• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Well...not for another month, but this popped up on another forum's classifieds and I jumped on it. I've been wanting a Bear Takedown since I was 13 years old. It was the first real takedown bow I ever remember seeing while I was practicing one night at my local JOAD program. I was totally mesmerized by this bow you could just clip together and go shoot, without even needing sights! I've never really gotten it out of my head, even though it took another 27 years before I got one.

It's an A riser in Bubinga (clearly) and phenolic with #3 limbs in 42# weight. At my draw (29 1/2") it's just right at my desired weight (44-45 lbs or so). I haven't been able to tune it yet - just shot about 50 or so arrows to get a feel. I love this thing. I started on a Samick Sage with 35# limbs. I knew this would be a huge step up, but I wasn't expecting the Bear to feel as comfortable at full draw as the Sage, despite nearly 8 more lbs of draw weight. I'll be getting a new string - I'm not just about the neon yellow one, but I don't think it'll be too hard to tune.

Here are a few of the obligatory pictures. There are many like it, but this one's mine. Not the greatest group ever, but I guess it's to be expected.
    3b5a92ff823413a3d7dddc23b210fafa.jpg
    de5a27d27ce992566afb8d7faeaf424c.jpg
    5e2a6ad377f429b38ac1ab21880fe45c.jpg
    4e95434fc58a2c437223f8afb32afa60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Neat classic bow there. Like the compass on it. Everything else is really nice. My first bow was a Bear Polar LTD compound heavy as hell. Fellow bow hunter here. Good luck and success with it.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Well Happy Birthday to you! A month early. This forum has an unwritten standard with gun pics, there should be a sock covered foot in one of the pics. I'm not sure if it applies to bow pics as well. :shrug: someone more familiar with the protocol may chime in. :D

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Well Happy Birthday to you! A month early. This forum has an unwritten standard with gun pics, there should be a sock covered foot in one of the pics. I'm not sure if it applies to bow pics as well. :shrug: someone more familiar with the protocol may chime in. :D
    I'll try to get a foot in next pic. I'd hate to break that kind of rule!

Question: I know rule of thumb for recurve bow strings is 4" less than AMO, but I see 3" less from some places, like 60x strings. How much does it really matter?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Congrats. The Bear T/D's are fantastic. I have had several of all types. A,B,C's with 1,2,and 3's.

I have had several Mag risers, and refinished a bunch of them. My prized possession was a Type I A riser that was immaculate and unmolested. It was a "safe queen" and eventually ended up in a friend of mine's collection which gave him consecutive numbered Type I A's.

A w/ #3's is also my favorite. Glad Bear brought them back. I have hung out with Neil Byce and Co. many times at Denton Hill.

Enjoy a great B-Day present.

60"AMO recurve = 56" string

I make flemish twist strings, this is how I know.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Beautiful bow, and a happy early birthday! That's pretty good group if this is your first foray into instinctive shooting. May it bring you many more years of shooting enjoyment.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Nice bow,

How easy is the limb locks?
    What is the deer tine in the quiver for?
    The limb clips are super easy to use and seem very stable. At least the design is a winner, or else they wouldn't have made them since 1970.

The tine has a 2-blade broadhead glued in so it's a short knife. Looks neat but I've never used it. I just came with the quiver.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Beautiful bow, and a happy early birthday! That's pretty good group if this is your first foray into instinctive shooting. May it bring you many more years of shooting enjoyment.
    Thanks! I've been shooting barebow off and on for 3years, though I only just picked it up again a few weeks ago after a long break when my second child was born.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Congrats. The Bear T/D's are fantastic. I have had several of all types. A,B,C's with 1,2,and 3's.

I have had several Mag risers, and refinished a bunch of them. My prized possession was a Type I A riser that was immaculate and unmolested. It was a "safe queen" and eventually ended up in a friend of mine's collection which gave him consecutive numbered Type I A's.

A w/ #3's is also my favorite. Glad Bear brought them back. I have hung out with Neil Byce and Co. many times at Denton Hill.

Enjoy a great B-Day present.

60"AMO recurve = 56" string

I make flemish twist strings, this is how I know.
    I remember that first one I saw was an older green stripe riser, probably a B and in maple, though I'm not sure now. Of course, I didn't know all that at the time.

Thanks for the string info. Do you sell them?

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Out of curiosity, when the bow is unstrung, how tightly should the limbs fit in the clips? I get a little bit - certainly less than 1/32" - of lateral play. None top-to-bottom, and none at all when it's strung.

By the way the clips are designed, I'd be surprised if you could get a perfectly tight fit unstrung. I'd have a hard time seeing how manufacturing tolerances could be that clean for a product like this where any limb should first any riser, but I thought I'd ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom