• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    I'm looking into buying a 9mm and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on any differences on a M17 or P320.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm looking into buying a 9mm and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on any differences on a M17 or P320.

They are almost the same firearm. The frame is about 3/4” shorter. The M17 has a manual safety, factory night sights and some raised tactical loaded chamber indicators IIRC. I’m not sure what the Retail price difference is but I’m guessing the only feature difference of practical value is the factory night sights. However some may feel more comfortable with a manual thumb safety as well.

rkouns2003

Jul 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I have both the M17 and the P320 sub compact. I have nothing bad to say about either but my M17 is my favorite handgun. I have close to 1000 rounds through it at this point. I just did a pistol red dot class with Green Ops with it. It has a Sig Romeo Pro 2 red dot on it. I don't think you would be disappointed in either.

Attachments

• 20200726_115543.jpg
      20200726_115543.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 333

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    Thanks for the replies! I was also wondering how feasible it would be to build one if I could source a FCU? I couldn't find much on google in the way of sourcing parts etc. like building an AR15.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    You sure could. I’ve seen FCUs, grips, mags, slides, etc. on gunbroker.com, Midwest, GrayGuns, as examples. Heck, if you went that route, you could be so much more selective.

FCUs, of course, would have to go through an FFL to buy.

But for other parts, you could get a Wilson Combat frame. Or you could get a slide directly from Sig with a red dot pre-installed, or X-frame, custom trigger, or..... I’m not suggesting that you go all out with expensive options like these, but that the sky is the limit for you - so to speak.

So, you have choices. Standard configuration, or something you built out yourself according to your liking.

You might want to start with a simple internet search like “P320 parts” - you’ll be very surprised at how many sources are available. There‘s no limit how much you can spend either.... :)

I wouldn't even know where to start lol. It probably wouldn't be any less expensive than buying a factory gun. I'm leaning towards a m17, I just need to find somewhere to rent one to shoot to test it.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I have both the M17 and the P320 sub compact. I have nothing bad to say about either but my M17 is my favorite handgun. I have close to 1000 rounds through it at this point. I just did a pistol red dot class with Green Ops with it. It has a Sig Romeo Pro 2 red dot on it. I don't think you would be disappointed in either.

That's a good looking Sig! :thumbsup:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the P320 Compact and it's a great gun but I wish it had the manual safety like the M17.

Last edited:

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    I have a 1911 so I'm used to a manual safety. Thats why I am leaning more towards a M17. I also don't qualify for a wear and carry so I dont need a M18.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    +1 for the Compact. I have owned the full size and the compact. Over the past couple of years, I sold off most of the FS components and kept the Compact. Fits my hand better, and I shoot it better.

I had the sub-compact components but sold them off. The compact feels "just right".

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    FCUs, of course, would have to go through an FFL to buy.

You can get an 80% FCU and a jig to finish it yourself. It's not that hard - probably comparable to finishing an AR lower - but definitely a bit more involved and time-consuming than a P80. By far the biggest challenge is finding a Sig caliber x-change kit to pair with it.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    You can get an 80% FCU and a jig to finish it yourself. It's not that hard - probably comparable to finishing an AR lower - but definitely a bit more involved and time-consuming than a P80. By far the biggest challenge is finding a Sig caliber x-change kit to pair with it.

I think there was a sig caliber kit at engage last time i was there, about a month ago.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    I think another difference between m17 and p320 is the optic ready slide, though I am not 100%, also you get the M17 printed on the slide behind P320

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom