• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    A field grade can be a great find or can be a little disappointing. Either way price wise if you dont like it you could sell it and get your money back pretty easily around here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Take the drive to the North Store an pick your own! Worth the trip, just a long drive from OC.
    5hrs 45 min from Hagerstown. Great trip ive enjoyed picking out several by hand and given the choice of a FG would always prefer hand picked.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I took the plunge last week, mailed my order for one on Tuesday evening. Havn't heard anything and nothing on the estore yet but I expect next week i'll see some activity. On the CMP forums I see some that were overnighted are saying grade c receivers with some pitting & reparked but overall a nice riffle. Also being reported on the CMP forums the south store got some nice inventory Thursday with correct & collector grade M1's, some 1903a3's along with the other grade M1's and its being reported that the north store may be receiving some of the same soon.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I have ordered 2 or3 Field grades over the past couple years. Highly unimpressed with them. The stocks are almost always chewed up, the receivers have been scrubbed with light markings and then parked. Barrels are usually a replacement. Parts are usually very light in finish. I personally will never purchase another field grade, I will stick with service grades or better.

With that said, I no longer own any field grades as I have let them all go. I highly prefer original finish Garands and with original barrels is a plus. My .02 cents, fwiw

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    We'll see, for 630 bucks I'm not going to complain for a beater. It'll be fun going through it tidying it up and re-barreling if necessary. The last field grade I ordered was about 10 years ago for about 400 bucks I think and it was like new and those days are way over. I gave it to my buddies 90 year old dad. This one I'll give to my youngest son when he makes it home sometime.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    My experience was different. The ones I got a few years ago were nice. Good numbers throat/muzzle and nice USGI stocks. Closer to Service Grade then Rack Grade, that's for sure. In fact, I started ordering Field Grade instead of Service Grade at the time since I didn't want any more with new CMP stocks. However, following the CMP forum lately it seems like more and more folks are saying they are seeing refinished receivers and numbers that are solidly field grade or closer to rack grade then service grade. Its all a gamble when you mail order of course...

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Do they have the same requirements for purchase if you show up instead of mail order? For example, do I have to be a member of a club?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Case added today, you never know what your going to get! I know what I wont be getting when my wife has to stay home all day.......... the keys to the ammo cabinet.

When they get ready to ship the SN will show on your order so then you can look up the born on date while waiting for delivery.:D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Yeah, I think the anticipation is as much fun as actually getting whats in the box.This time around I ordered a Criterion barrel in lieu of what has been recently reported for condition. I don't want to say I hope It's not needed,but somehow it doesn't bother me if it's worn because of the enjoyment factor. Then the decision making process will be underway after some field testing has been done.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I received a service grade a short time before my last order for the FG and was more than satisfied for what was delivered but it was comparable to Field grades I picked up in the past. Until more shake loose it seems as if most who cant make it to the SS arent going to have a choice but to hold out or investigate private sales. I don't mind a project rifle from CMP if that's the case and it needs some tlc. I looked at parts kits from Tony and Sarco and they're out of site for the production numbers of rifles that were produced making it a little more difficult to build a rifle from the parts bin or donor drill rifles. This will more than likely be the last one for me anyhow unless I build a living history or subversive variant from the dreaded (ugh) CAI cast receiver.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Sorry for the late response but here is a picture of the Field Grade I received back in November. I still haven't got to shoot it yet but I've gone thru it and cleaned & greased it all up.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
      IMG_0115.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 1,133

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    That looks excellent. Looking forward to mine even if it's more of a beater and a mutt.
    Order received: 11/28
    DBU: 12/14
    Order number: 633661

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom