• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I'm thinking of applying for the maryland permit. My reason is I drop 8000-30000 worth of deposits everyday. It's not my business so would I have to have approval from a owner of my business? As far as the background check is it the same check done as purchasing a gun with the exception of a interview/ reference interview?

Three references unrelated and your wife. They will do a phone interview or in person. Can't help you with the part of you applying as an employee. You would be severely restricted on your permit.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Filling out my application now, do you thnk they will make me do live fire since they won't have my response until after 10/1 or I should be alight if I submit it before 10/1. I have plenty of deposit slips for work.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm not saying what their policy will be but using their insistence on a HQL to pick up handguns purchased prior to Oct 1 but delivered after Oct 1, I would expect them to either reject applications received prior to then or hold them for a certain length of time to allow you to get the training. Drop a pm to ddeanjohnson. Maybe he can get clarification.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Filling out my application now, do you thnk they will make me do live fire since they won't have my response until after 10/1 or I should be alight if I submit it before 10/1. I have plenty of deposit slips for work.

This is a big ??? I have two other biz owner friends that are submitting their apps this week, who knows if MSP will make you fall under the new requirements.

iHasCrabs, make sure you use financial transactions, not just deposits (if you are the owner) Owners make purchases for their business all the time and your restriction (at least mine) would be limited to business financial transactions not just bank runs.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    This is a big ??? I have two other biz owner friends that are submitting their apps this week, who knows if MSP will make you fall under the new requirements.

iHasCrabs, make sure you use financial transactions, not just deposits (if you are the owner) Owners make purchases for their business all the time and your restriction (at least mine) would be limited to business financial transactions not just bank runs.

Most purchases we make in checks though through the mail, I do have a bunch of cash gas receipts from the business

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Most purchases we make in checks though through the mail, I do have a bunch of cash gas receipts from the business

Your missing the point. ALL business owners make transactions at MANY different stores. Walmart, the Grocery Store, Best Buy, Staples,Costco etc

Do you have company checks (rhetorical question) then you potentially make business transactions anywhere.

When you do the interview, fill out the app leave off $$$$ amounts. That is not part of the questions.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Your missing the point. ALL business owners make transactions at MANY different stores. Walmart, the Grocery Store, Best Buy, Staples,Costco etc

Do you have company checks (rhetorical question) then you potentially make business transactions anywhere.

When you do the interview, fill out the app leave off $$$$ amounts. That is not part of the questions.

I am confused, are you saying there is another app. or other paperwork that gets filled out at the interview? Or are you saying that when asked about transactions during the interview $$$$$ amounts should not be offered?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm not saying what their policy will be but using their insistence on a HQL to pick up handguns purchased prior to Oct 1 but delivered after Oct 1, I would expect them to either reject applications received prior to then or hold them for a certain length of time to allow you to get the training. Drop a pm to ddeanjohnson. Maybe he can get clarification.

I hope this is not the case as I have a business owner app. in the process at the moment. After 10/1 renewals require 8 hours of training anyway so I would hope that they would not require it for people who applied well in advance of 10/1.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I am confused, are you saying there is another app. or other paperwork that gets filled out at the interview? Or are you saying that when asked about transactions during the interview $$$$$ amounts should not be offered?

$$$$ amounts should never be offered on any of the apps. He did not ask me at all about $$$$ amounts and the bank letter did not mention any $$$$ amounts.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Agreed and not offered in my app.

When I was interviewed by the troopers and in my application I pointed out that financial transactions occurred wherever I had the right to do business, and that I transported business equipment (firearms and ammunition and computers etc.) in the routine course of business anywhere that I had a right to be. I didn't mention the amount of money, amount and type of firearms, ammunition, or equipment, or the details of my duties as the owner.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    When I was interviewed by the troopers and in my application I pointed out that financial transactions occurred wherever I had the right to do business, and that I transported business equipment (firearms and ammunition and computers etc.) in the routine course of business anywhere that I had a right to be. I didn't mention the amount of money, amount and type of firearms, ammunition, or equipment, or the details of my duties as the owner.

Great to know. Thank you for the feedback. Are you a FFL or are the firearms you transport related to some other type of business activity such as security, etc.? I will have a harder time arguing the transport of firearms for business. I need the permit to carry the firearm to cover me while transporting cash, checks, and business equipment. I have had a MD permit in the past during my time as a public servant. Hopefully the fact that I carried for 4-5 years in the past without shooting someone works in my favor. :D

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Dropped my application off today, the wait begins.
    1. I carry business currency and checks daily
    2. I submitted plenty of deposit slips
    3. Submitted a recent police report from a break in
    4. Submitted multiple recipts for daily financial transactions
    5. Carry business computer with me everyday too

I guess i won't find out until December though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Dropped my application off today, the wait begins.
    1. I carry business currency and checks daily
    2. I submitted plenty of deposit slips
    3. Submitted a recent police report from a break in
    4. Submitted multiple recipts for daily financial transactions
    5. Carry business computer with me everyday too

I guess i won't find out until December though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Best of luck to you! I read about your break-ins somewhere on here. I feel your pain. I worked in the criminal justice system in one of the fine counties of our state for a while and I can tell you the system is absolutely a revolving door. Even if they catch the guys they will be out in short order robbing new victims.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Great to know. Thank you for the feedback. Are you a FFL or are the firearms you transport related to some other type of business activity such as security, etc.? I will have a harder time arguing the transport of firearms for business. I need the permit to carry the firearm to cover me while transporting cash, checks, and business equipment. I have had a MD permit in the past during my time as a public servant. Hopefully the fact that I carried for 4-5 years in the past without shooting someone works in my favor. :D

Business is firearms training, I'm a QHI, and on the HQL instructor list etc., as well as constructing a Simunition civilian range. That notwithstanding, I was less specific about what I was carrying for business but emphasized that I was transporting things of value. The MSP doesn't seem to let the degree of qualification sway their interpretation of G&S. I'm quite qualified myself an they didn't review any of that, were more interested in the existence of a commercial bank account and articles of incorporation. Those were the items that got me around the corner. They simply need to check that box, not validate your credentials. The true reason to provide very broad substantiation of you "need" is to minimize the restrictions they put on your permit. Describe your activities truthfully, but in the most inclusive sense, if you travel with money include any possibility where your employment might take you with money. Make sure that you are as open and thorough as possible when listing the G&S reasons. I gathered from the restrictions on my permit that this is the source of those restrictions as some are pretty specifically worded and a little redundant.

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm thinking of applying for the maryland permit. My reason is I drop 8000-30000 worth of deposits everyday. It's not my business so would I have to have approval from a owner of my business? As far as the background check is it the same check done as purchasing a gun with the exception of a interview/ reference interview?

I can answer the first part; yes, they contact your employer and request a copy of the company's carry policy.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Business is firearms training, I'm a QHI, and on the HQL instructor list etc., as well as constructing a Simunition civilian range. That notwithstanding, I was less specific about what I was carrying for business but emphasized that I was transporting things of value. The MSP doesn't seem to let the degree of qualification sway their interpretation of G&S. I'm quite qualified myself an they didn't review any of that, were more interested in the existence of a commercial bank account and articles of incorporation. Those were the items that got me around the corner. They simply need to check that box, not validate your credentials. The true reason to provide very broad substantiation of you "need" is to minimize the restrictions they put on your permit. Describe your activities truthfully, but in the most inclusive sense, if you travel with money include any possibility where your employment might take you with money. Make sure that you are as open and thorough as possible when listing the G&S reasons. I gathered from the restrictions on my permit that this is the source of those restrictions as some are pretty specifically worded and a little redundant.

When did you get yours? How long from application receipt (check clearing) until interview, and approval/receipt of permit? If you don't mind what do the restrictions say?

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    When did you get yours? How long from application receipt (check clearing) until interview, and approval/receipt of permit? If you don't mind what do the restrictions say?

I'm sure my experience is not valuable in terms of estimating times. I applied March 20ish, 2012, interviewed about 4 weeks later, was denied for no G&S (after writing to request a status) in May 2013. Appealed and during informal review was told to provide articles of incorporation and evidence of a commercial bank account. Received the permit after multiple go-rounds and one copy never delivered. The whole process wrapped up in just under 18 months. If you lead with the best information it can be done in about 90 days I think.

My restriction are valid between residence, and work or while actively involved in financial business transactions or transporting training firearms/ammunition. I'm working on strategies to get rid of them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm sure my experience is not valuable in terms of estimating times. I applied March 20ish, 2012, interviewed about 4 weeks later, was denied for no G&S (after writing to request a status) in May 2013. Appealed and during informal review was told to provide articles of incorporation and evidence of a commercial bank account. Received the permit after multiple go-rounds and one copy never delivered. The whole process wrapped up in just under 18 months. If you lead with the best information it can be done in about 90 days I think.

My restriction are valid between residence, and work or while actively involved in financial business transactions or transporting training firearms/ammunition. I'm working on strategies to get rid of them.

Best of luck to you in getting the restrictions removed. Please keep me posted on this. My experience in the mid to late 90's when I had a MD Handgun permit was a breeze compared to what I had to put together this time. Last time my restriction simply read "off duty" which was unrestricted because no one could carry where I worked not even an FBI agent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom