• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I have an old Marlin Model 88 built somewhere between 1949-1952 I believe because it is pre microgroove.
    I have been having some feed problems with it. When I first got the rifle from my grandfather it had not been shot since 1956. I cleaned it up and ran 325rd of federal hollow point through it from the peanut can. This stuff ran decently with an occasionally feeding problem on the first round. I found if I pulled the charging handle back quickly and let it go it would work almost every time. If I slowly pulled it back and released it with some speed but slowed it a little bit with my hand it would fail to feed about 50% of the time
    Then I got some Remington Golden Bullet 525 value pack. It is loaded hotter than the federal and I have feeding issues on the first round about 75% of the time no matter what I do. I think this is due to this ammo having a more prominent hollow point.
    Then at the range this past Saturday a nice guy noticed my problems and gave me some CCI Round nose and it seemed to feed perfectly for the ~30rds I put through it. When charging it felt much smoother too. The guy said that my rifle wasnt designed for hollow points and that the round nose should work fine and it did.
    Does it make sense that my rifle wasnt designed for hollow points? If so I have a 'choot 'em CCI box to trade for the equivalent round nose.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    lots of people have problems with rem golden bullets.

always let the charging handle operate on its own, never ride it home with your hand.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I have cleaned it very thoroughly multiple times.
    When I dont ride the charging handle home I have to pull it back as quick as I can and release it. If I pull it back slowly then release it it will fail to feed properly 90% of the time.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Let the charging handle fly and try some CCi round nose. In my experience, Golden Bullets are horrible. In my Marlins, they have feed and ignition failures. They also don't group terribly great. However, if I THROW golden bullets, I have 100% reliability feeding and at least 3MOA at 50yds.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    IIRC golden bullet had a waxy covering on the bullets, which could cause just enough friction to slow it down when the cartridge is loading. Take a look at the bullet nose when you have a FTF and if the hollow point bullet nose is scarred you know that is the problem. Cleaning thoroughly could also help.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    The hollow point is always scarred pretty well. I have found golden bullet to be very dirt also. Im going to switch to some mini mags and see if they help at all.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I realize the issue is only an occasional problem for you, but here's another possibility for the cause.

Take a look at the bolt face. Note where the firing pin is, and then carefully inspect the breech face of the barrel in the area where the firing pin meets the breech when the bolt is forward and in contact with the breech face.

What you're looking for is peening or spalling (a hammered appearance and distortion of the metal) on the edge where the rear of the breech meets the chamber wall.

I suggest this because modern 22 firearms generally can be safely dry-fired. Most makers these days engineer into the bolt/firing pin a travel limit to prevent the firing pin striking the breech face.

On most older 22s though, the firing pin will contact the breech face when dry-fired. Over years of doing this, the softer breech face deforms from the repeated impacts of the hardened firing pin, causing the metal to expand into the chamber. Often there's also a bur of steel that forms, which can prevent smooth feeding and/or extraction.

Happily, though, there is a really inexpensive tool ("chamber ironing tool") you can buy to reform the chamber. You can also have a gunsmith reform the chamber for you, but that service will cost more than the tool will. Check Brownell's or Midway for the tool.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look at the edge of the chamber where the firing pin would hit.

The FP may be hard enough to not peen, but the chamber area might be softer.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I just looked at the chamber and it looks just fine. I think it has to do with the deeper hollow point of the golden bullet than others.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I wont be able to check for probably another week. I am going to compare the golden bullet to bulk CCI 'choot 'em hollow point stuff and see what works better. If it does I will compare that to normal round nose if I can find a box.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    when the .22 is unloaded and you try to charge the gun, does it feel relatively easy to pull the bolt back or does it seem like its binding? also check the feed tube and see if it might be gummed up on the end, after many years of use you might have the rest of the gun clean but the feed tube is dirty...just a thought if its not ammo related.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I shot some CCI Swamp People through it today. It ran perfectly . I guess the problem was the remington. From now on only CCI.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option A - complete detail strip , blueprint all surfaces , replace all springs.

Option B- shoot RN ammo .

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    The CCI were hollow point. I also noticed that the cci actually had a good crimp on the bullet while in the remington the bullet wobbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom