• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I'm sure you know,but just in case,under Comments+Suggestions,there is a sticky for manuals.I was just looking at one for 1100/1187.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It says AQ 38 and when I entered it into www.oldguns.net it came up invalid. It also does not have the steel rail on top of the barrel like most other originals that Ive seen. I could very well be wrong about it.

Not all 1100s had a vent rib, especially the older ones, so it's tough to go by that feature alone.

Your barrel code will be made up of two or three of **these letters**:

B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X

If not (like "AQ"), then you're looking at the wrong set of stamps.

An excellent book on the Remington guns is Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual.

THE ITALICIZED/BOLD TEXT ABOVE IN NOT COMPLETELY CORRECT - SEE MY CORRECTION ON THE NEXT PAGE FOR THE RIGHT INFO AND MORE DETAIL - SORRY ABOUT THE "CRS THING", Ed :o :sad20:

Last edited:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I put a barrel seal on it and its seems to fire very slow. Is there only one seal? The guy I bought it from is telling me theres 2.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not two o-rings in an 1100; one piston assembly (#74), one seal assembly (#73 & 12). Check to see they're all present, assembled in proper order and lubed:
    http://www.remington.com/support/parts/model_1100.asp

Linked from this page:
    http://www.remington.com/support/parts/parts_schematics.asp
    The manual hung up on me and wouldn't load, but you may be able to get it to load yourself:
    http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf

Both components need to be in good shape, i.e. a snug (not tight) fit to seal the mag tube to the barrel collar, and lightly oiled. Sometimes the piston is too worn to seal properly, and just a new o-ring won't do it. You can get the whole kit and be done with it: http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=19258

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not all 1100s had a vent rib, especially the older ones, so it's tough to go by that feature alone.

Your barrel code will be made up of two or three of **these letters**:

B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X

If not (like "AQ"), then you're looking at the wrong set of stamps.

An excellent book on the Remington guns is Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual.

This is not correct, and I guess it proves I shouldn't go by memory on (at least) some of this stuff. Sorry for the original misinformation. :o

I dug out Kuhnhausen's manual last night to see if there was anything else to check for your malfs before spending money on more parts, and I see I need to edit/correct my previous post above.

The "Blackpowder-X" thing above is only the "month" portion of the code, and there are other letters for the year.

Months:
    B= Jan
    L= Feb
    A= Mar
    C= Apr
    K= May
    P= Jun
    O= Jul
    W= Aug
    D= Sep
    E= Oct
    R= Nov
    X= Dec

Years begin at 1920, and run consecutively as follows:
    L = 1920
    M
    N
    P
    R
    S
    T
    U
    V
    W
    X
    Y = 1930
    Z
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    H
    J = 1940
    K
    L
    MM
    NN
    PP
    RR
    SS
    TT
    UU
    WW = 1950
    XX
    YY
    ZZ
    A (Jan = AA)
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G = 1960
    H
    J
    K
    L
    M
    N
    P
    R
    S
    T = 1970
    U
    V
    W
    X
    Y
    Z
    I
    O
    Q
    V
    A = 1980
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    H
    I
    J
    K = 1990
    L
    M = 1992

This is where my volume of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual leaves off.

The Remington Society (http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes) provides additional date codes through 2012 (when both Remington and the Mayans expect the world to end, I guess, LOL) and those are available at their site.

Note that Remington suspended marking the barrels August '99 thru Oct '01, and also note that using easily interchanged barrels to date the shotgun may be unreliable. I still didn't see the "AQ" mark at either reference, and calling Remington with the serial number should provide you with the correct date of manufacture.

If you can give me the barrel specifics, I can check the shop manual for the correct size drill to clean the gas ports in the barrel. The gas port size varies with the gauge, barrel length and chamber length.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    My little bro bought a gas system kit for his 1100 magnum... I replaced the piston and piston seal and the o-ring...However the piston and seal were totally different and actually wound up crooked on each other upon reassembly... So I wound up reusing the old piston and seal(still in OK condition) and just replacing the O-ring

Edit: Upon reading the above article..I see that the new piston and seal actually snap onto one another...I see why I had some issues hahah

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom