• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Check with Engage Armament in Kensington. Great folks to do business with. A bunch of us purchased 6920's from them last month.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And how is it that every time I buy a gun, I have this insane need to play dress up with it? I'm already looking at optics, fore grips, etc. and I haven't even shot the darn thing! I need to find a cheaper hobby...
    Perfectly natural. Some suggestions:

If you can afford it, the Aimpoint PRO is a great, combat-ready reflex sight in the $350-$400 range. If you can't afford it, look at the Primary Arms reflex sights - they run less than $100, but are generally thought to be excellent training optics (they lack some of the extreme durability, clarity, and battery life of the Aimpoint, obviously).

A good tactical latch can speed up certain charging handle operations. Either buy a PRI Combat Latch and install it yourself, or look at the BCM Gunfighter charging handles. (I've done both, and have no real preference besides the Combat Latch being a much cheaper option.)

IMHO, the Magpul BAD device is a must-have for bolt-catch operations, especially in conjunction with the aforementioned tac latch.

I install all three on all my AR-15s, and have not regretted it thus far. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Which size latch do you recommend for the BCM? They have 3. I have avergae sized hands.
    I got the medium. It works for me. The large looked like it would also work, but my philosophy is that you want to keep the latch to the bare minimum needed for a reliable left-hand charge. The standard AR-15 CH latch is a bit small for that, but not by huge amounts.

The only latch I ever found to be too large for serious use was the original Badger latch. It was an absolute pleasure to use, but I can really imagine the pain of that latch slamming into me repeatedly as I haul the slung rifle around. Maybe it would work on a scoped precision rifle that was expected to remain cased most of the time? *shrugs*

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I figured the medium to be best without ever seing it. I will order this and the Magpul battery assist today.

Thanks for the advice sir.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The BAD enjoys an interesting reputation... some people don't love the idea of having yet another thing that can break on their AR-15 or altering the manual of arms, but it's reasonably tough and the speed boost it gives during a reload or clear is pretty nice once you've trained with it. I think you will like it, but if not, I'm sure someone will buy it off you.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I'm in the market for a Colt AR in the near future. Just curious where you bought it and if you had shopped around anywhere else to compare prices.

2A. Great guys and great prices. They moved in a bigger space, so they have more items on display now.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I just purchased a Colt 6920 as well, and yes its hard to not make any changes to them.

So far I've put on MBus flipdown rear sights, and changed the handguard. I was able to find a Colt Marked Troy rail from a takeoff, so I added that, and some PMag magz.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    No pictures yet, but I was able to take the Colt out yesterday morning to send some rounds down range.

What a sweet shooting gun. Great trigger, and the sights were already dialed in.

I only sent 60 rounds down range, but I was surprised by how dirty it was when I was cleaning it this morning. Luckily it's easy to work on.

Thanks 2A for getting me started on the AR!

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    1st picture - stock but for the mag.

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
      photo (8).jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 161

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    When buying my first AR,yes you will get more:)
    For optics since I was unsure of what I really wanted. Bought a Aimpoint red dot. Cost about $40.00 but gave me a feel for the red dot scope concept without breaking the bank.
    The red dot scopes are great but found that any shooting past 100 yards. The "dot" took up too much of the target for presision shooting thus the Nikon 223 scope which by the way is a great scope for AR's.

In the end decided on a Nikon 223 scope but the Aimpoint red dot did end up on my M4:)
    Aimpoint are inexpensive optics if undecided on what you really want in an optics package. fwiw

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    What Aimpoint model is $40? I thought they were all in the $300+ range, especially for all their military grade stuff.

That Nikon 223 is pretty bad ass. Maybe on my next one ;)

Man, these things are almost as addictive as Glocks!

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    My bad. ""Primary Arms is where I bought my inexpensive red dot.
    Got the 3 moa red dot that has held up for 2 years of use.
    Not the top of the line but will give you a feel for that type of sight on your AR without a major investment.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom