• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Evans or Kontra and why?

I am curious on who I should vote for and I cannot find a lot of info on Kontra and I already know that I am not a fan of Evans. I have asked a few deputies and they have all been very evasive on answering on who they are standing behind (personally).
    I like what Kontra has to say about the department being too top heavy and on not treating traffic stops as the be all end all to crime prevention.
    I have not been able to find any information on how Kontra feels about 2A issues and if he will sign off on NFA/Class III/title II paperwork.
    One of my friends said he met Kontra and asked him about these issues and that Kontra would not answer his questions and kept changing the subject but, in all fairness the friend that asked the questions does not always have the best tact or timing. He may have asked in a way that could have came off as being a gotcha question or asked at an inappropriate time.

I have heard that Evans will sign paperwork for NFA/III/II with no problem and that he does not have any problems with 2A. I was disappointed that he did not join other Sheriffs whey they stood up and said they would not enforce SB281. I don't like that Evans main focus has always been centered around traffic enforcement and everything else a distant second. I also really don't like his good ol' boy way of doing things and protecting his chosen few special boys. Lots of complaints and mistakes get swept under the rug by him when it comes to his golden boys. It is not very encouraging to see that kind of behavior from our Chief LEO.

As you can see I am in no way shape or form a fan of Evans but, I do not know if Kontra will be any better or worse than Evans. I can begrudgingly pull the lever for Evans if Kontra is the worst choice between the two.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yep.. what you said. lol

what my coworker said.. vote kontra .

"too many dirt going under the carpet."

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    I'd also like to know his stance on 2A/NFA items.

I've run into Mike many times around town and at events (Gun Bash's, etc). Never had any problems with him, also had a conversation about NFA signoff and he stated it was no problem - just bring it by.

Curious to hear more about Kontra, I see the signs but I've never met him or heard any of his background/philosophy around law enforcement in general.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I don't know about Mike's bureaucratic idiosyncrasies, but his public persona is great. I have never met a public official so willing to help. Whether it was for church, Boy Scouts, school, sporting events, etc, Mike always answered the phone and always helped.

On a personal note, I appreciated the way he treated my mother before she died. Any Sheriff willing to stop by an ailing old lady's house while he was out on patrol, to offer a moment of comfort, is a Sheriff that understands what grass roots are. It would be a cold day before I voted him out.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Evans or Kontra and why?

I am curious on who I should vote for and I cannot find a lot of info on Kontra and I already know that I am not a fan of Evans. I have asked a few deputies and they have all been very evasive on answering on who they are standing behind (personally).

I am not a deputy, but I am a retired Trooper. Let me say that no police officer with any intelligence will tell anyone who they support in any election. Every police officer/agency who has done that in the past has been burnt and paid the price at one level or another. Better for them to just do their job and salute those elected officials than to politic against anyone. Don't fault them for that.

I like what Kontra has to say about the department being too top heavy and on not treating traffic stops as the be all end all to crime prevention.

With crime being down near 30 percent over the past decade or so in Calvert county, the Sheriff must be doing something right. Kontra thinks that more deputies need to be in communities. Can't argue with that, but Deputies are in the communities and their visibility is what is driving down crime. Never heard anything about traffic stops being the be all and end all in Calvert county, but something must be working to drive down crime.

I have not been able to find any information on how Kontra feels about 2A issues and if he will sign off on NFA/Class III/title II paperwork.
    One of my friends said he met Kontra and asked him about these issues and that Kontra would not answer his questions and kept changing the subject but, in all fairness the friend that asked the questions does not always have the best tact or timing. He may have asked in a way that could have came off as being a gotcha question or asked at an inappropriate time.

I have heard that Evans will sign paperwork for NFA/III/II with no problem and that he does not have any problems with 2A. I was disappointed that he did not join other Sheriffs whey they stood up and said they would not enforce SB281.

Sheriff Evans is a strong supporter of 2A issues, and in fact was in Annapolis when several of the State's Sheriff's testified against SB281. Sheriff Mike Lewis was the most visible, and perhaps stated their case better than anyone else, but Sheriff Evans was with him when he testified. As a result of that, MOM has attempted to penalize every Sheriff who attended that testimony or stood out in any way against it, in any way he could. For Calvert county, it was at his direction (whether or not anyone else took the blame) that all the Troopers who were assigned to the Calvert Investigative Team were transferred to other assignments. This broke up a unit that had one of the highest criminal closure rates in the state. That left the unit seriously understaffed, but the Sheriff responded and with the help of the county commissioners have almost returned the staffing levels to where they were. The investigators may not have the experience that the Troopers who left had, but the Sheriff has responded to a less than ideal situation in a very positive way.

I don't like that Evans main focus has always been centered around traffic enforcement and everything else a distant second. I also really don't like his good ol' boy way of doing things and protecting his chosen few special boys. Lots of complaints and mistakes get swept under the rug by him when it comes to his golden boys. It is not very encouraging to see that kind of behavior from our Chief LEO.

As you can see I am in no way shape or form a fan of Evans but, I do not know if Kontra will be any better or worse than Evans. I can begrudgingly pull the lever for Evans if Kontra is the worst choice between the two.

The increase in traffic enforcement is what puts deputies in the communities and their visibility is what is driving down crime. With the Sheriff's support of the Criminal investigative Team, which is now their Criminal Investigative Bureau, I don't see how it is a traffic only department. Can you please provide some examples of the good ol' boy way? Or about some of the things getting swept under the rug? Not trying to start an argument, but making an allegation without an example is just mud slinging.

You may not like the guy personally, but with all the positives I think Sheriff Evans is doing a pretty good job. All politics are local, and for the vast majority of the people I know life in Calvert County is pretty good. I'm sure some people have been pissed off by a deputy, especially those who have received tickets, but I have never known Sheriff Evans to not answer or return my phone calls. For that matter, I have told numerous individuals who had a problem with some aspect of the Sheriff's office to call him personally or stop in and talk to him. Every person I have suggested that to has been more than satisfied with Sheriff Evans. They may not have received the answer they wanted, but they did actually talk to him instead of someone else. That, along with his very strong 2A support is more than enough for me.

Just my .02 cents.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Don't forget Vonzell Ward is running (was Calvert County Sheriff before). Contra signs ALL over the place, even has brochures in businesses.

I have a feeling Contra will win this one.

In the past the Calvert FOP has voted to back the challenger and not to back anyone. We'll see who they want to be their "boss" this time.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I am not a deputy, but I am a retired Trooper. Let me say that no police officer with any intelligence will tell anyone who they support in any election. Every police officer/agency who has done that in the past has been burnt and paid the price at one level or another. Better for them to just do their job and salute those elected officials than to politic against anyone. Don't fault them for that.

With crime being down near 30 percent over the past decade or so in Calvert county, the Sheriff must be doing something right. Kontra thinks that more deputies need to be in communities. Can't argue with that, but Deputies are in the communities and their visibility is what is driving down crime. Never heard anything about traffic stops being the be all and end all in Calvert county, but something must be working to drive down crime.

Sheriff Evans is a strong supporter of 2A issues, and in fact was in Annapolis when several of the State's Sheriff's testified against SB281. Sheriff Mike Lewis was the most visible, and perhaps stated their case better than anyone else, but Sheriff Evans was with him when he testified. As a result of that, MOM has attempted to penalize every Sheriff who attended that testimony or stood out in any way against it, in any way he could. For Calvert county, it was at his direction (whether or not anyone else took the blame) that all the Troopers who were assigned to the Calvert Investigative Team were transferred to other assignments. This broke up a unit that had one of the highest criminal closure rates in the state. That left the unit seriously understaffed, but the Sheriff responded and with the help of the county commissioners have almost returned the staffing levels to where they were. The investigators may not have the experience that the Troopers who left had, but the Sheriff has responded to a less than ideal situation in a very positive way.

The increase in traffic enforcement is what puts deputies in the communities and their visibility is what is driving down crime. With the Sheriff's support of the Criminal investigative Team, which is now their Criminal Investigative Bureau, I don't see how it is a traffic only department. Can you please provide some examples of the good ol' boy way? Or about some of the things getting swept under the rug? Not trying to start an argument, but making an allegation without an example is just mud slinging.

You may not like the guy personally, but with all the positives I think Sheriff Evans is doing a pretty good job. All politics are local, and for the vast majority of the people I know life in Calvert County is pretty good. I'm sure some people have been pissed off by a deputy, especially those who have received tickets, but I have never known Sheriff Evans to not answer or return my phone calls. For that matter, I have told numerous individuals who had a problem with some aspect of the Sheriff's office to call him personally or stop in and talk to him. Every person I have suggested that to has been more than satisfied with Sheriff Evans. They may not have received the answer they wanted, but they did actually talk to him instead of someone else. That, along with his very strong 2A support is more than enough for me.

Just my .02 cents.

Good stuff. Thanks for a very good post.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lot of people know and like what the Dept. has done over the years under Sheriff Evans.

I've spoken with him on a few limited occasions and was always impressed by his demeanor. The fact he signed off on my Form 1 happily also doesn't hurt my feelings any.

I'll gladly pull the lever for Mike.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Evans has always been nice the few times I have talked to him, and friends that I have that are LEOs are voting for him. Good enough for me.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'm not a big fan of Evans but I also don't know much about Kontra. As for the above comment about deputies usually won't say who they support for fear of the consequences. I did read this article the other day about someone who did come out with support for Kontra(not sure how accurate the info is in this article though):
    http://www.somdnews.com/article/20140502/NEWS/140509846/1045&source=RSS&template=gazette

I also didn't appreciate this past fall when I heard Evans was asking for a 30% raise while when I talk to some of my deputy friends. They claim they haven't gotten raises in years.
    http://www.somdnews.com/article/201...d-see-salary-raises&template=southernMaryland

With all that said, I'm still not entirely sure I'll vote for Kontra. I'll wait til I get some more information on him.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County

Good post, as for the part above. It a Lose-Lose situation for deputies. No matter if you support someone or not. I've heard repercussions for a deputy who refused to support anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom