• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I am going to be applying for my C&R license soon and have a question. I am a NJ resident but spend most of my time in PA and keep my guns in PA. Does anybody know if I am allowed to put down my PA address under "applicant's address" and my NJ address under "mailing address" ?
    Thanks

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I am a college student which is the reason I am not in NJ much. If I dont get an answer here I will call the ATF to see if what I want to do is legal.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    It does sound like a reasonable question. Especially with the student angle. I would go ahead and ask them.

My personal opinion though, they are going to say "wherever your legal residence is".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Clearly I'm missing something. Sounds like a reasonable question?

It is a reasonable question, but could also be construed as asking how to circumvent the laws. OP has the right idea when he says he will call ATF.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Then there is this from the atf
    "ATF Rul. 80-21
    [Status of ruling: Active]
    The Bureau has been asked to determine the State of residence of out-of-State college students
    for purposes of the Gun Control Act of 1968. “State of residence” is defined by regulation in 27
    C.F.R. 178.11 as the State in which an individual regularly resides or maintains a home. The
    regulation also provides an example of an individual who maintains a home in State X and a
    home in State Y. The individual regularly resides in State X except for the summer months and
    in State Y for the summer months of the year. The regulation states that during the time the
    individual actually resides in State X he is a resident of State X, and during the time he actually
    resides in State Y he is a resident of State Y.
    Applying the above example to out-of- State college studentsit is held, that during the time the
    students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location they are considered
    residents of the State where the dormitory or off-campus home is located. During the time outof-State college students actually reside in their home State they are considered residents of their
    home State."

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty sure if he wanted to get around the law he'd just go buy a gun in an alleyway or something. There's nothing wrong with asking a question. If the answer is no, just tell him no instead of acting like everyone who participates in the thread is going to get no-knock-raided in the middle of the night.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    For the OP:

Remember that anything purchased on the C&R must go to the address on the C&R. If you put where you are living while in school. That's where they go. I would still ask them and see, even though you are in school in PA, if you can put you NJ address on there.

I mean, unless you have a house or apartment in PA where you can keep things secure. I don't think I would consider a dorm room "secure".

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    monsternav: the OP gives a third location: College Park MD, he's in college in MD, not PA or NJ ... he specifically is asking about circumventing NJ law ... a forum violation on MDShooters

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    To be clear. I go to school at UMD, I am an NJ resident and live in NJ in the winter, my parents have a house in PA and I spend the summer in PA.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    monsternav: the OP gives a third location: College Park MD, he's in college in MD, not PA or NJ ... he specifically is asking about circumventing NJ law ... a forum violation on MDShooters

No, he isn't. He's asking "would it be okay if..."

I'm pretty sure there's a certain intent that comes along with those rules, and I'm also sure if the mods think he's out of line they'll take appropriate action. Someone who is trying "get around the law" isn't going to bother asking if it's legal to do something. He's asking specifically because he wishes to stay within the law. Besides, we "get around" Maryland law by buying 30rd mags in other states all the time. How come I never see people crying about "forum rules" whenever someone asks if it's okay to bring 30rd mags into the state?

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    My intent is to stay entirely within the law. That is why I am asking if what I want to do is legal rather than just doing it. I am currently in PA and will be until September.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How come I never see people crying about "forum rules" whenever someone asks if it's okay to bring 30rd mags into the state?

Simple, because it IS legal to bring them in.

It is not legal to have residence in 3 states to buy guns according to your whim of the day.

He KNOWS his residence is NJ, he KNOWS his residence is not PA or MD and he KNOWS NJ law.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My intent is to stay entirely within the law. That is why I am asking if what I want to do is legal rather than just doing it. I am currently in PA and will be until September.

The answer is you know the law and unlike MD's mag law, there is no legal work-around, sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom