Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    This certainly escalated quickly!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The MD DNR was created because of the oyster wars. It’s the oldest DNR in the US.

Google “oyster wars”, it’s an interesting read.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I will Be glad when there’s not an oyster, fish or crab in the bay and the watermen all gone. Only then will people actually decide to clean up the bay. Maybe. And it can’t happen fast enough to suit me.
    The sooner the better.

I remember the September we learned the most every oyster died, I remember the year the moratorium started, I caught more rockfish that year than I had ever caught in my life, there were shit tons of them and we couldn’t give them away and we couldn’t get any news people to report that there were a lot of fish that year, because it wasn’t what they wanted to report.

Once upon a time in md you couldn’t get elected dog catcher without farmers and watermen, now there aren’t enough farmers and watermen to elect a dog catcher.

Yep, I will Be glad when the bays so filthy that it’s void of life. Maybe folks will actually try to remedy the real problem.

I remember so many rock in the Choptank you could almost walk on them at night during the fall of the first year of the moratorium.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I will Be glad when there’s not an oyster, fish or crab in the bay and the watermen all gone. Only then will people actually decide to clean up the bay. Maybe. And it can’t happen fast enough to suit me.
    The sooner the better.

I remember the September we learned the most every oyster died, I remember the year the moratorium started, I caught more rockfish that year than I had ever caught in my life, there were shit tons of them and we couldn’t give them away and we couldn’t get any news people to report that there were a lot of fish that year, because it wasn’t what they wanted to report.

Once upon a time in md you couldn’t get elected dog catcher without farmers and watermen, now there aren’t enough farmers and watermen to elect a dog catcher.

Yep, I will Be glad when the bays so filthy that it’s void of life. Maybe folks will actually try to remedy the real problem.

Sir, One of the best ways to clean up the Bay is to restore the oyster population instead of harvesting every last one of them. Cleaning up municipal waste treatment plants, outlawing fertilizer for lawns and crops, and mandating 500 ft. grass buffers around all fields and streams in the Bay watershed would also work but dream on. Each adult oyster filters 55 gallons of water each day! Once upon a time, the entire Bay was filtered every 3 days by these delectable critters. Since banning fertilizer is a non-starter and we don't have billions to invest in municipal sewage, how about spending $10 million + fuel using watermen to help restore the oyster beds during the oyster restoration period? as a start? This works out to over $20K per boat per non-crabbing season.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sir, One of the best ways to clean up the Bay is to restore the oyster population instead of harvesting every last one of them. Cleaning up municipal waste treatment plants, outlawing fertilizer for lawns and crops, and mandating 500 ft. grass buffers around all fields and streams in the Bay watershed would also work but dream on. Each adult oyster filters 55 gallons of water each day! Once upon a time, the entire Bay was filtered every 3 days by these delectable critters. Since banning fertilizer is a non-starter and we don't have billions to invest in municipal sewage, how about spending $10 million + fuel using watermen to help restore the oyster beds during the oyster restoration period? as a start? This works out to over $20K per boat per non-crabbing season.

We have preached no bag power dredging of dead oyster bars since msx and darvo killed almost every oyster in the bay and tributaries.

The states not gonna do it

They won’t be happy till allbthe watermen are gone but no one wants to be the governor or legislator who killed the once great industry

And shit, the state has all but strangled farmers in md restricting fertilizer but most fertilizer pollutants come from other states, as much as 90% some scientists say

It’s hila that the 500 remaining watermen are supposed to be so all powerful that they just direct the state of md what to do but we have 20 k members here , most who are fighting for the 2a and md not only ignores us but they flip us off and laugh at us. How’s that possible??

We closed our oyster house down years ago and sold our boats. Soon enough I will quit farming because I am old , sick and tired of the md ********. Md has won as far as I am concerned. The old ways are all but dead.

Funny thing, I have a friend in va with an oyster house who hired a couple scientists and they figure out how many oysters they can sell per year and add a percentage to it grow their own spat, force a strike and put that many oysters overboard in cages and is doing better than ever. But they are required to only use sterile oysters , Asian oysters, because they dont want them in the bay. Hell I say put the Asians in and see what happens, no one that eats them can tell the difference, but shells and rock would still need to be brought up by bagless dredging so there would be something for them to strike on so I rekon that’s out slso

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It’s facinating history.

It is

I used to buy oysters and I loved listening to the old men

The smith islanders and tangeermen and Cobb islanders would talk endlessly about it

I unreal an old tangeerman who was shot thru the cabin of his boat and thru his side with a 50 cal from the dnr, they weren’t shooting at him until he shot at them lol

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    We have preached no bag power dredging of dead oyster bars since msx and darvo killed almost every oyster in the bay and tributaries.

The states not gonna do it

They won’t be happy till allbthe watermen are gone but no one wants to be the governor or legislator who killed the once great industry

And shit, the state has all but strangled farmers in md restricting fertilizer but most fertilizer pollutants come from other states, as much as 90% some scientists say

It’s hila that the 500 remaining watermen are supposed to be so all powerful that they just direct the state of md what to do but we have 20 k members here , most who are fighting for the 2a and md not only ignores us but they flip us off and laugh at us. How’s that possible??

We closed our oyster house down years ago and sold our boats. Soon enough I will quit farming because I am old , sick and tired of the md ********. Md has won as far as I am concerned. The old ways are all but dead.

Funny thing, I have a friend in va with an oyster house who hired a couple scientists and they figure out how many oysters they can sell per year and add a percentage to it grow their own spat, force a strike and put that many oysters overboard in cages and is doing better than ever. But they are required to only use sterile oysters , Asian oysters, because they dont want them in the bay. Hell I say put the Asians in and see what happens, no one that eats them can tell the difference, but shells and rock would still need to be brought up by bagless dredging so there would be something for them to strike on so I rekon that’s out slso

I am very sorry to learn about your oyster business and farming issues.

It is my understanding that the Asian oysters are still outlawed as of 2018 and I hope remain banned. The sterile oysters are Triploid versions of good ole Crassostrea virginicus. These are used in aquaculture because of their 30% or so faster growth rate compared to diploid oysters that are fertile and consume a lot of energy to reproduce each year, hence the slower growth rate.

I don't like the idea of introducing the Asian oysters due to the unknown future ecological consequences of yet another foreign species let loose in our ecosystem. Studies continue but stay tuned. Dermo and MSX resistant strains of Crassostrea virginicus are also being developed from beds that survived the '80s holocaust. Modern Bay oysters are more resistant than their ancestors.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am very sorry to learn about your oyster business and farming issues.

It is my understanding that the Asian oysters are still outlawed as of 2018 and I hope remain banned. The sterile oysters are Triploid versions of good ole Crassostrea virginicus. These are used in aquaculture because of their 30% or so faster growth rate compared to diploid oysters that are fertile and consume a lot of energy to reproduce each year, hence the slower growth rate.

I don't like the idea of introducing the Asian oysters due to the unknown future ecological consequences of yet another foreign species let loose in our ecosystem. Studies continue but stay tuned. Dermo and MSX resistant strains of Crassostrea virginicus are also being developed from beds that survived the '80s holocaust. Modern Bay oysters are more resistant than their ancestors.

They are trips but Asian and take 1/3 the time to grow. Beautiful round and fat as butter

Oyster houses and crab houses and small family farms are things of the past, don’t feel sorry for us , but I do feel sorry for the hundreds of people it affected when we closed

They do use some local trips for events that require it though

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    And if I sound foul or pissed it’s because in my lifetime I have seen the great seafood industry of md , which employed almost everyone I knew in one way or another , go from greatness to shit. also the only people I knew that weren’t in or related to the seafood industry were tobacco farmers and there were so many you couldn’t count them and now that’s gone.

And the state my family settled in hundreds of years ago has turned right to liberal unfree ********

And the mga will be in session soon so i will Be feeling even more miserable

So my apologies if I have offended anyone

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I went looking for some numbers I thought would be easy to find but weren't so from various sources I cobbled together some that should be close to correct.

Remember Maryland has the Flush Tax to "clean up the bay".

Chesapeake Bay watershed = 64,299 square miles Total.
    Virginia = 23,906 square miles.
    Pennsylvania = 22,600 square miles.
    Maryland = 7,892 square miles.
    New York = 5,625 square miles.
    West Virginia = 3,570 square Miles
    Delaware = 706 square miles.

Link to Chesapeake Bay Watershed map:
    https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb1046486.png

I live in Maryland I pay the "Flush Tax" I do not live in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed my waste goes to the Delaware Bay.

Last edited:

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I went looking for some numbers I thought would be easy to find but weren't so from various sources I cobbled together some that should be close to correct.

Remember Maryland has the Flush Tax to "clean up the bay".

Chesapeake Bay watershed = 64,000 square miles.
    Virginia = 23,906 square miles.
    Pennsylvania = 22,600 square miles.
    Maryland = 11,163 square miles.
    New York = 5,625 square miles.
    Delaware = 706 square miles.

Thank you for researching that. It does bring up the question of if we want the states to take care of their own environmental affairs or do we want the federal government to do so? Because it seems as if the only way to solve this is for the feds to step in, seeing as the Bay is basically an interstate issue. I can’t think of any solution on my own so I hope smart people are working on this.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Thank you for researching that. It does bring up the question of if we want the states to take care of their own environmental affairs or do we want the federal government to do so? Because it seems as if the only way to solve this is for the feds to step in, seeing as the Bay is basically an interstate issue. I can’t think of any solution on my own so I hope smart people are working on this.

Feds need to stay out of it. The states can sue each other over it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Feds need to stay out of it. The states can sue each other over it.

Uhhh... isn't that exactly a federal issue - to resolve interstate issues?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's what adit is saying, that's what federal court is for. Congress and the president can keep their noses out of what states do

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom