• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Remember in the recent past when you could not find your favorite powder or other reloading supplies? We may be heading into a similar situation with the upcoming elections so I will make a suggestion.

Since Maryland limits the amount of powder you can have on hand you may want to plan ahead and take some steps to minimize the problem.

First keep current on your reloading don't let your unloaded brass pile up. Those are all little powder storage containers that don't count toward the amount of powder on hand. Keep your brass loaded.

Second treat your powder supply like your gas tank during times of potential bad weather. In other words fill up more frequently. As soon as you use up a pound of powder replace it, don't wait until you are almost out to replenish your supply or you may discover the next shortage already started and the one that sold out first was your favorite.

Third there is no limit on primers, bullets, and brass so stock those in depth. Reloading components make good trading stock with other reloaders who may have powder to trade.

Finally even if you don't reload you might want to pick up a couple of pounds of the most popular powders and put them on the shelf (in Maryland you can have up to 5 pounds). Then if there is an ammo shortage, remember those, you will have something to give someone who reloads just in case you can't find ammo and he can't find powder, perhaps he will reciprocate.

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I started reloading 3 years ago i still have yet to see any varget on a shelf anywhere in my travels. Oh well rl15 works amazing in my 223 and 308

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The more I have the more I shoot.
    I need several items and normally purchase at gun shows in support but that is a crap shoot ... you are correct sir and it is not a time to gamble. The first time I found CFE Pistol it was $35 lb. if you could find it, Reloading Unlimited - Richmind show, forget the date.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I started reloading 3 years ago i still have yet to see any varget on a shelf anywhere in my travels. Oh well rl15 works amazing in my 223 and 308

Try IMR 3031, I have used it in 22-250, 30-06 and works great. This powder was originally developed for the .223 round. Today I am using it for 8mm. IMR 3031 is plentiful. Also I have 4 pounds for sale @ $25.00 per pound. PM me if would like to chat,

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Try IMR 3031, I have used it in 22-250, 30-06 and works great. This powder was originally developed for the .223 round. Today I am using it for 8mm. IMR 3031 is plentiful. Also I have 4 pounds for sale @ $25.00 per pound. PM me if would like to chat,

A little fast for my m1a and m1 garand raps the bolt pretty hard and I worried about bending the op rod, but a tack driver in both my 30-06 and .308 bolt gun.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You need to have both Federal and State license to deal in smokeless or black powder.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will add this to the OP's very good point. If you have family or friends (at different residences) who will let you keep powder at their houses, that gives you the ability to store way more powder the the measly 5lbs the state allows you in your own home.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Has anyone been inspected for the amount of powder they have?

Bass Pro logs powder sales. Who else does?

And at shows or shipped to you, there is no MD record.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County

Didn't know bass pro did that I bought my first pound from them and wasn't asked to sign nothing like the ammo log that has been disappearing. And you can make online purchases of over 5 lbs to a MD residence. I believe that is a valid question if anyone has been inspected? Or is this just a scare tactic or has been enforced before?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Powder Valley has 1 lb. containers of Varget. Whether you buy one or more, the hazmat fee is the same so, buy 5 at a time.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I have never known a hobbyist to be inspected by the fire marshal. I do know folks that have registered/licensed with the state to be inspected. I don't know how they would know how much powder you would have. I guess it's one of those things that they won't know until something happens.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I have gotten plenty on line and from shows. It's out there.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have never known a hobbyist to be inspected by the fire marshal. I do know folks that have registered/licensed with the state to be inspected. I don't know how they would know how much powder you would have. I guess it's one of those things that they won't know until something happens.

I would not expect to be inspected in advance. Rather I would expect a fine if there were a fire at your residence and the Fire Marshall found powder above the 5 pound limit during the fire investigation, after the fact of a fire. Act accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom