I didn't know about this famous revolver!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    SMITH-and-WESSON-Model-1917-Commercial-Postwar-Transitional_101183321_87823_1DCA5A14BB65D153.JPG

1917 45ACP

It was used in ww1, ww2, and Vietnam.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Also the revolver responsible for the introduction of the 45 Auto Rim cartridge, negating the need for moon clip usage in this revolver.

The cylinders are headspaced so that 45acp can be used with or without moonclips. Without the clips, cased have to be taken out manually. The headspacing was a S&W innovation. The early Colt 1917's were drilled straight through and could only be used with moonclips. They were refitted with new cylinders, and subsequent models have the ledge in the charge holes. Here's a photo of the Colt 1917. I don't have a photo of my S&W. It's really cool to shoot a piece of history.

Attachments

• 20191012_170238.jpg
      20191012_170238.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 622

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    "The headspacing was a S&W innovation"

Can you explain why it was an innovation?

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Prior to the Model of 1917, almost all revolvers used rimmed cartridges that headspace on the rim. S&W added a step in the cylinder chamber so the rimless .45 ACP could headspace on the case mouth. S&W also invented the half-moon clip which held three cartridges and is caught by the extractor star.

As mentioned above, the early Colt 1917 (New Service) did not have the stepped chamber. An old friend of mine had one. He loaded snake shot in .30-06 cases cut to the length of the cylinder and loaded in full moon clips.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The S&W and Colt 1917 revolvers were both excellent, heavy-duty and durable revolvers. Both served very well for their intended purposes. Each also had advantages over the other but such advantages were usually subjective at best. The grip shape of the Smith most considered more comfortable and many liked the trigger feel better. The Colt had better sights. There were some complaints about the S&W in the mud of trench warfare...the front locking lug would pack with mud thus jamming the ejector rod and made operation and opening the cylinder difficult if not impossible until the mud was cleared. The Colt with its open ejector rod didn't have this problem so many preferred it. Basically it comes down to personal preference...any soldier armed with either 1917 was well armed indeed.

My Colt 1917 (made a few months after WWI was over) as Colt ran out the contract...
    Colt-1917.jpg

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    SMITH-and-WESSON-Model-1917-Commercial-Postwar-Transitional_101183321_87823_1DCA5A14BB65D153.JPG

1917 45ACP

It was used in ww1, ww2, and Vietnam.

A good friend showed me his grandfather's issued WWI S&W 45. He was a young lieutenant just arriving in Europe when the armistice was signed. He was cavalry.

The gun he showed me had been stored in the attic of his farmhouse for years in a People's Drugstore plastic bag in its original issued leather holster. Not a speck of rust on it.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I bought a S&W 1917 as either my first or second center fire pistol, I don't remember if I bought it before or after I bought my first 1911, back in the late 1980's.
    I sold it a couple of years later to pay for a Browning BDM.
    It was not a collectable one as someone had filed the the "US Government" stamp off of the bottom the frame and it was missing the lanyard ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom