• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Ski, was this class accredited?

Just finished up the Dark Angel course. To start off, the $400 price tag may be a turn off for some. It's a personal decision to decide if it's worth it. I'm limited to what this area has to offer so it was worth the money to me and I feel I got my $400 worth.

It's a two day course covering trauma. The description on their website is accurate. This is beyond first aid and SABC. Day one is lecture and power point. To break it up, there's some show and tell thrown in with some hands on with med kit items. Each student is given a training tourniquet and the instructor will randomly call out a limb on you or you partner for the TQ to be applied. The material was interesting enough to me that I didn't find it dry or boring.

Day two was the "practical application" of what was learned on day one. This is what I found most valuable. All of my previous training through the military was death by power point and looking at training aids that were just passed around the class. With Dark Angel, there were ample training aids to actually practice with. We were able to not only apply TQs, but practice with several types available on the market. I found this beneficial to find out which TQ worked best for me. We practiced applying different pressure dressings, plugging wounds with hemostatic dressings, applying splints, and running various scenarios where we left the room and walked back in to figure out what was wrong and begin treatment.

It was a lot in two days but I felt it was worth it. It reinforced some things and taught me a few new things as well. The class was conducted in a professional manner as one would expect, yet was still relaxed enough for maximum participation.

I can't speak to any other course offered in the civilian world as this is my only experience, but I just wanted to provide some feedback since this thread is the most recent. If you have any questions about something specific, I'll be happy to try and answer them as best I can. And it's always cool to add another challenge coin to the collection. Especially one that you can only get by attending the course.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Ski, was this class accredited?

Unfortunately, for civilians, no. We had to USAF medics and loca LEO that attended so I would guess that there must be some accreditation for them.

Again, accreditation or not, it would be up to each individual to decide if it's worth the price of admition. I know that should go without saying but it isn't cheap. With that being said, if you have the $$$, I think anyone short of being an EMT would walk away from this course with some new knowledge.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Unfortunately, for civilians, no. We had to USAF medics and loca LEO that attended so I would guess that there must be some accreditation for them.

Again, accreditation or not, it would be up to each individual to decide if it's worth the price of admition. I know that should go without saying but it isn't cheap. With that being said, if you have the $$$, I think anyone short of being an EMT would walk away from this course with some new knowledge.
    I completely agree, I feel that everyone should have the training to treat any wound that they can inflict. What you describe sounds a lot like TCCC or LEFR-TCC. Both excellent programs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I completely agree, I feel that everyone should have the training to treat any wound that they can inflict. What you describe sounds a lot like TCCC or LEFR-TCC. Both excellent programs.

TCCC is very close to what this was so you know exactly what to expect.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Does $400 include a DAM kit to take home?

Nope. That's a pretty crappy deal. I spent the extra $145 and ordered a kit anyway since I already have one from Imminent Threat Solutions. Dark Angel has a sale on their coyote kits right now at 15% off. Either way, I could justify the expense in my mind and felt it was worth it.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    thats pretty crazy to give you all of that training then send you home with a coin and no gear. It would almost make sense to include it in the overall cost of the class.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    thats pretty crazy to give you all of that training then send you home with a coin and no gear. It would almost make sense to include it in the overall cost of the class.

Yeah, I agree. A med kit included in the price would have been great. But it is what it is and it is slim pickings out here. Outside of the cost, it was a great experience and I learned quite a bit.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Yeah, I agree. A med kit included in the price would have been great. But it is what it is and it is slim pickings out here. Outside of the cost, it was a great experience and I learned quite a bit.
    Would an accredited TECC course for $525 with an IFAK and a one year NAEMT membership included be interesting?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    it is mandatory in our group to have one of their full size kits in the classwork and during range time. Would not leave home without it. Good stuff!

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Would an accredited TECC course for $525 with an IFAK and a one year NAEMT membership included be interesting?

That might be a little more than I would be interested in. The Dark Angel course was on par with what I was expecting to get out of it. I wasn't exactly looking to get any certification. Just better my knowledge and confidence.
    But for that price, I wouldn't turn it down if I had the money. My spousal unit is a nurse so any additional skills would complement hers.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    To my knowledge, having a certification does not mean any specific protection. Non-licensed folks have a degree of protection under Good Samaritan consideration, but nothing protects in cases of negligence. It might be beneficial if you appliance tourniquet in a bleeding emergency according to the guidelines and a subsequent injury occurred. Better to have a lawyer deliver that opinion though.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    The Good Samaritan stuff is covered near the beginning of the course. It did not address any accreditation outside of licensed individuals like EMTs or nurses.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Not worthless, perhaps not applicable to you specifically. It is useful for those in the public safety professions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom