• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    my remington 1100 is having an issue i dont know what is wrong w/ it maybe someone knows the part i need to replace or fix. I load it up, pull the bolt back, press the button in front of the triggergaurd to chamber a round. shoot, and the bolt kicks back, ejects the shell and then does not automatically load another round, the chamber remains open and requires the button to be pushed again. I have also found out that winchester bird shot doesnt have enough ass to kick the bolt open.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I am far from an expert, but I know they are integral to the semi-auto action. It is easy enough to check out.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I sounds to me like the deal with the bird shot may be, as Vince said, related to the o-ring and the pston and piston seal.

The o-ring is the black rubber ring, and the piston and piston seal are the two silver rings that fit together under the barrel lug.

The o-ring gets brittle and the piston/piston seal assembly can get worn or dirty and allow gas to escape. This will cause a light load to short stroke and not activate the bolt with sufficient force to move the action.

It' a simple and inexpensive swap out of parts. You should consider this part of maintenance for this gun. Keep 3-4 o-rings and an extra set of the piston assembly around. Scott's Gunsmithing up in Glen Burnie did a good job on the last one I bought used.

Be sure to check the barrel mount. The tend to break, apparently.

The first problem that you mentioned seems unrelated to the gas system since it appears that with a full power load you are getting sufficient gas to operate the action.

Have you tried different brands of shells to see if that narrows things down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom