• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ED12123

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy, MD
    Has anyone had experience selling or buying firearms (handgun) online? I've only ever purchased locally, never from a store/individual online. I'm looking to sell/trade my Glock 17 and pick up a Glock 19 or 23. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone local that's interested. I looked into GunBroker.com, but I'm not sure the proper steps needed to do this legally.

Chris

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Once you find someone interested, you either meet at an FFL, or meet at MSP to do the transfer. It's pretty straight forward from there.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've purchased a number of handguns online...sold a few as well. Everything has to go through a FFL holder. What you need to be aware of is that some FFL holders will only accept a firearm from another FFL holder while some will accept it from a private citizen with a photocopy of their drivers license. For handguns or long guns with 10+ round magazines you have to be aware of state law in the location you're selling to...you may not be legally able to transfer the magazines. Outside of that, you're good to go.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You can always go the consignment route if you don't want to go the in person route. There are a number of IP's that do quite well with consignments.

ED12123

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy, MD
    Once you find someone interested, you either meet at an FFL, or meet at MSP to do the transfer. It's pretty straight forward from there.

Yes, and I've done this before when I purchased from a local friend. I was more looking for advice on selling online/out of state.

ED12123

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy, MD
    I've purchased a number of handguns online...sold a few as well. Everything has to go through a FFL holder. What you need to be aware of is that some FFL holders will only accept a firearm from another FFL holder while some will accept it from a private citizen with a photocopy of their drivers license. For handguns or long guns with 10+ round magazines you have to be aware of state law in the location you're selling to...you may not be legally able to transfer the magazines. Outside of that, you're good to go.

Great info! I think it's the dealing with an FFL part that makes me a little nervous. I'd want to make sure all my bases are covered so I don't screw up the process.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Great info! I think it's the dealing with an FFL part that makes me a little nervous.

It shouldn't. A good FFL will advise you of the process so you do the right thing. You're paying them for a service. I can send you the contact info of an FFL I've used that's really decent, if you like. He's down in Rockville though.

ED12123

Apr 8, 2012
    Mount Airy, MD
    United gun shop consignment.
    Lots of activity on their page.

You can always go the consignment route if you don't want to go the in person route. There are a number of IP's that do quite well with consignments.

I looked into consignment, but was deterred when I found out how little I'd actually get from the sale (yikes!). I'm not THAT pressed to sell. I'd prefer to sell local and just deal with the MSP transfer paperwork. If I can't make that happen, then I think selling online is my best option.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Buying online is easy, as has been mentioned. Purchase, contact local FFL of your choice, have them send FFL, go to store when they tell you it has arrived. Rest is just like buying from them.

Selling online, you sell, you get paid, you get copy of FFL, you ship. You cannot ship handgun USPS (only FFL to FFL) and you have to ship UPS or FedEx overnight. Some FFLs will only accept from an FFL, so work through local FFL of your choice. May not cost much more, as they can ship USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom