• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    And again, what that number doesn't show are the guns bought in secondary non-regulated sales, nor does it cover the number of guns being put together as builds.

I think Biden can talk a big talk, but there isn't going to be a lot of support for gun control legislation - not if they don't want to be voted out in mid-terms.

A lot of folks are getting into reloading in an effort to bypass ammo costs and shortages only to find that there are component shortages that go along with everything else.

You forgot the 26 or so Brady exempt states aren't in those numbers for folks with permits.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I just ran some numbers that some may find interesting.

From "Firearms Commerce In The United States Annual Statistical Update 2020" the annual ATF report The latest reported manufacturing numbers are from 2018. https://www.atf.gov/file/149886/download

Firearms Manufactured 2018
    Firearms Imports 2018
    Subtotal
    Less Firearms Exports
    Total Additional Firearms In 2018

Total NICS Checks for 2018 https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

2018 NICS Checks divided by Total Additional Firearms
    2.045 NICS Checks per new firearm.

This gives a rough gauge of the number of new firearms in circulation based on NICS Checks. No it does not cover all firearms.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just ran some numbers that some may find interesting.

From "Firearms Commerce In The United States Annual Statistical Update 2020" the annual ATF report The latest reported manufacturing numbers are from 2018. https://www.atf.gov/file/149886/download

Firearms Manufactured 2018
    Firearms Imports 2018
    Subtotal
    Less Firearms Exports
    Total Additional Firearms In 2018

Total NICS Checks for 2018 https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

2018 NICS Checks divided by Total Additional Firearms
    2.045 NICS Checks per new firearm.

This gives a rough gauge of the number of new firearms in circulation based on NICS Checks. No it does not cover all firearms.

So there are twice as many NICS checks as actual new firearms produced or imported. It suggest a few possibilities. More firearms were sold from inventory, some level if NICS checks were for regulated transfers or out if state sales of non-regulated used firearms. Some quantity of NICS checks result in a rejection of the individual, which doesn’t turn into an actual sale.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So there are twice as many NICS checks as actual new firearms produced or imported. It suggest a few possibilities. More firearms were sold from inventory, some level if NICS checks were for regulated transfers or out if state sales of non-regulated used firearms. Some quantity of NICS checks result in a rejection of the individual, which doesn’t turn into an actual sale.

Don’t forget that used firearms go through NICS, too.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I was slacking last year, I only bought two on the same NICS and one F to F.
    I haven't bought any this year, but I will try to correct that error of my ways.

Kmic14

Slimy Member
    Apr 17, 2020
    Baltimore City
    I'm doing my part, I've bought two this year, and expect to get at least two more before the year is out providing I can find what I'm looking for.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have seen the same trend at Masada Tactical. There is a HUGE uptick in AA females buying guns by themselves.

Good. The fact that gun rights aren't perceived as an 'old white guy' exclusive hobby can only help our freedoms. All law abiding citizens have these rights.

You forgot the 26 or so Brady exempt states aren't in those numbers for folks with permits.

Like good 'ol 'Mizzippi.'

I'm glad that manufacturers increased production capacity after the past few AR-15 scares - I don't think PSA was ever out of stock on lowers, and the max price only went up to about $100 for a stripped lower.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Updated chart.
    2021-05-04_08-35-26.png

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I sold a rifle FTF earlier this year (hope it is serving the buyer’s needs), and would have a couple more to sell / swap at the next meetup except for.. you know.. the thing.. uh, the thing down there, in uh, Annapolis.

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

C&R purchases are under the state radar. If one were to let one's license lapse, it's perfectly legal to shred one's bound book. Re-applying for a new license starts the clock on a blank slate, as far as the Feds are concerned.

All right-thinking C&R holders ought to take note of that. Anyway, everyone knows that 50 year old guns are too old to be useful. Just check the expiration date.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    C&R purchases are under the state radar. If one were to let one's license lapse, it's perfectly legal to shred one's bound book. Re-applying for a new license starts the clock on a blank slate, as far as the Feds are concerned.

All right-thinking C&R holders ought to take note of that.

Yep. Don't reapply until after expiration.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m trying to add to the numbers but the two I want seem near impossible to find;

Lipseys Glock P80
    Ruger Hunter

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    That new law against FTF transfers will surely be a model piece of legislation for all to follow when they see how the murder rate drops in Baltimore City!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom