• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I am planning on purchasing my first gun in the coming weeks and need to find a place to keep it. I live on the University of Maryland campus so I cannot legally store it in my apartment or even have any firearm on campus/in my apartment. Are there any off-site storage places in the College Park area? I have seen that Gilberts does it but have not found any others.
    Thanks

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I know this isn't ideal, but - do you have a car? If so, are there any fold-down seats or other places it might be possible to hide a long gun from a thief? Obviously, it would be lost if the vehicle was stolen, but it might offer some protection against 98% of simple break-ins.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    Is it legal to store a firearm in a safety deposit box ?
    I've seen guns in safe deposit boxes in countless movies...;)

But (and IANAL...), unless you have CCW permit, it would seem to be illegal for you transport it to the bank -- not to mention the issues surrounding carrying a weapon into a bank!!

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    My car is also parked in a parking garage on campus. From what I have looked up it is illegal for me to bring any firearm at all onto campus because it is government property and I am unsure if a college counts as a school.
    What I will be getting is an antique pre-1899 M39.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I know this isn't ideal, but - do you have a car? If so, are there any fold-down seats or other places it might be possible to hide a long gun from a thief? Obviously, it would be lost if the vehicle was stolen, but it might offer some protection against 98% of simple break-ins.

If he drove the car with the gun in it, and was not headed to the range or place he can legally have the gun, would that violate MD law? I thought you had to be on your way to one of the 2 places I mentioned, but I may be mistaken?

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    maybe a public storage unit? I advise to call them, or places like them, about storing gun(s)

If you cant find a spot, keep in mind that On Target in Severn rents guns by the hour. You can still shoot at the range :) You may want to even shoot a few before you decide what to buy

Last edited:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    One old gun? I'd just get one of the bags the fold up chairs come in, field strip the gun and put the parts in the bag. Maybe get a shipping tube or some cardboard to put in it so it doesn't look too odd. Keep your ammo in the car and your mouth shut.

Another option is a walk in storage unit but they get expensive quickly.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    When I was checking on local ranges, I seem to recall that some would store guns for members...??

Probably an expensive solution, unless you're already a member...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I believe MD does let you have nonreg firearms in your car. It's regulated firearms that can only be transported between places you can legally have them. The issue with that is then he would not be able to have his car on campus.

When I was checking on local ranges, I seem to recall that some would store guns for members...??

Probably an expensive solution, unless you're already a member...

He's one of my guys (UMD R&P Club), so I suggested that he find a friend who lives off campus that he trusts. I know of people who have others store guns for them off campus. They usually have it in a secure hard case chained to a bed.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not sure if its being an antique changes things any. Also, removing and storing the bolt elsewhere keeps it from being a Dangerous Weapon, it seems to me.

Of course, that makes sense, so it won't wash on a college campus.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    Might want to check with some of the local gun clubs or even indoor ranges to see if they will offer storage.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Is it worth it to buy a gun and not be able to keep it?
    The added expense and Headache seems like it would t be worth it...
    You are always responsible for your weapon weather in your possession or not.
    Just rent and borrow until you graduate.... Just my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom