• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Ok. Got around to measuring (with a Whiden Gun Works shoulder bump tool) the amount of shoulder bump I had set on the die in relation to this rifles chamber.

It measured at 0.0055 repeatedly compared with numerous fired cases.

Obviously too much. I’m gonna roll it down to 0.002 shoulder bump and call it a day for this rifle’s setup. That should help with the excessive brass trimming. Thanks guys

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yea try to stick to .002 or .003 shoulder bump. If you push the shoulder back. 005 + you are over working the brass. Keep an eye out for "lines" towards the base of the brass. If you see some and can feel it with a finger nail, discard or you risk case head separation which is not fun.

Also after 3-5 firings double check that you are still in fact bumping .002, as the brass gets "worked" you can loose some of that spring back and could be outside that .002 shoulder bump.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...It measured at 0.0055 repeatedly compared with numerous fired cases...
    "Usually, excessive case stretch can be traced back to excessive full-length sizing."

That this rifle's chamber seems tighter than your other rifles means your current die setting would really cause issues with those others, IF headspace is why the fired cases are not interchangeable between rifles.

Again, don't confuse the die maker's goals with yours.
    Yea try to stick to .002 or .003 shoulder bump. If you push the shoulder back. 005 + you are over working the brass. Keep an eye out for "lines" towards the base of the brass. If you see some and can feel it with a finger nail, discard or you risk case head separation which is not fun.

Also after 3-5 firings double check that you are still in fact bumping .002, as the brass gets "worked" you can loose some of that spring back and could be outside that .002 shoulder bump.
    Very good advice.

Work-hardening brass IS a thing. If you find this loss of elasticity happening, it's time to anneal the neck/shoulder area.

In practice, most people kill their brass with their sizing die long before it work-hardens.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    I’m going to do a little more research with the 308s I own and determine the current headspace for each. The other two, I have been loading for for years with normal trimming required every 4-5 firings, but I’ve long since forgot what I set the die to. I say I think this chamber is tighter because fired cases from the others will not chamber in this gun, but as said before, it may be another dimension other than the shoulder that is causing that. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom