• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I will likely be picking up a windham AR-10 in the near future and have been thinking on scopes :)

Probably wont be used for more than 300-400 yard shots at most. Most of the time, probably 100-200 yards shots.

Ive been looking at leupold 3-9 power vx-r scopes.

Thoughts on those or another scope that fits the bill in the same price range as the leupold?

I don't want to over or under scope I suppose :)

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Consider SWFA scopes. It's a x10, but I use mine from 100-1200yds. Still strong after 5-6yrs. The first one I got did blow a windage knob, but they had a replacement out to me the same day and have been happy every since.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    It’s all subjective to what you like and what you’re willing to spend as well as the capabilities you want. I will be getting a Leupold MK6 1-6x20 on my SR-25EC. The MK6 3-18x44 would be my choice for longer ranges on my other SR-25 for the lighter weight and higher magnification. However, they are not exactly cheap. So cost may not be appealing or necessary for what you’re using the scope for. Someone will come along with more affordable options. Just my $.02

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    yeah, that's why I don't feel the need to pay and arm and a leg. I am a fan of boco but in this case I wont need to over scope with the type of shooting ill be doing with this rifle.

I mean an 18 inch barrel shouldn't have a problem with 500-600 yards id imagine but I honestly don't think ill even come close to pushing it that far, thus my thought of a 3-9 power would probably suffice.

I don't want something I have to spend an hour trying to find the reticle either :)

I'm a simple shooter and like simple reticles, so no fancy schmancy lol.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Vortex or Athlon. I own a Couple Vortex products and they’re really nice. They’re a bit more expensive than the Athlon though. I’ve held and looked through the Athlon Argos and Ares. They have really good quality glass for the price. It does feel a bit cheaper than Vortex or other higher end scopes. But they have a great warranty too. You would probably not go wrong with either company. As far as magnification they each offer a ton.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I just got a leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm and a badger ordnance unimount for my dpms gii recon. I like it. Need to get to the range though and test it out.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    3-9x VX-R scopes are very nice. I think that magnification range is perfect for an AR-10. On the flip side, were it for an AR-15, I'd go with 1-4x or 2-7x.

For the reticle, you can order the scope through Leupold's custom shop and pick the reticle you want for a minor upcharge. The process is much quicker and easier than buying a Leupold scope somewhere else and shipping it to Leupold for a reticle swap.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    3-9x VX-R scopes are very nice. I think that magnification range is perfect for an AR-10. On the flip side, were it for an AR-15, I'd go with 1-4x or 2-7x.

For the reticle, you can order the scope through Leupold's custom shop and pick the reticle you want for a minor upcharge. The process is much quicker and easier than buying a Leupold scope somewhere else and shipping it to Leupold for a reticle swap.

my only qualm with going through leupold is that ill have to pay msrp, when if I get a scope through a retailer, it will be a few hundred less.

btw, I have the vx-r 1-4 pig plex reticle on my lwrc di rifle and love it. I think a 1-4 is right at home on an ar-15. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom