• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    So I was getting some camping supplies at Dick's last night, and while walking past the hunting section I decided to pick up a box of clays and a couple boxes of Winchester Target Sport #8 shotshells. Even though you might not call my gun the ideal trap shooter (Maverick 88 with Knoxx SpecOps M4 style recoil-absorbing stock, short barrel, heat shield, and sidesaddle shell holder) I figured why not give it a shot (no pun intended)?

After taking my brother to shoot a handgun for the first time (started him on my CZ-75B with .22 kit on, then moved him to my Steyr .40 cal lol...), we moved over to the trap range. I showed him how to work the clay thrower (set, place clay(s), pull cord). I yelled "pull!" and watched the first orange disc take to the sky. I had never seen anything like this since playing Duck Hunt with a light gun in my living room 10 years ago. Lined up the bead on the end of my 18.5" home defense barrel, tracked with the clay, pulled the trigger and watched the disc split in 2 even pieces and fall to the ground. Instant ear-to-ear sh!t-eating grin ;)

I went through 9 more (hitting all of them) before I had my brother try. He had never even fired a shotgun, and was a little intimidated so he missed all 5 clays I threw for him. Then I had him man the thrower again as I blasted through 10 more shells. I even had him throw a couple doubles in there. I only missed one clay out of 20, and it was a low flier (I tend to go for the higher one that's farther to the left first). But apparently that's pretty good for a first-timer.

I've still got about 65 clays left (I think one or two were broken out of the box) and a couple more boxes of shells. I can't wait to get back out there, I was having a great time! It's so much more fun to shoot moving reactive targets than a sheet of paper :D

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I've fallen in love with skeet (trap seems boring to me), so much so I just bought me a 28" O/U... luckily it was only $300.

I'll be at PG Trap and Skeet pretty much weekly now that I've discovered how much fun it is.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I went through 9 more (hitting all of them) before I had my brother try. He had never even fired a shotgun, and was a little intimidated so he missed all 5 clays I threw for him. Then I had him man the thrower again as I blasted through 10 more shells. I even had him throw a couple doubles in there. I only missed one clay out of 20, and it was a low flier (I tend to go for the higher one that's farther to the left first). But apparently that's pretty good for a first-timer.

That is damn good for a first timer. My first attempt back in the winter went far worse score wise, though I didn't keep an accurate record. Did remind me that I need new glasses though :innocent0

Where were you shooting at? I made the trip over to PG Trap and Skeet myself based on recommendations though I wouldn't mind having a place closer to home to occasionally spend time at.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    How much does it cost to shoot at the PG Skeet Place ? I have been visiting it there but i do not know the average cost there ....

I think its 5 bucks a game and if necessary you can rent one of their Berettas for another 5.

they also sell shells at a reasonable price, not great, but reasonable, and as long as you show them what shells you are using you can bring your own.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I was shooting at my IWLA chapter range. We've got just a regular spring-loaded thrower permanently bolted in the ground, centered in front of 5 lanes for the matches. We have a bunker to throw clays for shooters at different distances etc.

I asked my gf to go with me this Friday and she said yes :) That box of clays is staring at me... Must... break.... all of them............

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    I was shooting at my IWLA chapter range. We've got just a regular spring-loaded thrower permanently bolted in the ground, centered in front of 5 lanes for the matches. We have a bunker to throw clays for shooters at different distances etc.

I asked my gf to go with me this Friday and she said yes :) That box of clays is staring at me... Must... break.... all of them............

where do you go?
    I want to get back into trap shooting (ok I have only done it twice, but Loved it.) Now just need a range, and a gun.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome to the world of cranky old men arguing over what gun, powder, shot, wad are all the best for busting clays :lol2:

It's addicting, wonderful and frustrating all at the same time. Now that school's out I fully intend to get back to the range for a few rounds a week.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You guys should check out National Capital Skeet and Trap club in Gaithersburg.

Thanks for the tip. I'm starting to like this more and more! On each trip to the range when I bring the shotgun and clays along, shooting pistols is almost a chore! I can't wait to get out of the booths and out into the open to throw some clays :party29:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You guys should check out National Capital Skeet and Trap club in Gaithersburg.

Are they open again? I thought that they were pretty much shut down due to an enviromental problem drummed up by the antis.

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    Are they open again? I thought that they were pretty much shut down due to an enviromental problem drummed up by the antis.

I'm not sure, I worked there when I was in High School and haven't been back to the place in over 10 years. I just threw the name out there because It was one of the best skeet and trap clubs around back in the day.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm not sure, I worked there when I was in High School and haven't been back to the place in over 10 years. I just threw the name out there because It was one of the best skeet and trap clubs around back in the day.

As I recall, they were all but shut down thanks to some whiners about lead contamination in a stream nearby.

That would explain why so many MoCo people come to PGC.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm starting to like this more and more! On each trip to the range when I bring the shotgun and clays along, shooting pistols is almost a chore! I can't wait to get out of the booths and out into the open to throw some clays :party29:

If you'd like more excitement in your pistol shooting, you should get out to an IPSC match.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Elkneck is ok for clays but be aware every year someone breaks the thrower, and it is replaced the following year. Hey Pauln, I use to live in Joppatowne where abouts in the joppa area are you? and also my friend does still shakes his head in shame about dropping your mag in the mud two Rally Point shoots ago. The one also known as the Rally Monsoon Shoot. :D

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Just off of Mountain Rd. a couple miles north of I-95. The mags hit the ground at every pistol match. It's normal and your friend shouldn't concern himself about it.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Ahh, My In-Laws were living just south of 95 right near mountain road when I first meet my wife. I told my friend not to worry but when you are shooting a competion shooters rig, one would worry more about it. I shy away from modified shooters firearms If I can :) to save face if not anything else

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If you'd like more excitement in your pistol shooting, you should get out to an IPSC match.

I plan to eventually. The Monocacy Pistol Club looks nice, however my IWLA range is about 3 miles from my house, give or take, and it's beyond convenient. All they have for pistols is a standard target range, paper targets only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom