• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Was resizing/decapping and bunch of 223/556 range pickups the other day and I would come to a complete stop on cases, particularly ones headstamped 1k 13. I shined it down with a flash light to look inside the case and I see a single, but smaller than usual flash hole.

Forcing it down a Lee universal decapper result in the pin sliding up (yes I have it set right) and any more force will bend the decapping pin. I've processed the rest of the mixed HS cases, but I'm winding up with a bunch of 1k 13 brass.

Anyone process this brass before? Perhaps there's an extremely durable aftermarket decapping pin that can expand the flash hole, making this brass serviceable. I don't want to see good brass binned to waste too easily. TIA!

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I know my 6.5CM Lapua SR Brass has a smaller flash hole and requires a smaller diameter decaying pin. I use a mighty armory universal decaying die with the smallest pin they make

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    .071 is considered a standard decapping pin diameter. RCBS makes small pins .057 diameter.

I use a Harvey deprimer and they sell standard and small diameter decapping pins.

Speer .357 SIG brass has small diameter flash holes, which I learned after bending several Lee decapping pins. Since I size that brass once with a .40 S&W carbide die and then neck size with a .357 SIG die, I use a small decapping pin in the .40 S&W die and a standard diameter decapping pin in the .357 SIG sizing die. Once done, I can use the standard decapping pin without concern about bending any more decapping pins.

At least it wasn't Berdan primed.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Been through this one with igman before. Fortunately the newer import stuff seems to all have bright pink primer sealant on it. Makes spotting it easier. Sort it out while decapping the others. Box up separately. Use redding or other BR (small pin) universal decap die. If you plan to reload it multiple times, I suggest reaming the darn flash holes to spec. If not, process as normal after that point.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I used a small drill bit that would just fit in a spec flash hole. I put the bit in a vise and twisted the brass on the bit...took no time to get one done...I no longer have to worry with it. Next time they get decapped a standard pin will fit.

I tried this out and it worked! chucked a drill bit on a hand drill long enough where it will get the flash hole started, then I would punch it out with the Lee decapping die and resized it as usual. Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom