• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Hey guys -

Received my renewal today - about 40 days from submitting the renewal app. Interestingly enough, the new permit expires in 2020 instead of 3 years out as renewals are supposed to.

Looks like i need to contact the LD folks and see what happened.

Everything else was straightforward.
    Idiots. They have done the same thing with my QHIC. I won't renew I will sue. F them.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    If they are asking you to meet with them in person for an interview. Tell them no. If they f with you i will pay for your permit.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Hey guys -

Received my renewal today - about 40 days from submitting the renewal app. Interestingly enough, the new permit expires in 2020 instead of 3 years out as renewals are supposed to.

Looks like i need to contact the LD folks and see what happened.

Everything else was straightforward.

Resolved! It is already handled. I spoke to a nice officer this am and she checked it out. New expiration date permit will be issued and mailed out.

Pizza_man

FNG
    Feb 6, 2018
    Frederick, MD
    Anyone have any experiences with CCW for a business owner/bar owner that operates late night? Perhaps a business owner also with a liquor license? Slowly building my case just looking for any wise words from someone already gone through.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Anyone have any experiences with CCW for a business owner/bar owner that operates late night? Perhaps a business owner also with a liquor license? Slowly building my case just looking for any wise words from someone already gone through.

Best thing to do it listen to the recordings of the HPRB hearings.

Otherwise, apply as the directions say to and if you have a particular question ask then. You have said enough here, that you should be found Permit Worthy.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I'm filing for judicial review of my HPRB denial in Baltimore City Circuit Court this week. :mad54:

Going pro se. Don't have the cake to pay $400/hour.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    As a business owner, you can currently carry in your place of business, and are legal to transport it to and from. The way most licensees are restricted, you wouldn't be able to carry anywhere else unless you had a reason... Maybe bank, but that's about it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pizza_man

FNG
    Feb 6, 2018
    Frederick, MD
    As a business owner, you can currently carry in your place of business, and are legal to transport it to and from. The way most licensees are restricted, you wouldn't be able to carry anywhere else unless you had a reason... Maybe bank, but that's about it...

I assumed I would qualify for a 'restricted permit' but as a restaurant/bar owner I could argue I am always working. Not sure how restrictive it would be. Thanks for info though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    I assumed I would qualify for a 'restricted permit' but as a restaurant/bar owner I could argue I am always working. Not sure how restrictive it would be. Thanks for info though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The way it was explained to me in my interview, the 'always working' argument doesn't go very far. You can't carry in anticipation of a work need, you have to actually be demonstrably working. Appointment in the morning, then one in the afternoon? Sorry, can't carry in the interim as you walk around the inner harbor... Want to stop for food? Might have to go back home or to shop and unpack first. Cases where all of that is inconvenient? So sorry, tough luck.

You're carrying cash/checks? Are you on your way to the bank?

Not trying to be a downer... Just giving the gist as it was given to me.

I suppose that's what the HPRB is for.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The way it was explained to me in my interview, the 'always working' argument doesn't go very far. You can't carry in anticipation of a work need, you have to actually be demonstrably working. Appointment in the morning, then one in the afternoon? Sorry, can't carry in the interim as you walk around the inner harbor... Want to stop for food? Might have to go back home or to shop and unpack first. Cases where all of that is inconvenient? So sorry, tough luck.

You're carrying cash/checks? Are you on your way to the bank?

Not trying to be a downer... Just giving the gist as it was given to me.

I suppose that's what the HPRB is for.

And yet the MSP will testify, under oath I might add, that if you are going to a business meeting and the client cancels and you turn around you are still doing business. They have even gone so far as to testify that if you are thinking about doing business that you are doing business.

The MSP's testimony before the HPRB would have you think that the current business restrictions are so all encompassing that they might as well be issuing unrestricted permits.

I don't buy it, but that is their repeated testimony at the HPRB.

They vociferously argue against unrestricted permits but have yet to appeal a decision of the HPRB to overturn the decision of the Secretary to Circuit Court. Wonder why that is?

Oh, and by the way we know that the MSP reads these threads.

Whazzup fellas! :wave:

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    I finally received the MSP denial letter, as expected. Early in the process I was gung-ho about appealing to the review board, but now that I'm here I feel... deflated. With only a secret clearance and OPM data breach as a G&S, It's starting to sink-in that this has all just been a waste of time. I'll probably cut my losses here.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I finally received the MSP denial letter, as expected. Early in the process I was gung-ho about appealing to the review board, but now that I'm here I feel... deflated. With only a secret clearance and OPM data breach as a G&S, It's starting to sink-in that this has all just been a waste of time. I'll probably cut my losses here.

Why? It doesn't cost you anything but a couple of $$ to send your appeal to the HPRB certified mail and then a little bit of your time to go before the board.

Don't quit now, man. This process was set up for you to use, don't let that go to waste.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Received my new (first time) permit in today's mail. It was quite a process. Did not feel particularly adversarial, but did have to jump through a lot of hoops on the paperwork side, exposing state business documents, excerpts from tax returns, and so on. As expected, the permit is limited to "while conducting business as [the owner of two businesses]." Next stop is the HPRB to attempt to lift those restrictions, out of fear that there's too much vagueness there for someone who is on call 24x7. Haven't yet really dug into what I'll need to do to prepare for such a hearing, but given the time and energy I've already put into this, I'm going full steam ahead on principle.

All of my interactions with MSP were friendly and professional. The only misery came while interacting with the SDAT office in Baltimore (over quickly procuring good standing certificates - which should be an easy thing, and went sideways, in an office where most of the employees truly seem to be just phoning it in, and resent having to actually do anything). By contrast the MSP folks were polite and helpful, and no friction beyond the clarifying request for more paperwork.

Note: this sure as hell ain't me gloating about this - I feel terrible for all of those right-minded people who can't make this happen because of the capricious nature of the state's position on this. It's maddening, for sure. Now I just need to figure out where I stand while driving in Virginia (I seem to be reading mixed messages on that front), and what steps to take in DC and PA, if any. Good luck to all going down this road (well, up this hill, actually).

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Received my new (first time) permit in today's mail. It was quite a process. Did not feel particularly adversarial, but did have to jump through a lot of hoops on the paperwork side, exposing state business documents, excerpts from tax returns, and so on. As expected, the permit is limited to "while conducting business as [the owner of two businesses]." Next stop is the HPRB to attempt to lift those restrictions, out of fear that there's too much vagueness there for someone who is on call 24x7. Haven't yet really dug into what I'll need to do to prepare for such a hearing, but given the time and energy I've already put into this, I'm going full steam ahead on principle.

All of my interactions with MSP were friendly and professional. The only misery came while interacting with the SDAT office in Baltimore (over quickly procuring good standing certificates - which should be an easy thing, and went sideways, in an office where most of the employees truly seem to be just phoning it in, and resent having to actually do anything). By contrast the MSP folks were polite and helpful, and no friction beyond the clarifying request for more paperwork.

Note: this sure as hell ain't me gloating about this - I feel terrible for all of those right-minded people who can't make this happen because of the capricious nature of the state's position on this. It's maddening, for sure. Now I just need to figure out where I stand while driving in Virginia (I seem to be reading mixed messages on that front), and what steps to take in DC and PA, if any. Good luck to all going down this road (well, up this hill, actually).

Lots of CC holders feel horrible for the way the system is and the way Maryland citizens are asked to trust our Government and they don't trust us with the right to bear arms .

I stand on the front line trying to get some movement for my brothers and sisters in Maryland .
    Change comes with fighting for our rights and banning together and walk the pavements in Annapolis .
    It takes us all and I will never shut my big mouth about my rights , I understand peoples wanting to give up but make no mistake the system is set up that way .
    They Want You To Walk Away , that is why they do what they do .

mferrari

May 3, 2010
    Eastern Shore

how long was the process for you? i turned everything the beginning of jan and have yet to hear anything other than my check clearing.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    how long was the process for you? i turned everything the beginning of jan and have yet to hear anything other than my check clearing.

Like you, other than my check clearing, the first sign of life was an email from a State Trooper looking to set up my face-to-face interview about 80 days into the process. We got together just a few days later. He spoke to my spouse that same day and talked to my references a few days later. About two weeks later, I got another email from a different Trooper, up in Pikesville - he needed to see more business records. I had the permit in hand about ten days after providing him that information.

Things are indeed VERY quiet right up until the tail end of that time window.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Now I just need to figure out where I stand while driving in Virginia (I seem to be reading mixed messages on that front), and what steps to take in DC and PA, if any. Good luck to all going down this road (well, up this hill, actually).

VA recognizes a MD permit.

DC is now Shall Issue and your 16 hour training should suffice for DC. You will need to take the DC law portion of training. If you are ever in DC or want to be it's well worth it.

Now that you have a MD permit you can get a PA non resident permit. Stupid easy. Go to the York or Adams County Sherrif's office website, download the application, fill it out and mail it. In about 4-5 days you will get an email to come up and get your permit.

Congrats!

mferrari

May 3, 2010
    Eastern Shore
    Like you, other than my check clearing, the first sign of life was an email from a State Trooper looking to set up my face-to-face interview about 80 days into the process. We got together just a few days later. He spoke to my spouse that same day and talked to my references a few days later. About two weeks later, I got another email from a different Trooper, up in Pikesville - he needed to see more business records. I had the permit in hand about ten days after providing him that information.

Things are indeed VERY quiet right up until the tail end of that time window.

Cool deal, thanks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    VA recognizes a MD permit.

DC is now Shall Issue and your 16 hour training should suffice for DC. You will need to take the DC law portion of training. If you are ever in DC or want to be it's well worth it.

Now that you have a MD permit you can get a PA non resident permit. Stupid easy. Go to the York or Adams County Sherrif's office website, download the application, fill it out and mail it. In about 4-5 days you will get an email to come up and get your permit.

Congrats!

Thanks! Will get cracking on PA, and since I'm just a few miles outside of DC, it's no doubt worth grinding through that, too. I appreciate the succinct info. So ... Virginia is, in practical terms, just a piece of Maryland on the other side of the river? Do I need to keep my (hopefully temporary) MD restrictions in mind in VA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom