• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    NAP Killzone's are dead on every time. I even tried the spitfire and doublecross and they were perfect too. I never even practice with the broadheads. I take the target out in August to bzo with field points then check it again around October. The only problem I ever had was when I left the crossbow cocked for several days at a time. The string must have stretched because it was shooting low and a couple deer weren't recovered. After that I never left it cocked overnight again. I use a tenpoint turbo. I love it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Figure this one out for me. I had the xbow set for field point. I put on hbx hheads because they are shooting low. After several shots I am 24 clicks up and 8 clicks left. Shooting the hbx good at 20 and 30.

Then, I want to see how off the field points are so I shoot them at 30 yards. Hit the tennis ball and right next to it. How can I adjust the scope to fix the broadheads and the field points are still accurate?

I got the Chinese rages today and getting inconsistent shots. One was 2” right and 1” low. Fix the scope and next shot was 5” low and right. Next shot closer. My daughter tried one on her xbow and shooting left and erratic. Might try some again, but I and my daughter are both not impressed so far

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    2" right and 1" low sounds like minute of deer to me. If you can hit a 9" paper plate at 30 yards that is a dead deer. I have used those crappy chinese rage knockoffs and they kill deer just fine--and sometimes you can use them twice but they are cheap enough for one time use. My Excalibur likes them just fine, along with cheapo Walmart carbon bolts and some unknown brand carbon bolts I have had for years.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yea, but they were all over the place for me, as if they are planing also. One time on the plate and the next missed the plate and almost missed the mulch bag. I have shot 4 of them and some used multiple times. O rings breaking after 2 shots, easily replaced. One lost a blade, must have snapped, in the bag after a third shot. No visible damage the the aluminum head though.

(EDIT) 40 yards the HBX is ok but moving around a bit. Still on plate but not liking it. Shot the Chinese rage again at 30 yards and missed the mulch bag. A full 18” off the center of that plate and stuck in my dirt back stop. These were disappointing. (/EDIT)

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    spitfire 125 accuracy

I have found that spitfire 125 accuracy is 1 inch at 30 yards out of a Horton Legend X175 CB. The target points and warheads hit the same target area.

The problem I have w/ mechanicals is that they go thru the deer at this range and are usually found 50+ yards beyond the point of impact. If the bolts hit wood etc., the warhead is toast because the razors get bent and will no longer fold back into the arrow head.

The other problem is that perfectly hit deer tend to die 30-60 yards from where they were hit.

While I like the accuracy of the spitfires, do broad heads plant the animal better or is this SOP w/ archery hunting no matter the warhead?

Anybody try the new Ravin? 100 yd moi accuracy would be incredible.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have found that spitfire 125 accuracy is 1 inch at 30 yards out of a Horton Legend X175 CB. The target points and warheads hit the same target area.

The problem I have w/ mechanicals is that they go thru the deer at this range and are usually found 50+ yards beyond the point of impact. If the bolts hit wood etc., the warhead is toast because the razors get bent and will no longer fold back into the arrow head.

The other problem is that perfectly hit deer tend to die 30-60 yards from where they were hit.

While I like the accuracy of the spitfires, do broad heads plant the animal better or is this SOP w/ archery hunting no matter the warhead?

Anybody try the new Ravin? 100 yd moi accuracy would be incredible.

I have had heart-shot deer cover 150 yds. It only takes a few seconds. If you want to drop them in place, spine shoot them(I do not recommend this at all :tdown:).

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have had heart-shot deer cover 150 yds. It only takes a few seconds. If you want to drop them in place, spine shoot them(I do not recommend this at all :tdown:).

I hear you! I don't heart shoot (regardless of weapon) anything anymore because when you destroy the pump, there is no blood trail, (usually) and it makes them harder to track. At least w/ lung/boilermaker shots, especially w/ arrows, there is a blood trail to follow. I think they may even drop faster w/ a lung v/s heart shot. How a deer can run over 100 yards w/ no heart has always been a mystery to me .

A 12guage slug, or riffle shot usually drops them promptly due, (I suppose) to hydro-static shock in the same kill zones.

In summary, the warhead doesn't really matter, accuracy does except perhaps for that 'Ravin' CB where you could probably go w/ a heavier warhead and increase the energy of the impact.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hear you! I don't heart shoot (regardless of weapon) anything anymore because when you destroy the pump, there is no blood trail, (usually) and it makes them harder to track. At least w/ lung/boilermaker shots, especially w/ arrows, there is a blood trail to follow. I think they may even drop faster w/ a lung v/s heart shot. How a deer can run over 100 yards w/ no heart has always been a mystery to me .

A 12guage slug, or riffle shot usually drops them promptly due, (I suppose) to hydro-static shock in the same kill zones.

In summary, the warhead doesn't really matter, accuracy does except perhaps for that 'Ravin' CB where you could probably go w/ a heavier warhead and increase the energy of the impact.
    Whenever an animal(including hamans) receives an injury, part of its automatic natural physical response is to flood that injury with blood in order to clot up and seal the wound. Bruises are the same thing.

Deer hit too high, in a lot of cases, won't leave much of a blood trail because all the blood ends up in the chest cavity.

Heart shots(archery), to me, are some of the easiest to track, except when shot at a steep, high angle. Another problem with high angle shots is you get a lot of single lung shots. Many deer can survive a single lung shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Figure this one out for me. I had the xbow set for field point. I put on hbx hheads because they are shooting low. After several shots I am 24 clicks up and 8 clicks left. Shooting the hbx good at 20 and 30.

Then, I want to see how off the field points are so I shoot them at 30 yards. Hit the tennis ball and right next to it. How can I adjust the scope to fix the broadheads and the field points are still accurate?

I got the Chinese rages today and getting inconsistent shots. One was 2” right and 1” low. Fix the scope and next shot was 5” low and right. Next shot closer. My daughter tried one on her xbow and shooting left and erratic. Might try some again, but I and my daughter are both not impressed so far

How are you cocking your bow?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am cocking it with a standard two hook pulley cocking rope. Even pressure on each side. I just ordered new arrows and picked up the KillerTech Pro 20" bolts. I got some feedback on CE bolts not being the best quality for some bows. I have tried switching everything else and messing with FOC and no luck. I changed everything but the bolts and have them coming Saturday, hopefully. People also recommended Spinal Tapps and Black Eagle Executioner bolts. The killertechs fixed similar problems for other people I read about on crossbow sites. and made by the xbow manufacturer, or for them.

Sooner or later I will have eliminated the problem. I got 51 days and 19 hours to fix it. ;) I have come close to just limiting to 20 yards and staying with the selfbow.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Well, I am happy to report back. I got the KillerTech Pro bolts yesterday, but it was my birthday and I was too busy getting toasted and eating steak to shoot the crossbow. ;)

I set two beer boxes full of mulch up and used that for my broadhead target. First shot at 20 yards in the normal target with a field point an inch right. Then put a G5 Montech and Tocar HBX head though the same hole at an inch right. Luckily after removing the first. Adjusted the scope and back to 30 and 40 yards. All perfect all the time now. The chinese rage knock off are flying perfectly now too. These bolts work perfectly and even shoot flatter than the last one and don't drop as fast.

My entire problem was the Carbon Express bolt didn't shoot out of my crossbow with broadheads.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well, I am happy to report back. I got the KillerTech Pro bolts yesterday, but it was my birthday and I was too busy getting toasted and eating steak to shoot the crossbow. ;)

I set two beer boxes full of mulch up and used that for my broadhead target. First shot at 20 yards in the normal target with a field point an inch right. Then put a G5 Montech and Tocar HBX head though the same hole at an inch right. Luckily after removing the first. Adjusted the scope and back to 30 and 40 yards. All perfect all the time now. The chinese rage knock off are flying perfectly now too. These bolts work perfectly and even shoot flatter than the last one and don't drop as fast.

My entire problem was the Carbon Express bolt didn't shoot out of my crossbow with broadheads.
    nice so they are probably sturdier? Maybe the carbon express is too flexible?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The bolts were recommended by one person because Killer instinct has them made for them. I have to use Half moon nocks and I think even though they are factory made they are still indexed and and checked for straightness. Anything under.003 out of line is rejected. Some will sell .001 for a slight increase.

A lot of people suggested buying Black Eagle Executioner or the Spynal Tapp bolts. I am finding out Bolts make the Xbow!!

From what I have read bolts are affected by every archery dynamic twice as bad because of the short length. So do yourself the benefit and buy good bolts! I wasted a lot of time fighting this and hope it helps someone else. These new bolts fly perfectly with every broad head I have. I can go back to my tried and true three bladed heads.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I cut some 2x4's to bridge the gap on the spine tester. Now, its home made and I do not have a spine chart for 20" arrows. It used a 2# weight and a protractor to measure deflection of the arrow being bent by the weight.

This is the amount defelction I got on the bolts I have access too. The Wicked ridges are my daughters for her Wicked Ridge Xbow.

Killertech Pro = 4°
    WickedRidge bolts by Easton = 6°
    Carbon Express Pile Drivers = 9°

The CE's are probably flexing more on release and causing the broadheads to plan more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom