• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Location, location, location .

People who are in the population centers of MoCo, with priority of travel time are their target audience .

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Got my HQL class from Gilberts Indoor. The entire experience was OK, but there was a few things that ticked me.
    First, they made me buy/rent a handgun and ammo(50, 9mm) at a total of $30, which was not that bad. But that was on top of the $65 HQL class that was supposed include live shooting.
    Second, after I shot 15 rounds during the class under the instruction of staff, all went back to classroom, leaving everything on the bench. When the class was done, the counter was clean, and I don't know the fate of my 35 round leftover. Keep in mind that this was my first time shooting a handgun, so not getting 35/50 round seemed a big deal.
    Third, my cert was not dated, so msp barked, and I had to ask for help. Msp accepted an email from the instructor as good, so it went through. I wonder if other people had the same issue w/ their certs.
    That's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
    Needless to say, I haven't been back, even though they have 1-mon free range time after an HQL class. Don't have a plan to go either.

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Since this thread has been revived does anyone have any experience with Heritage in Frederick? I went to Gilbert's to look around. The staff was pleasant enough and the facility was nice however the cost of ammo was a bit much. We went from United Guns in Rockville to Gilbert's so knew how much ammo was supposed to cost. Even with the membership discount at Gilbert's it is cheaper to buy your own ammo elsewhere and use that but they don't allow that. I also didn't like that the guy at Gilbert's said it was a state of MD "law" to use range ammo only and ye other ranges don't do that unless you're using one of their rental guns.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The requirement for the ammo was a supposed zoning requirement Mo Co, not MD, imposed on Gilbert to get the zoning he needed to build the facility.

There is some documentation I have read from County Council hearings that leads me to believe it's true

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In general, most of the strange, illogical restrictions on ranges are imposed in the zoning process . Wheel and deal over the " voluntary " details, or spend years litigating while your capital is tied up not making any return.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Since this thread has been revived does anyone have any experience with Heritage in Frederick? I went to Gilbert's to look around. The staff was pleasant enough and the facility was nice however the cost of ammo was a bit much. We went from United Guns in Rockville to Gilbert's so knew how much ammo was supposed to cost. Even with the membership discount at Gilbert's it is cheaper to buy your own ammo elsewhere and use that but they don't allow that. I also didn't like that the guy at Gilbert's said it was a state of MD "law" to use range ammo only and ye other ranges don't do that unless you're using one of their rental guns.
    Never been to Heritage, but The Machinegun Nest is pretty well-regarded. IMHO, your best bets for ranges nearest to MoCo are TMGN, NRA, and AGC. Depending on where you are, one or the other may be best. (And if you're really near Gilbert's, you're kind of far from all of them, unfortunately.)

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

Like he said, no bargain there. I don't care for the place much. There are other choices in our area. Look at the map in this thread.

MDShooters Firearms Map
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=135949

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=39.16586934793297,-76.94632510546876&z=10

HTC and TMGN (the machine gun nest) are both good as are many other ranges in the area (see map links above). Each have things that you may or may not like about them. But you will need to go outside MoCo for them.

I don't see TMGN listed, but HTC is an IP here on MDS https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=243

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Since this thread has been revived does anyone have any experience with Heritage in Frederick?

Yes, I live about a mile away and go frequently. It's a nice facility. It caters more to the beginner/less experienced shooter but, I've never had any negative experiences there. Once they see that you know what you're doing and are handling your firearms safely they'll leave you alone. You may have an RSO come over every now and then and ask if you want to keep your brass. That's about it. :thumbsup:

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Thanks I'll check the others out. Frederick is down the street. I'll have to weigh the price of gas and time if I choose to go to Frederick versus down the street to Gilbert's. I was just turned off that the price of "discounted" ammo was more than if you bought the same brand down the street.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If I time it correct and with luck, I can get to NRA in ~35 minutes from SW Montgomery County. The other ranges mentioned in thread can not compare. NRA member, $15, and bring your kid on same lane no extra charge. Fifty yards, fifteen lanes. You can move the shooting table away and draw from holster, or turn the table lengthwise to use seated with rifle. You can shoot with ear plugs only at NRA, not so at Heritage.

sht4fun

Mar 19, 2017
    Whats the ammo prices like at gilberts? Just moved to MoCo =(

I'm a member at Gilbert's. I find it convenient and because I go on weekdays, there is no wait for a lane and it's not crowded.
    A 50 rounds box of 9mm is $11.95.
    50 rounds box of 223 $25.95
    50 rounds 38 special $19.95
    50 rounds magnum 357 $18.95.

The price of ammo is a few dollars more but then I save money on gas not driving to ranges farther away.

sht4fun

Mar 19, 2017
    Got my HQL class from Gilberts Indoor. The entire experience was OK, but there was a few things that ticked me.
    First, they made me buy/rent a handgun and ammo(50, 9mm) at a total of $30, which was not that bad. But that was on top of the $65 HQL class that was supposed include live shooting.
    Second, after I shot 15 rounds during the class under the instruction of staff, all went back to classroom, leaving everything on the bench. When the class was done, the counter was clean, and I don't know the fate of my 35 round leftover. Keep in mind that this was my first time shooting a handgun, so not getting 35/50 round seemed a big deal.
    Third, my cert was not dated, so msp barked, and I had to ask for help. Msp accepted an email from the instructor as good, so it went through. I wonder if other people had the same issue w/ their certs.
    That's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
    Needless to say, I haven't been back, even though they have 1-mon free range time after an HQL class. Don't have a plan to go either.

I also took my HQL class at Gilbert's. With our group, we were instructed to write our names on our ammo box. I went back the next week, asked for my ammo box and shot the remaining rounds.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I had a month membership. I'd buy a box 9mm and probably shoot a 150rds. :innocent0

Oct 18, 2017
    MOCO-nistan
    Today my wife and I visited:
    • Heritage
    • TMGN
    • On Target

She preferred Heritage. Bright, quiet, and a lot of women both shooting, employees, and instructors. 50% off of any classes offered for members and other benefits. She loved it actually so we’ll be signing up. Gilbert’s is 4 miles away but she didn’t care for it. So off to Frederick we’ll go. There’s a Krispy Kreme less than a mile away so we’ll definitely be going together on Saturday mornings after paying the family yearly membership both to Heritage and KK.

Even if she didn’t sign up I would pick either Heritage or TMGN simply because of hours of operation.

Nothing wrong that I saw with Gilbert’s just not my preference.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The requirement for the ammo was a supposed zoning requirement Mo Co, not MD, imposed on Gilbert to get the zoning he needed to build the facility.

There is some documentation I have read from County Council hearings that leads me to believe it's true

You are correct. The only way he could get the range built was if people used the ammo they brought their. The county conceal and zoning commission did not want people walking around the area with their own ammo. They were afraid people might use their weapons outside the range and shoot everyone... Otherwise no go on building the range....

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Today my wife and I visited:
    • Heritage
    • TMGN
    • On Target

She preferred Heritage. Bright, quiet, and a lot of women both shooting, employees, and instructors. 50% off of any classes offered for members and other benefits. She loved it actually so we’ll be signing up. Gilbert’s is 4 miles away but she didn’t care for it. So off to Frederick we’ll go. There’s a Krispy Kreme less than a mile away so we’ll definitely be going together on Saturday mornings after paying the family yearly membership both to Heritage and KK.

Even if she didn’t sign up I would pick either Heritage or TMGN simply because of hours of operation.

Nothing wrong that I saw with Gilbert’s just not my preference.

I think Heritage is a great choice if you go for the annual membership. It's not cheap but there are a lot of perks, including a somewhat generous quantity of free gun rentals per week (2?), discounts on training classes, ammunition, etc. I'd do it but I'm just not home often enough to get my money's worth out of a full membership.

My wife likes Heritage, too. That's saying a lot considering it's the closest she's ever got to a gun range (of any kind). Heritage does a good job of cultivating female shooters and making them feel comfortable. Every now and then I hear their radio ads on the local stations here in Frederick promoting 'date nights at the range' and training classes specifically for women.

As nice as it is, there's a couple of things Heritage could to do to make me happier as a fairly regular customer.

1) Rewards/Frequent Shooter Program for non-members. I'm not asking for much. Maybe, a free lane rental for every 4 or 5 times I pay the regular $25 fee? That would make me feel like my business was appreciated. Hell, I might even buy something else with the $25 I'm saving. Never know.

2) Add a coffee/sandwich/snack bar. The vending machines are totally lame. One of the things I like about ESS in Manassas is having a huge area to take a break between sessions and (at least) brew-up a Keurig. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Go make a deal with Baltimore Tea & Coffee less than a mile away.

3) Walking into Heritage is like walking into a doctor's office. Surely there's something you can do to make it seem a little less sterile because right now, I keep expecting someone to come out wearing a white lab coat and stethoscope, pointing me in the direction of Blaster229's doppelganger wearing a rubber glove with an extended, lubricated index finger. The place is devoid of any personality whatsoever. I don't know if that's intentional or if it's an oversight but, damn...if I wasn't carrying my range bag, I'd think I was going in for a colonoscopy.

4) Shooting glasses over Heritage's shooting glasses. I'm usually fogging-up badly after 30 minutes or so. The fact that the range isn't terribly bright, to begin with, means my accuracy suffers because I can barely see my sights, let alone the center of the target. I know safety is paramount but I've never seen any other range with a similar policy.

Those are really my only complaints about Heritage.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think Heritage is a great choice if you go for the annual membership. It's not cheap but there are a lot of perks, including a somewhat generous quantity of free gun rentals per week (2?), discounts on training classes, ammunition, etc. I'd do it but I'm just not home often enough to get my money's worth out of a full membership.

My wife likes Heritage, too. That's saying a lot considering it's the closest she's ever got to a gun range (of any kind). Heritage does a good job of cultivating female shooters and making them feel comfortable. Every now and then I hear their radio ads on the local stations here in Frederick promoting 'date nights at the range' and training classes specifically for women.

As nice as it is, there's a couple of things Heritage could to do to make me happier as a fairly regular customer.

1) Rewards/Frequent Shooter Program for non-members. I'm not asking for much. Maybe, a free lane rental for every 4 or 5 times I pay the regular $25 fee? That would make me feel like my business was appreciated. Hell, I might even buy something else with the $25 I'm saving. Never know.

2) Add a coffee/sandwich/snack bar. The vending machines are totally lame. One of the things I like about ESS in Manassas is having a huge area to take a break between sessions and (at least) brew-up a Keurig. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Go make a deal with Baltimore Tea & Coffee less than a mile away.

3) Walking into Heritage is like walking into a doctor's office. Surely there's something you can do to make it seem a little less sterile because right now, I keep expecting someone to come out wearing a white lab coat and stethoscope, pointing me in the direction of Blaster229's doppelganger wearing a rubber glove with an extended, lubricated index finger. The place is devoid of any personality whatsoever. I don't know if that's intentional or if it's an oversight but, damn...if I wasn't carrying my range bag, I'd think I was going in for a colonoscopy.

4) Shooting glasses over Heritage's shooting glasses. I'm usually fogging-up badly after 30 minutes or so. The fact that the range isn't terribly bright, to begin with, means my accuracy suffers because I can barely see my sights, let alone the center of the target. I know safety is paramount but I've never seen any other range with a similar policy.

Those are really my only complaints about Heritage.
    All excellent points which I am nearly 100% in agreement with. That fogging up part really brings up memories of my last trip there. Despite the few shortcomings mentioned, it is by far the best place to shoot indoors in Maryland.

Gilbert's isn't even close in comparison and the forced sale of ammunition at Gilbert's really blows.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    All excellent points which I am nearly 100% in agreement with. That fogging up part really brings up memories of my last trip there. Despite the few shortcomings mentioned, it is by far the best place to shoot indoors in Maryland.

Gilbert's isn't even close in comparison and the forced sale of ammunition at Gilbert's really blows.

Another odd thing there is leaving. They take your ID while shooting. A couple times waited ~15 minutes after shooting for someone to check me out and return my ID. That is a Batsh*t crazy procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom