• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, most clubs I've seen have membership or club meeting you have to attend at the very least.

Hopewell in Stewartstown has a 300 yard range, you have to put like 20 hours in a year for work, not that big of a deal.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Lol. It is your money, and if you're really not into shooting that's cool.

It's somewhat ironic that you mention refreshing the liberty tree but only get out once a year, that sounds about right.

I guess you plan on using Arby's suace to refresh that tree.

Uh, I said to that range and whats the liberty tree and shooting ranges have to do with anything?

Your comment about the members at SLCFSA was stupid and then you make another stupid comment. You should just have took the heat and moved on.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Oh please... they could double membership and still only be at 20 percent capacity 50 weeks a year.

With such a membership bases they could actually better maintain or gasp... expand.

Growing the sport is not a bad thing.

Actually the club has been expanding and has extended one range out to 300 yards and built several new pistol ranges/lanes over the last several years and this past fall bought additional adjacent land. A set amount of each members dues goes into a land acquisition fund so there will be money available to expand. In addition there is a committee looking at expansion plans and has floated plans for a possible club house expansion to solicit member feedback and input for consideration in the planning process.

The general club maintenance is currently handled by volunteers and all members are welcome to help. Larger projects are done with contractors or a combination of both. One of the reasons the dues have remained reasonable.

The ranges, like most, are busiest on the weekends with much less activity through the week when most people work. The number of people on the ranges actually went down and the number of paid memberships finally reached the pre set cap when the club installed an electronic gate to control access instead of using combination locks that were changed once a year. It seems some members were sharing the combination with friends and family who were not members. If the range usage and member satisfaction warrants and wait times on the weekends does not get out of control the membership cap number is subject to revision if the club members wish to vote on it.

Since there are two pistol ranges, two rifle ranges, a trap range, archery range, as well as several pistol pits, and a number of individual pistol lanes and the club house is used for indoor archery, youth air rifle, and fast draw shooting the activities are decentralized. Looking at the club calendar you will find a fairly full schedule throughout the year however the activities seldom occupy all of the facilities so if you shoot a variety of things you can usually find a place to shoot something.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    As I read these posts it occurred to me that the "Stringer Bell" from "The Wire" put in a lot of thought before he spoke. As a result he was always listened to when he did. Chris

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    One week left before sign up on the 17th. See the OP for links to the details or go to the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsman's web sight.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I went and signed up today. There was quite a crowd there. Hopefully that won't translate to huge crowds on the range. Fortunately, I can go during the week, so maybe it won't be bad. It looks like a nice place to shoot.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Same here. I'd bet 400+ people were there. Agreed, it looks like a nice place with plenty of lanes.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Same here. I'd bet 400+ people were there. Agreed, it looks like a nice place with plenty of lanes.

I found out tonight that they had 192 people sign up on Sunday. Had to divide them into two groups for the range orientation. I hope everyone from MDS who signed up will have lots of enjoyable shooting sessions and will join in some of the club activities and spend some time volunteering to help the club run smoothly.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Any of you new members it would be interesting to see a report on your first trip to the range. What you shot, how busy it was, how you liked it, etc.

LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    I joined earlier this month and went to shoot for the first time yesterday with my daughter. We started at the 100 yard rifle range and we were the only ones there. There were probably 4 or 5 people shooting at the concrete pistol bays but plenty of open space if anyone else wanted to join. Someone had shoveled a path to the 25, 50 and 100 yard targets which was pretty nice and not a bad walk at all. We shot about a 100 rounds and were finally joined by 3 guys that wanted to shoot their rifles. They were very nice (and safe) and the atmosphere was pleasant to say the least. The benches were nice with plenty of room to spread out and the barriers between some of them will be nice to deflect the brass when there are others shooting. We shot for about an hour and then moved over to the pistol bays. By that time everyone else was gone so we had that area to ourselves. We shot a little bit there and after cleaning up after ourselves, were on our way. I believe they had some sort of event going on at the clubhouse because there were a bunch of cars parked in the lot. I know the cold weather probably had something to due with the lack of people there but I was impressed with the facility. I only really have Elk Neck to compare it to which isn't really a comparison at all.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I was hoping to get up there today for the first time but will probably not make it until next week. Are there clothespins already out at the chicken wire or would it be a good idea to bring a handful?

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There usually clothespins around but they do get shot up so I keep a pack from the dollar store in my range bag.

RJG202

Jan 15, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    Atglen has a fixed membership (1500 I think) and,... good for them, that's a real selling point for some folks. Most people don't want to deal with the yahoos at Elk Neck,
    Atglen for me is nice, their membership has a wait list now I heard plus initiation fee. I have belonged for years and never had issues like what Elk Neck is known for. I went to Elk Neck once and once I saw the craziness I left (maybe I went on a bad day). Today I took my daughter (12) and let her shoot some 22's for the first time. I personally like the outdoor ranges as it is not as noisy most of the time. The down side is you have fixed target distances.

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Any of you new members it would be interesting to see a report on your first trip to the range.

I went up for the first time yesterday after lunch. 62 with light winds. Went to the 100 yd. range and observed for a while to see what the routine is.

There were about 5 people there shooting at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Nice folks, they went cold when my target started flapping in the wind so I could fix it. Zeroed one AR at 100 and the other at 25. Soon after everyone had left and I had the range to myself.

Very relaxed and laid back with 0 loose cannons. Glad I signed up to this club!

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I've been up almost e dry weekend since I joined. Last Saturday 0745 I was the only person there. Only me and one other guy to about 1130

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom