• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We have found the hearing protectors with the built in microphone to be invaluable when communicating with a new shooter at the line.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My 7yr old son's first range day was at AGC this last October. He shot the Marlin XT-22YR rifle that his grandfather gave him as well as my Browning Buckmark Hunter with an Aimpoint Micro H1 red dot. Target: pumpkins!

He favored my Buckmark, since the red dot was more intuitive to him. Here's a picture of my wife and I supervising him.

Attachments

• Pumpkin_family.jpg
      Pumpkin_family.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 189

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Awesome!! My 11 year old daughter is my shooting buddy. Just wait until he gets into centerfire Guns. Your wallet will hate you but you'll have a permanent smile on your face.

With my son enjoying trap, but not wanting to do much, I'll take him to the range next to shoot my 10/22. I figure it is only a couple of short steps from that to driving out to Delmarva so he can shoot my AR-15 with their steel. He is a big 9 year old.

Might not be a "this year" thing though. I'll be lucky if I can find the time to take him to the range twice this year and once might have to be a combo camping/range trip out to greenridge.

ALeGatore

Feb 25, 2017
    A few decades ago, I belonged to the AGC, then I got married and had kids and gave up the guns. I day I saw my son looking at a firearms book he got from the library. I asked if he wanted to shoot. He looked at me and I saw the excitement in his eyes. That weekend, we went to the gun store and the sales person started to hand him firearms of which he never knew existed. His look in eyes was priceless. The following weekend we went back and I saw a used Marlin 25N in 22LR. I got to start us off. I walked him through how the gun operates and we both went to the AGC to get our badges. Watched a few videos in firearms safety. Once we got everything ready to go we went to our first day at the 100 yard range at the AGC and when he fired his first shot 22LR is a sight I will never forget. We then graduated from the 22LR to the BIG BLACK AWESOME GUN. I built a DMR in 5.56 20" WOA bbl, Nikon 4-12X scope, Troy Rails, Surefire warcomp, Geissele 2 stage match trigger. We both zeroed the scope at 50 yrds then 100 yards. We worked as a team to configure and set up the AR. We then went to the big boy range (200 Yards) and sighted the gun there as well. Now he is shooting .5 inch groups at 200 yards at the AGC. He since then took my AR for himself so I had to build a second one for myself.

The kicker to all this however is after each trip to the range, I most of the time end up cleaning multiple guns when we get home. So now we are training on disassembly of the AR and cleaning practices. Exposing him to the sweet smell of Hoppes #9 was something else. Getting black carbon his hands after shooting 200 rds was another great experience. We spent practically the whole day getting ready to go to the range, shooting then cleaning.

It is the greatest experience ever!!!! Go Get Some!!!!!! As Jerry Miculek would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom