• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    Hi guys, first time poster. I just purchased my first rifle for PRS and hunting, and need to get the scope mounted and bore sighted.

Got my rifle, scope and rings, and looking for the best place in Montgomery county that’ll do it accurately and right the first time.

Any recommendations?

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Tbh, if you are mounting a scope, its worth learning and getting the tools to do it yourself as you'll need to disassemble everything and dry it off after it gets wet from rain. What rings and scope are you using? I have the tools to lap 34mm rings i can help with, but I honestly dont lap most of my rings and they dont get marks on the scope. I would recommend getting at torque screwdriver as you'll need it for a lot of things.

To sight it the rifle, depending on what it is, you'll probably want to zero it at 100 yards. That typically means you are leaving MoCo.

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    Thanks for the tip swaim, and I’d for sure appreciate the help if you’re offering. Not opposed to doing it myself, I just wanted to avoid spending more $$$ on a FAT, gun vice, etc.

Mounting a 34mm body vortex scope with 34mm precision vortex rings.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    As swaim says, don't bother lapping premium rings mounted to a quality base. I've never had to mess with ARC, badger, or seekins rings (vortex pmr are a seekins rebrand). Definitely suggest doing it yourself. As for live fire, you will be driving at least to Frederick or carroll county.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Buying a FAT wrench or another in-lbs torque wrench is a good investment as this way you can disassemble and reassemble back to exactly how you had it and you won't over torque the screws (especially important with the top of your rings which have a torque setting of 15 in-lbs)

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the scope needs to be set for you. If its a 34mm Vortex scope, I am guessing its the strike eagle or the Razor. Both should have diopter adjustments and the eyebox should be set for you. There are multiple schools of thought with how to level the scope as well.

I can help with mounting and sight in, but it wouldnt be for a few weeks. You would also need to come up to Hap Baker. I am sure others can help as well if you want to get it done sooner or closer.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    You will eventually find yourself in need of these tools, so it doesn't hurt to start researching and purchasing what you need. Happy to assist you with setting up your rifle in the meantime.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You don’t need gun vise to level a scope. As long as you can set the rifle somewhere, you can level it. Index cards or sheets of paper can be used to bring the rifle to level.

I tape a flashlight to the objective lens to project a giant image of the reticle onto the wall. I place a plum line against the wall and turn the scope until the reticle is parallel to the shadow of the plum line. A ruler is useful as well to measure how far off parallel it is.

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    I tape a flashlight to the objective lens to project a giant image of the reticle onto the wall. I place a plum line against the wall and turn the scope until the reticle is parallel to the shadow of the plum line. A ruler is useful as well to measure how far off parallel it is.

I wish that I had thought of this sooner... getting a new rifle in next week and will definitely try this!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Something else you can do when zeroing a rifle is to determine exactly how high the optics are above the bore. Determine if the line of sight is parallel to the bore.
    Draw two, small targets, one directly above the other with horizontal lines through the center of both aiming points the same distance as your optics are high keeping them square to each other at either end.
    Fire two maybe three shots at about 12-15 yards at the top dot center from a rest.
    Then go over and see how high above or below the bottom line your shots have landed.
    At this time, you will then know if the bullet quits the muzzle on an upward node, a neutral phase or during a downward movement.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I do not know if they have any wait time, but you can always check out Engage Armament to boresite your rifle.

Whenever I am bore sighting a bolt action or any other gun where I can remove the bolt and look through the chamber into the barrel, I will set the gun up in some sand bags or something, look through the barrel and line it up on the target and then look through the scope and turn the dials until it is centered on the target, and then look back through the barrel to make sure it didn’t move too much. This will typically get you on paper.

Check out Cresap Rifle Club if you are looking for somewhere to shoot out your rifle out to 100yards. We have a single 25 yard sight in bench to help you get on paper, and then each of our regular rifle lanes has a 50 and 100yard target. We are only open 10-3 on Sundays, and are cash only. I will be up there all day this upcoming a Sunday, and would be glad to help you get dialed in.

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    Aw man, what an awesome forum! Thanks for the info and insight guys, and googling videos of the flashlight method as we speak.

And let me also say - you guys are bad influences. Just bought a handful of items (levels, FAT screw drivers, etc) from Amazon, and gonna try this myself.

Will circle back for guidance as needed.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Aw man, what an awesome forum! Thanks for the info and insight guys, and googling videos of the flashlight method as we speak.

And let me also say - you guys are bad influences. Just bought a handful of items (levels, FAT screw drivers, etc) from Amazon, and gonna try this myself.

Will circle back for guidance as needed.

One thing I would strongly recommend you buy is a bubble level. They arent expensive (40) and will help make sure the rifle isnt canted while you are shooting. Google Vortex 34 mm bubble level to see what I am saying. The FAT is a good tool. The other levels and other stuff you wont fully need.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You don't need a 100 yard range to set a 100 yard zero.

You just have to know the proper offset at, say, 25 yards.

Use a ballistics calculator. If the data for a 100 yard zero is say 0.25 inches low a 25 yards, just set the scope and rifle to deliver this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Whenever I am bore sighting a bolt action or any other gun where I can remove the bolt and look through the chamber into the barrel, I will set the gun up in some sand bags or something, look through the barrel and line it up on the target and then look through the scope and turn the dials until it is centered on the target, and then look back through the barrel to make sure it didn’t move too much. This will typically get you on paper.

Yep.

And you only need 3 to 5 rounds to zero.

1. Boresight as described above.

2. Fire one round at 25 yards.

3. Supporting rifle with bags or vise, set rifle to center reticle at aim point for the shot.

4. Without moving the rifle, adjust the turrets until the reticle is now centered on the bullet hole. For extra credit, adjust the reticle to be aimed about 1/4 inch above the bullet hole.

5. If you wish, fire one more round at 25 yards. The round should hit either at point of aim or 1/4" below the point of aim, depending on how you did Step 4. You can repeat Step 4 to fine tune the point of impact.

6. Fire one round at 100 yards. Repeat Step 4 if required. If you did it well the first time, you should be dead on.

7. If you repeated Step 4 at 100 yards, fire one round for confirmation.

Enjoy

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There’s an easier way than using levels and flashlights.

$28 and you can do it with the rifle sitting on your lap. Ok, maybe not on your lap, but easy. :D

https://arisakadefense.com/optic-leveler-small/

Assuming you want to level the scope to the rifle.

The important thing is that the reticle be square with the world when you shoot.

Depending on how you hold the rifle and your shoulder pocket, the rifle may be canted when you shoot.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Assuming you want to level the scope to the rifle.

The important thing is that the reticle be square with the world when you shoot.

Depending on how you hold the rifle and your shoulder pocket, the rifle may be canted when you shoot.

:sad20: :sad20:

Therefore someone invented a bubble level to go on the rifle.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    :sad20: :sad20:

Therefore someone invented a bubble level to go on the rifle.

Reticles are not always square to the elevation flat or to the flat on the base of the scope.

Levels are not 100% precise either and it’s noticeable on most store bought levels. You need to flip the level around 180 degrees to make sure it’s off by the same amount both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom