• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    A "friend of a friend" asked me about selling his H&K Model 94 select-fire MP5.
    He's had it since mid-1980's. It has 3 factory magazines and 1 aftermarket mag. It also has an Assault Systems carry case.
    He says he fired 2 mags thru when he got it, and none since. He's a retired police detective. He has no internet access. Local gun store told him roughly 15-20K value.
    I have zip experience with NFA Class 3 items. I told him I would inquire here. Any thoughts or guidance you could share would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0706161401.jpg
      0706161401.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 998
    • 0706161401a.jpg
      0706161401a.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 897
    • 0706161411.jpg
      0706161411.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 891
    Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    A "friend of a friend" asked me about selling his H&K Model 94 select-fire MP5.
    He's had it since mid-1980's. It has 3 factory magazines and 1 aftermarket mag. It also has an Assault Systems carry case.
    He says he fired 2 mags thru when he got it, and none since. He's a retired police detective. He has no internet access. Local gun store told him roughly 15-20K value.
    I have zip experience with NFA Class 3 items. I told him I would inquire here. Any thoughts or guidance you could share would be appreciated.

Roughly double the lower end of the dealer estimate...

Retail price guide:
    http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_1.html

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I know a dealer in VA paying good money for MP5s . If your friend is looking to sell it pm me and I'll give you his info.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The HK94 and MP5 are mutually exclusive. One is semi auto and the other is select fire. If it is a converted HK94, value will greatly depend on who did the conversion, how it was done and current condition. If it is an MP5, it's most likely illegal since none (or at least VERY VERY few) were imported for civilian sales to my knowledge. IF, a big if, it is a true transferable MP5, then figure 40K plus. The guys over at HK pro are who you need to be talking to. There are some extremely knowledgeable guys over there.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Like Combloc said alot has to do with who did it and how it's done. Is it a sear gun? A push pin gun? Registered receiver? Is it a 4 position lower ? 3 lug barrel ? Marked as a mp5 or does it retain the hk94 markings? A2 or A3 stock? It all makes a difference on value. The 30k plus guns are quality pieces with all the goodies .the bare bones Ceiner sear guns are in the 20k range.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Oh I have been just don't see the 30k value in the sear by itself but that's just me. Most dealers aren't paying that for them at the moment either.I guess my opinion doesn't control the current market lol.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Youre looking right around 30k give or take *IF* it is a sear gun or a trigger pack gun from a reputable SOT.

Youre looking around 20k+ish if it is a single caliber registered receiver gun.

The reason for this is because you can use a sear or trigger pack on anything from a 94 to a 21 and everything in between as long as the host is set up for it.

The RR you are stuck with what you have.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Oh I have been just don't see the 30k value in the sear by itself but that's just me. Most dealers aren't paying that for them at the moment either.I guess my opinion doesn't control the current market lol.

Indeed. Sears were $25 mid last year. I saw a SP89 + sear sell in-person for $30 late last year and was a very good price (since a real SP89 is 6-7.) A Fleming sear sold for $26 on sturm just a few weeks ago in under 30min. Guys lined up to buy at that price. Its just the new reality. Dealers will always pay less - they have to make a profit. And deals can always be found if you are patient/lucky enough.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    As most here already know, it depends on whether it's a registered receiver or registered auto sear. The registered receivers go for about $10K less than the registered auto sears, as the sears/packs can be legally swapped from host-to-host on the whole HK9x series of firearms.

Simply look at the paperwork. Back then they allowed multiple calibers in the description and typically it will say "machinegun auto sear". If the paperwork is not immediatly available then pop the trigger pack off and see if any part within the pack is serialized. If there are no serialized parts within the pack then it's probably a registered receiver.

Let us know what you find. I'm sure some here would actually offer a fair price ;)

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD
    Trading-in firearms or selling them to the gun shop is not always a bad option, however this is NOT the time to do it as you can make yourself thousands more selling it outright. As posted above it depends if its a registered receiver or registered auto sear.

I would check out the auctions to come up with an exact price but it's likely he could get $30k+. This is assuming that based on the low round count, it's in premium shape. Get some really nice photos of the whole package and a decent description and it should sell.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Its a very basic gun. No 3 lug, No paddle mag release, And a basic not even a SEF lower. No A3 stock. Could very well be a Ceiner conversion. Looks to be in very nice shape from what I can see. I personally would believe Mid to upper 20s Max without those features. A friend had 1 no dealer would give him more than 24k It looks equally nice if not nicer. Had a 3 lug, Paddle mag. 4 position lower with 3 shot burst . A3 stock and re stamped. Sold it to another friend for 30k a bit more than a month ago. Features add dollars.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Great info and thanks all. Friend was my Bro-in-law, since passed away. My sister just got the BATF transfer papers back. She'll be looking to move it sometime. I'm going to see if she'll get more pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom