• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not to be THAT GUY, but why move if you're going to stay in Maryland. How much farther is it if you were to move into PA?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Not to be THAT GUY, but why move if you're going to stay in Maryland. How much farther is it if you were to move into PA?

Where we are looking it is an hour drive or less for my parents. I am trying to keep it at that point. Not only that, but I have clients in MoCo, HoCo, Anne Arundel, PG, Frederick, Washington, and Baltimore County. Used to have a couple in Harford. Even ave a couple in Virginia. Only one client in PA. My wife also works in Eldersburg and she wants to stay around a 15 minute commute to Eldersburg.

Believe me, I thought about moving to PA. Looked at houses in PA. Not only did my wife shoot me down, but I came to my senses regarding how far I would have to drive to my parents and my clients. Same reason we did not buy in Gainesville, VA when we were looking to buy our first house 14 years ago. We would have been buying right by where my wife was working at the time, but my wife knew I would be miserable so far from my parents and siblings.

Long story to why we are not looking in PA, Texas, Kentucky, etc.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    HOA = Association pays to fight the code violator
    Covenant = YOU pay to fight the code violator

If no one complains about what you do (HOA/Cov), you’re good to go.:thumbsup:

I represent a couple of HOA's, so I know how it works. Also lived in a townhouse subject to an HOA. The guessing game is what bugs me.

If the cops never convict you for murder, you are good to go.

Wish I had a crystal ball. Wish I knew whether somebody would have a stroke over my firewood stacks, repairing my truck in the driveway, building another garage, building a shed, storing a boat outside, etc.

Think I would prefer it like I have it right now. No HOA and no restrictive covenants.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You missed the houses directly across the street from me (one acre) and directly behind me (three acres) by about three months. Both sold for $550K. The one across the street originally sold for $650K at the peak of the last bubble. Really nice home. I'm looking at Zillow and nothing for sale right now. Will PM you if any for sale signs go up. Houses here sell quickly, typically in a week or two.

Yeah, please shoot me a PM. I have been watching the western Carroll County area, but this is starting to get painful.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Make a move Fabs. Our (yours and mine) situation has been going on forever.

I grew up in western Baltimore County semi rural farmland. Baltimore County Howard County area,Woodstock. Parents or neighbors never locked the houses or cars.
    The area and people changed.
    After marriage, and kids were on the way moved to Northeast Caroll County. Sure, it was a setback with work and commute but I believe it was the rite decision.
    Didn't lock doors on the home or cars for 22 years here in Carroll County.
    Now we lock up because of some problems. Drug addicts and new arrivals to the area. I'd say we are still are pretty safe here.

Our kids are older ( finishing college) and I can see my wife and I making another move in the future. I'd prefer more acres and a shooting range in my front yard.

I believe remembering some of your previous posts that your parents moved to America from Italy. I'm assuming they did that for a better life for their kids.

Hopefully your decision works out well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Fabs, I've been to his place. About a mile from me. Nice neighborhood.

I have been instructed by my better half that said area is out of the question because the kids have to attend 2 different elementary schools. Our 9 year old would be going to a different elementary school than our 5 year old next year, and that is out of the question. We want both of them to get on the bus together for the two years that they will be in elementary school together and we want the 9 year old to show his sister the ropes and look out for her.

My wife cannot wrap her head around Parrs Ridge Elementary and Mount Airy Elementary. Truthfully, I am having a hard time understanding it too. If it wasn't for that issue, there are a decent amount of homes I would be interested in in that area.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Opposite here. I've used Area Refuse for about a decade, since Long Refuse went away. No problems whatsoever.
    Same here, and will haul just about anything, except major demo stuff. They also response quickly if they miss you, and they've only missed us once in 10 years.

Everyone has saved me lots of typing on this phone.

Good area. We choose just south of Taylorsville on rt27. I can look across the street and watch a combine harvest and see my neighbor ride his atv with an AR15 on yote patrol.

We put kids through the middle and high school at south Carroll. Not bad schools. My wife had to set the principles straight a couple times, no biggie.

I would have picked Winfield, but the market was dead for existing houses when we were shopping.

Sykesville has built a golden mile which is convenient. Home Depot, and everything else. Lots of eats. Captain Dans for crabs, and Winfield Inn has some good vittles.

Come on out!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Parrs Ridge is K-2
    Mt Airy is 3-5

The Board of Education of Carroll County will hold a work session on parameters for redistricting and school closure on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. at the Board offices, located at 125 North Court Street in Westminster. There will be no time for citizen participation at this meeting. The public is encouraged to attend.
    The work session will be broadcast live on Channel 21 and streamed live on the Carroll County Public Schools website at www.carrollk12.org. Click on CETV under News and Media at the bottom of the home page or go directly to: https://www.carrollk12.org/admin/commedia/cetv/Pages/CCPS-CETV-Webstreaming.aspx.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I have been instructed by my better half that said area is out of the question because the kids have to attend 2 different elementary schools. Our 9 year old would be going to a different elementary school than our 5 year old next year, and that is out of the question. We want both of them to get on the bus together for the two years that they will be in elementary school together and we want the 9 year old to show his sister the ropes and look out for her.

My wife cannot wrap her head around Parrs Ridge Elementary and Mount Airy Elementary. Truthfully, I am having a hard time understanding it too. If it wasn't for that issue, there are a decent amount of homes I would be interested in in that area.

Just so you know, they would still ride the same bus. The bus drops them off at the appropriate school, which are basically next to each other.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just so you know, they would still ride the same bus. The bus drops them off at the appropriate school, which are basically next to each other.

Next time you are over, I'll have you explain this to my wife. lol

Now, I am trying to figure out how I can afford to buy a lot and build a house on it. This stuff in Maryland is just ridiculous.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What's your budget? If below $500K, I think you'll have to look in northern Carroll County or else Washington County. There's a major influx of new people into the state. Nice houses on acreage within reasonable driving distance to the Balt-DC corridor are relatively rare and priced accordingly.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What's your budget? If below $500K, I think you'll have to look in northern Carroll County or else Washington County. There's a major influx of new people into the state. Nice houses on acreage within reasonable driving distance to the Balt-DC corridor are relatively rare and priced accordingly.

$800k. Might be able to stretch to $850k. Ideally, I would like to stay around $700 to $750k. We were going to offer $700k on one of the houses we looked at, until we saw the restrictive covenants.

Only thing worse than buying a car is buying a house. The last car purchase only took me a week. Took us 3 years to find the house we are in right now. Hoping we get lucky over the spring/summer.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Very good. Southern CC is no problem then. Be patient and keep looking. That budget can get you a nice house on 5-20 acres in the county.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

That's cool,, I didn't know that, but it makes since.. Gotta love CC

Carroll County has its own Gangsta Rap song...

Audio NSFW...... I had to add pic to be able to use YT. Pics are safe.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Next time you are over, I'll have you explain this to my wife. lol

Now, I am trying to figure out how I can afford to buy a lot and build a house on it. This stuff in Maryland is just ridiculous.

That is what I did. Don't make the mistake I did,, I bought the lot first. It ended up getting rolled into the construction loan if you buy it first and that will cost more money. Design or pick a house that you may want to build before you buy the lot. It is way cheaper in the long run.

Never thought I could work out the costs, but I made out. I bought my own appliances, Wired the house after taking the CC homeowner test, All my hardwood floors.. I saved a ton, and paid myself out of the construction loan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom