• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Probably been asked a million times; if you go to work - then go to the range - then go home - is that considered on the way to/from the range

or

are you compelled to got to work - go home pick up the handgun - go to the range - got back home??

And assume that your place of work is OK with a firearm in the vehicle. I for example federal gov facilities would be a no no unless your are LE.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Handgun is from the home to the range and to the home again.

No detours. No stopping to eat. No stopping for gas. Etc.

I would think leaving your handgun in your car at work for eight hours would be especially bad if caught.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I would think leaving your handgun in your car at work for eight hours would be especially bad if caught.

The above mentioned thread addresses your point. I am going to NOT leave the handguns in the car even if it's for just a couple hours; better safe than sorry.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The above mentioned thread addresses your point. I am going to NOT leave the handguns in the car even if it's for just a couple hours.

More times than I can count, I've found myself heading to the range on an empty tank.

With the engine sucking fumes on the way back home.

It's such a BS set of handgun laws and regulations.

But they appear to be all the rage in Maryland.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    As long as you're transporting your firearms in the legally prescribed manner, to places they are legally allowed, and not while intending to engage in criminal activity, you should be fine. I'm not a lawyer but I can't find where it says you must go from home to "approved venue" and back home again with no diversions.(Bolded "on the way to", does anyone have the "legal" definition of this phrase?)

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...cle=gcr&section=4-203&ext=html&session=2015RS

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    And this pertaining to handguns. Long guns do not have the same restrictions - correct?
    The part of the law I posted is specifically about handguns, long gun transport rules are more relaxed.
    Also - what about a designated collector?
    Honestly, designated collector doesn't mean a thing. Bona fide collector is what really matters. Problem is, that's just another undefined term. Can you be a collector without being designated as one? Can you be a collector if you have very few firearms? Does owning many firearms actually make you a collector? What if the firearms you're transporting aren't actually part of your "collection", but just firearms that you also happen to own?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Nonsense. The law says nothing of the sort.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'm not saying driving all over town with it, but stopping for gas or running into a 7-11 on the way to/from the range is not prohibited. Do you really think if you had your range bag and targets in your vehicle that you'd be arrested/charged because you stopped for gas? Sorry but those who say you can't make any stops whatsoever are suffering from BGOS.
    BTW, I'm not advocating transporting outside the law and keeping a handgun in your car.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm not saying driving all over town with it, but stopping for gas or running into a 7-11 on the way to/from the range is not prohibited. Do you really think if you had your range bag and targets in your vehicle that you'd be arrested/charged because you stopped for gas? Sorry but those who say you can't make any stops whatsoever are suffering from BGOS.
    BTW, I'm not advocating transporting outside the law and keeping a handgun in your car.

Gas OK and 7-11 OK.

If that's OK. What else is OK?

Going gun shopping at your LGS. Stopping and getting a bite to eat at Wendy's?

Are we talking about locations? Time spent at those locations?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Gas OK and 7-11 OK.

If that's OK. What else is OK?

Going gun shopping at your LGS. Stopping and getting a bite to eat at Wendy's?

Are we talking about locations? Are we talking about time spent at those locations?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Short answers :
    No.
    Yes.

Open ended with no difinitive answer :

Stopping enroute is probably more zero, but undefined .

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Maryland law does not prohibit stopping. (Other states use the word directly.)

On the other hand, MD does not define transport.

Personal, non-lawyer opinion: You're OK to stop for gas. You're OK to stop at Wawa. (Better than 7-Eleven) Never stop at Wendy's.
    I'm not going to leave a gun i my car for a longer period when I can't keep an eye on it.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you can remember a few yeas ago when some people had their Pistols stolen from the car when they left an indoor shooting range in the Ft. Meade Area?
    I worked with one of those men. He stopped at a grocery store and came out to find his window smashed and his gun gone. The Police made no comment to him about NOT being able to stop on his way home.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nonsense. The law says nothing of the sort.

this. absolutely nothing in 4-203 that mentions directly to and from an allowed activity. Some other states do, but not MD.

You neede to decide for yourself the level of risk you are willing to expose yourself to when deciding how to transport to an allowed activity.

IANAL.

appropriate section of 4-203 below

Attachments

• 203.jpg
      203.jpg
      24.9 KB · Views: 734

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    More times than I can count, I've found myself heading to the range on an empty tank.

With the engine sucking fumes on the way back home.

It's such a BS set of handgun laws and regulations.

But they appear to be all the rage in Maryland.

If I need gas, I'm stopping for gas. If I'm hungry, I'm stopping to eat. If I have an errand to run where I feel my truck will be safe, I'm stopping.

I wouldn't stop at the movies or go into a mall for 2 hours but that is just general concern for having my vehicle broken into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom