. They’re rock solid but not as much of a value as they used to be. Most of them I’ve seen do not include a bolt carrier group or charging handle.

For the price of those PSA uppers your well into BCM or SOLGW territory.

Daniel Defense uppers are also top notch but they can be pricey.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Nothing wrong with a 10.3 inch barrel. Special forces have been laying down bad guys for a long time with it.

It also still gives ballistics that are above the reliable effectiveness for the m193 cartridge at close range. So no, you aren’t limited to the mk262 for it to perform.

I shoot at a 100 yrd outdoor range, so I have some idea what targets look like at that distance. Then I went walking around my neighborhood with a digital rangefinder. Hey, I got news for you.... 100 yds in your neighborhood is faaarrrr away. If you shoot something in your neighborhood that is 100 yds away, you are totally going to prison for murder. No way that is self defense or anything close to that. Now if the govt has collapsed and there are no laws anymore or there are actual zombies, then different rules.

I can believe a riot could go down, but nothing that would require that kind of distance. Most likely, you are shooting at someone something indoors, or very proximate like your yard or driveway or garage etc.

Personally, I'd rather have the lighter more maneuverable gun at the 10.5, and suppressed, red dot. So that's my recommendation. But hey, if you are more into LARPing or collecting, then get whatever floats the boat.

My standard for "should I buy this" is: Does the Left want to keep me from having this thing? (whatever it is). If yes, they buy it.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    CMOS “My standard for "should I buy this" is: Does the Left want to keep me from having this thing? (whatever it is). If yes, they buy it.”

And since they gave me the stimulus money it is even better.

I see that ARjunkies has some in stock but no reviews I will see if I can find any info tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the input everyone

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Matching FDE M4E1 upper and an Aero handguard are the obvious choices, if nothing else the aesthetic and color will match. Pretty much every company makes FDE stuff, and pretty much every company has a slightly different color, even black can have a different shade/texture, so I won't mix receivers/handguards unless I KNOW they match. As far as barrel length, 10.5 is awesome, provided it's carbine gas, still plenty of power, accurate to a few hundred yards, very effective with modern heavy bullets, still cheap to shoot(in pre-covid times). I have a 10.5" M4E1 SBR built with a 9" S1 handguard, and it's great all-around, reliable with or without a suppressor, soft shooting, and with a flash hider and non mil-surp ammo the blast/flash is not that bad. It's pleasant to shoot suppressed, the handguard has plenty of room and is really comfortable, and still about the same length as a 14.5-16" carbine without a can.

Attachments

• 20201101_164721.jpg
      20201101_164721.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 137

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Narrowing it down to a PSA complete w/bcg for $375, a Anderson w/bcg $435, or a Aero m4e1 adding bcg and handle for $660. Of course I like the lower price ones but everything I read the Aero will match better and should work right out of the box. Unfortunately all are black so it will be a mismatch color wise but will still look good I think.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Narrowing it down to a PSA complete w/bcg for $375, a Anderson w/bcg $435, or a Aero m4e1 adding bcg and handle for $660. Of course I like the lower price ones but everything I read the Aero will match better and should work right out of the box. Unfortunately all are black so it will be a mismatch color wise but will still look good I think.

PSA and Anderson are similar quality, or lack thereof, can have issues with out of spec stuff, but usually at least serviceable, and sometimes they can run well enough. Aero is just the better way to go, although easy enough to build with any combo of stuff on a matching receiver/handguard if you have a torque wrench and vise/vise block. FDE M4E1 has been tough to find, but Aero has been dropping receivers and handguards a couple times a week on their site. I have had great luck with their blems when trying too save money, and being they show up under "blem" and not under most other searches or parts bots, they stick around a little longer before getting sold out. They won't sell mechanical/out of spec blems, these only have minor blemishes in the anodizing, often on interior or not readily visible surfaces. Could probably get a Blem upper and handguard for $250ish + barrel/BCG/gas block, muzzle device and charging handle with decent stuff built for around $600, provided you are patient and quick to snag when it's available.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I have very low opinion of PSA. I bought a Sig P226 Legion 9mm + Romeo1pro from them in the last year. Was supposed to come with 3 mags. But the sig plastic case it came in was missing the little blue zip lock strip, and two of the mags had been pilfered at PSA. I emailed their customer service and the bastiges referred me to Sig . Just dirtbags.

their email back to me: "We do apologize for any inconvenience, Per our Terms and Conditions:
    All sales of firearms, loaded ammunition and clothing are FINAL, and returns, refunds or exchanges are NOT ACCEPTED. Orders shipped to a FFL are FINAL UPON SHIPMENT. Once a firearm is shipped to the FFL, Palmetto State Armory will not accept a return or exchange under any circumstances. If a defect is discovered by the customer after shipment, the customer must contact the firearm manufacturer directly for replacement or repair."

I was very clear that I asking for the mags, not a return or exchange etc.

The only thing good about the experience was that the gun was not showing up on their product search page, you could only find it by googling the actual sig part number to get to the PSA product page to add to cart. So it was overlooked by PSA somehow and they hadn't inflated the price, it was just the normal price for the gun, marked up $170 over ordinary dealer wholesale pricing.

I wonder if that happened to other people when things started going crazy. Is PSA pulling out the extra second/third mags, selling them a-la-carte to other buyers, and then shrugging their shoulders when gun buyers complained? Would be a good way to make an extra $90 or so on each gun sale.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    CMOS that sounds very shady.

Alucard0822 thanks for the info.

I am checking to see if they still have the black Aero m4e1 available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom