Fishing Kayak, sit on top or sit in? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Howard County near Triadelphia and Rock Gorge reservoirs. I bought it used so I took what I could get, most of the time I wish it was 10' instead of 12'. I do venture out into the bay and tributaries some and then I'm a little happier that its 12'. If you're not on snaggedline.com go over there and poke around. Nice folks willing to share info.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Howard County near Triadelphia and Rock Gorge reservoirs. I bought it used so I took what I could get, most of the time I wish it was 10' instead of 12'. I do venture out into the bay and tributaries some and then I'm a little happier that its 12'. If you're not on snaggedline.com go over there and poke around. Nice folks willing to share info.

I'm outside Hagerstown, so I fish mostly small creeks and lakes. Nothing like the bay or large reservoirs.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I am from Fairplay and have a Commander 120, Ride 135 and a Old town Vapor 10XT sit in. You are welcome to try and inspect anyone of them, if you would like too, even though they are not what you asked about.

Personally I would vote for the Prescador over the Acend. I personally don't trust anything Bass Pro has ever made and this they cost cut a lot of their own products. My buddy bought an FS12 as his first kayak and the plastic was so thin they added spray foam under the seat to prevent the kayak from warping in the suns heat. I have BP Waterproof clothes, that are not, seen decoys chipping paint in the store, Redhead cloths that are sub par and seen their corner cutting with the kayaks too. I would be very wary of anything with their name on it! I still buy from them, but not their own products.

I know a lot of people have Acend's and they are happy with them, but I have seen the difference between their models and and the other stuff out there. A lot of guys have the 12T and they like it and the chair is said to be good. Many other have reported the back chair mount breaking as its plastic. The prescador Pro is probably make with thicker plastic and the seat simpler. Just my opinion fro years of kayak use and seeing things in the industry.

Fishing around here you could use the 10' model, but if you every want a trip to the bay or salt I would advise on upgrading to the 12' model and a rudder if you do it much. Shorter kayak are good in the Antietam but longer is better everywhere else.

Also, I hope you'renot a big guy as they are both 325 and 350# and stability is lost on kayaks if you exceed the weight limits with guy + gear.

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    Just up river from Little Orleans. To the original question, IN. My brother has an on top. His legs get sunburned and he tips more. I like my lower center of gravity.

Attachments

• OI000002.jpg
      OI000002.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 168

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I am from Fairplay and have a Commander 120, Ride 135 and a Old town Vapor 10XT sit in. You are welcome to try and inspect anyone of them, if you would like too, even though they are not what you asked about.

Personally I would vote for the Prescador over the Acend. I personally don't trust anything Bass Pro has ever made and this they cost cut a lot of their own products. My buddy bought an FS12 as his first kayak and the plastic was so thin they added spray foam under the seat to prevent the kayak from warping in the suns heat. I have BP Waterproof clothes, that are not, seen decoys chipping paint in the store, Redhead cloths that are sub par and seen their corner cutting with the kayaks too. I would be very wary of anything with their name on it! I still buy from them, but not their own products.

I know a lot of people have Acend's and they are happy with them, but I have seen the difference between their models and and the other stuff out there. A lot of guys have the 12T and they like it and the chair is said to be good. Many other have reported the back chair mount breaking as its plastic. The prescador Pro is probably make with thicker plastic and the seat simpler. Just my opinion fro years of kayak use and seeing things in the industry.

Fishing around here you could use the 10' model, but if you every want a trip to the bay or salt I would advise on upgrading to the 12' model and a rudder if you do it much. Shorter kayak are good in the Antietam but longer is better everywhere else.

Also, I hope you'renot a big guy as they are both 325 and 350# and stability is lost on kayaks if you exceed the weight limits with guy + gear.

I'm am about 6'1" 200lbs. I float the Conoceague mostly and hunt little pool lake in Hancock. I'm leaning toward 10' I think.

Just up river from Little Orleans. To the original question, IN. My brother has an on top. His legs get sunburned and he tips more. I like my lower center of gravity.

I like some of the newer sit ins with the bigger opening.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    fish or hunt little pool? As far a I know Little Pool is on the Fed property for the C&O canal and you can't hunt anything on their property. Big Pool is owned by Maryland and you can't hunt it either. Although I wish someone would get in there and push the geese out sometimes.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown

The price on then is insane, and it's 125lbs. No thanks.

fish or hunt little pool? As far a I know Little Pool is on the Fed property for the C&O canal and you can't hunt anything on their property. Big Pool is owned by Maryland and you can't hunt it either. Although I wish someone would get in there and push the geese out sometimes.

I just fish it. Not aware of any lakes near us you can hunt on. Word is you can hunt several parts of the Potomac and Conoceague but I'm still looking for the details on that.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    So I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Perception Pescador 10 pro for me and the Perception Sound for her. Little out of budget but it'll be worth it.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I don't care what anyone says, but you will agree later on that the seat will be worth every penny after you spend 5 hours fishing in it.

Give me a call when it warms up and we will do some floats. My one buddy already setup a early June float on FB where we will cook lunch. I want to do an over nighter this year at least. I spent all summer working last year fixing the damn garage.

We ahve these for shuttling between ramps.
    9-trailer-finished.jpg

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I don't care what anyone says, but you will agree later on that the seat will be worth every penny after you spend 5 hours fishing in it.

Give me a call when it warms up and we will do some floats. My one buddy already setup a early June float on FB where we will cook lunch. I want to do an over nighter this year at least. I spent all summer working last year fixing the damn garage.

We ahve these for shuttling between ramps.
    9-trailer-finished.jpg

Nice, yeah we will definitely get together and do some floating.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Did you find a local dealer? Hook1 and and Austin Kayak will normally ship to your house free.

There's one in Harrisburg that has the 10 pro and 12 pro side by side. They actually have a left ober 2017 12 pro for less than the 10 pro. Might snatch it up I'm not sure. Probably will go look this weekend.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    A 12 will track better than a 10 if you are going distances. If you are not, a 10 is lighter. ;)

The difference in these 2 is only 10 lbs. I think the extra length may come in handy and the weight capacity is 50lbs higher.

However the 10' would be easier to maneuver I believe. No distances here- small lakes and floating the river.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The difference in these 2 is only 10 lbs. I think the extra length may come in handy and the weight capacity is 50lbs higher.

However the 10' would be easier to maneuver I believe. No distances here- small lakes and floating the river.

Unless you're doing tight rivers with Class III rapids, a 12' is going to be just as maneuverable as a 10' and track much, much better.

The number of times I have wished I had a 12' kayak vs a 10' kayak have far outweighed the inverse.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Unless you're doing tight rivers with Class III rapids, a 12' is going to be just as maneuverable as a 10' and track much, much better.

The number of times I have wished I had a 12' kayak vs a 10' kayak have far outweighed the inverse.

Sage wisdom right there. I can take my Ride 135 (13.5') down the Antietam and Cono just fine. They will both track and the 10' will not be much more maneuverable. It is just has a lower wide to length ratio making it somewhat slower.

If you are doing tight turns you want a kayak with no defined bow or stern that will not track very well. Neither of those really meet that requirement. The 10' probably uses less plastic so it costs less and why people buy it.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Sage wisdom right there. I can take my Ride 135 (13.5') down the Antietam and Cono just fine. They will both track and the 10' will not be much more maneuverable. It is just has a lower wide to length ratio making it somewhat slower.

If you are doing tight turns you want a kayak with no defined bow or stern that will not track very well. Neither of those really meet that requirement. The 10' probably uses less plastic so it costs less and why people buy it.

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go with the pescador pro 120 for myself and 100 for her. Unless she wants a sit in, then probably a perception sound 10.5.

Gonna check them out this weekend and see how I feel about them in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom